How much can I earn?

spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
Certs:
A+
Network+
Security+

Education:
High School Diploma

What type of jobs can I get, and how much can I earn? How much more would I earn if I had a college degree (Bachelor/Masters)?

Comments

• brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    How much you earn depends on where you live. Someone in New York would make double what I make in Alabama...but the COLA is much lower here.

It also depends on your age and experience. Certs are great and can help you get an interview, but when it comes down to it, they're going to want to know what you can do.

With your situation, I would expect to start out like most people...at the bottom of the chain doing helpdesk type work. You're not "owed" anything just because of a couple of certs.

Degrees are more for development and web type positions...even then they're still difficult to get because of no experience...I know first hand. Certs are more for sys admin types.

I probably never would have gone to college if I knew certs were just as good in the computer world.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably a helpdesk job in the beginning. How much you would make depends on where you live. If you lived in FL, you'll probably make $20000 something a year, similar gig in NY might get you $30000 something.

I'd say that considering you are 18, fresh out of school, get yourself a helpdesk job, stick with it for a year or so. Try to get an MCP in that time, then start looking. It's easy to get spent working in a helpdesk role, but remeber it's just your first step. You DO NOT want to jump straight into deep water. Slug it out, you'll get there....Good Luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    icon_cool.gif billions and billions...
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You might be worth $30K now, but at this point you should be more concerned about what you could be worth in 5-7 years. A couple thousand less now for better experience will get you more money later.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • spartensparten Banned Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ah k..only $30k.

well truth is im going 2 college to get my BS, and maybe masters, ive obtained those certs listed, but i was wondering if it was really worth it to continue my education or not and if it will in time help my chances of getting a decent salary (atleast $50k).
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, definitely get your degree! But please don't wait four years to start working. You have a great start with the certs, you should be able to land something to rack up some months/years in the experience column while you get a degree. Find any and everything thing to get you experience and don't worry about pay so much right now. You can find something PT and go to school full time, or work FT and school PT (though I would suggest going full steam on the degree). Or alternatively, you can always get a 2-year AS degree from a local community college that can transfer to a 4 year university - a 2 year should be fine for your entry level jobs and many lower-intermediate level positions.

When you're done, you might have several certs, a couple years experience working, and a fresh degree. You would definitely have a leg up on the competition!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definitely start working. I'm 21, no degree (some college, working on a degree.) or certs. (working on my MCDST now though ;) I make $30K/year ($14/hr) Started at $13/hr in Dec. This is my first job in IT. Experience + education = $$$$. :)
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    brad- wrote:
    Degrees are more for development and web type positions

Rubbish. You're not confined to any particular field of study just because you're pursuing a degree. They're not "more for" anything.
    brad- wrote:
    ...even then they're still difficult to get because of no experience...I know first hand.

It depends entirely on how you play your cards. Landing that first job can be a smooth transition with the right social networking skills even if you have nothing in the way of experience.
    brad- wrote:
    I probably never would have gone to college if I knew certs were just as good in the computer world.

I can sympathize with this, but in the end either path will take you to where you want to go.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    brad- wrote:

I can sympathize with this, but in the end either path will take you to where you want to go.

But on the other hand one path is way more expensive. Having been to college (no degree completed) for many years I would say it is not worth going into debt over. If you can do it without the debt then I'm all for it, there were a number of wonderful classes I took. But I will not ever take a loan out again to do it. I'll finish my degree, but it will be paid for in cash. But the degree is definitely not necessary to get somewhere in the IT world. Though it makes it easier. The certs are definitely not necessary to get somewhere in the IT world. Though it makes it easier. In the end it comes down to what opportunities you can find and create for yourself. Networking and socializing are the number one skills for that. The degrees and certs are just secondary tools.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I feel that experience trumps everything.

I only have an associates degree, and my close friend only has a high school diploma.

We are both working for fortune 500 companies, making very good money, and with extremely high level responsibilities.

But we both have close to 10 years of experience.

You have to get the first job, tough it out for a while, and then start to move your way up. Show initiative and be a very hard worker. If you desire get your degree, it will not hurt you (you will most likely have some debt, but education is a good thing). Or if you want get some certs. I get certs because it helps me expand my knowledge. And it gives me a short term goal. I am much more likely to master something new if I have an attainable goal to soot for.

I have worked many places, and two things got me these jobs. My previous work experience, and making good impressions on people (social networking). Several jobs I obtained because I worked with someone that moved on to another company. A position would open up and I would get recommended by my former co-worker.

Also think of this, lots of folks go to college and graduate. Then they end up waiting tables, or doing other jobs that have nothing to do with their degree. Sure some people go straight from college to a great office job with all the perks. But that is very rare and to be honest I know nobody who ever did that. So just because you have a degree and some certs doesn't earn you anything. It does make you look good, but you have to prove yourself. If you prove yourself, eventually someone will notice and you will be rewarded for it.

I know it is hard to stay to stay patient while waiting for your big break in the IT industry, but it will happen.

Like the movie field of dreams "if you build it, they will come".

You got to build your reputation, then the employers will come knocking. Trust me on this.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
    wow these answers changed my perspective alot...

so far all ive been hearing from alot of ppl is that with a bachelor/master degree and some certs, it would be easy to get a decent job in the IT world.

but now i realize that like every other field, theres heavy competition. and its more work to it than just furthering your education to land a good job in this field.

well thx for the great replies, i hope after im done w/ college i wont be waiting tables :D.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Focus on your degree for a few semesters/years and do summer jobs. Starting from 3rd year, working and studying can be managed.

That's what I did and it worked for me. Although there was a point in my life where depression about "what is the degree without practical experience worth and will I be able to get a job" kicked in. That was healed by finding a job :)

Good luck :)
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Candidate A.

15 years experience
    CCIE
    High School diploma

Candidate B.
    12 years experience
    CCIE
    Masters in telecommunications

Candidate B will win out most of the time.

Yes Experience trumps formal education, but why settle for just one or the other, get both :)
    I used to run the internet.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Candidate A.

15 years experience
    CCIE
    High School diploma

Candidate B.
    12 years experience
    CCIE
    Masters in telecommunications

Candidate B will win out most of the time.

Yes Experience trumps formal education, but why settle for just one or the other, get both :)

It's not quite as simple as that. It would end up coming down to secondary skills and how they fit the current job they would be applying for. It could also end up being someone likes someone else's smile better. Or someone likes the master degree better. A big toss up.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • orissaorissa Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I start my IT career a helpdesk trainee with $30k. Then I did my A+, Net+ and MSCE. Its almost six year now. And now I make somewhere between 50k-60k.
    Nothing is impossible in this IT world.
    well ive decided that since i already have some entry level comptia certs and a high school diploma, the best option for me would probably be to look for an internship during the end of my freshman year of college and continue throughout the rest of my college years working full-time during the summer.

that way i could also get some experience and social relationships/networking with other important people & companies as well. im not sure if i really want to pursue a masters degree though...it doesnt seem to be too beneficial in this field? most people seem to do alright with a bachelor degree and some certifications/experience.
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    sparten wrote:
    Certs:
    A+
    Network+
    Security+

Education:
    High School Diploma

What type of jobs can I get, and how much can I earn? How much more would I earn if I had a college degree (Bachelor/Masters)?

One Hundred Million Kagillion Dollars!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA
    Working on Linux+
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    sparten wrote:
    well ive decided that since i already have some entry level comptia certs and a high school diploma, the best option for me would probably be to look for an internship during the end of my freshman year of college and continue throughout the rest of my college years working full-time during the summer.

that way i could also get some experience and social relationships/networking with other important people & companies as well. im not sure if i really want to pursue a masters degree though...it doesnt seem to be too beneficial in this field? most people seem to do alright with a bachelor degree and some certifications/experience.

you work hard and continue to build experience you will be fine.

I have a friend that has just a high school degree. He makes over 90k. But he has almost 10 years of unix experience.

My boss has a college degree, CISSP, and 20 years of experience and I don't think he makes more than 70k.

Its all relative. Training, degree, certs, education will never hurt you. THere are jobs out there that will not hire you unless you have a college degree. But this is getting fewer and further between these days. For me and the people I know it usually boils down to working hard, not stopping till you get what you want, and to be totally honest I little bit of luck. Luck will be in the form of getting your "break" or that one great opportunity you have been waiting for.

In the beginning it is hard. You just have to keep trying. The one big plus for you is your starting younger than a lot of folks. By the time your 30 years old you will have 12 years of professional experience. THAT IS HUGE. And you will still have over 30 years of earning potential. My point is your setting your self up to be in a very good place one day. In all probability the first few jobs will not be what you desired, but they are stepping stones, kind of a necessary evil if you will. Or should I say the first few jobs are kind of a test of your will. Stay strong and get through that part of your journey and your well on your way!!!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.