6 months to complete MCSE 2003 from scratch??

grunjhedgrunjhed Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I have recently been taken on by a new employer and they have given me a deadline of 6 months to get my MCSE 2003. I have got my A+ and N+ but did those in 2000 and 2003 so a while ago!

I do have SOME experience in supporting AD and servers but really is minimal. I will be getting the TechNet Plus Direct subscription to run labs etc but will be working full time. I am HOPING to set aside 30 or so hours per week for studies, thats if my new born boy doesnt take up too much time.

Does anyone even see this as vaguely possible?? I wont be using braindumps as I believe in understanding and learning the material, not the shortcut way!!

I've looked around this forum and others and dont see very many people doing it in such a short time frame. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i did mcse in 5 months those test are pretty easy just study icon_wink.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You definitely can if you put a lot of hard work in.

The reason a lot of us take time to pass the tests is because we want to study the topics very well instead of just cramming and going on. Plus we may have things that will come up in our daily lives.

I also have taken a tight budget approach to the tests and have only bought the MS Press books and have computers to work labs. I don't buy practice tests or anything. If I had all the study material like transcenders/cbt nuggets/other books then I could pass it in 6 months if I put a lot of work into it.

Good luck!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm in the same boat as Mishra, tight budget. That's why it is taking me a while to get my MCSE. Plus the test centers around here book up a month in advance which is really irritating. I'm actually looking into traveling up north a bit just to be able to take the 291 a week or two earlier than if I scheduled it down here. Boo hiss to Prometric. Don't forget to visit your local library and see what books they have available for the MCSE! I found a few things at my library at least. If you buckle down and decide not to have a life for a while you should be fine.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • grunjhedgrunjhed Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I too am on a tight budget so wont be getting all and sundry things. But I see the TechNet subscription as a good investment given what it gives you access to.

Well looks like I have a VERY hard and long road ahead of me but it is positive to see that its not totally impossible.

My employer has a testing site onsite so thats not really an issue but the budget and daily life will be, esp as I am going to become a new Dad in July hopefully.

Thanks for the positive feedback.
    Oh and don't forget to get a number of VMs going for you lab. Labbing is essential! Well for most people at least. I normally learning things best by going and implementing it myself and then breaking it and fixing it. There are others though who learn best just by reading. But they should still test it out in a lab just to be sure they understand.
    Oh no definitely, I will definitely need to do tons of labs! I think MS's virtual software is included in the TechNet subscription so will be using that or VMWare
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    There are plenty of resources that can be found for free or very near. I see you joined today, and don't know how long you have been lurking but there is a TON of free study materials out there; technotes, MS technet, VM Engines, podcasts, blogs, etc. And as a bonus many of the members here have already done the work to find that info for you. Find the forum for your current test and dive in. Don't feel bad going back a year or more, obviously the tests have been around a while and you can find some great info and insight into the test.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
    Thanks for the response, it's always good to get positive feedback.

I have LITERALLY just started with 70-270 but see that the 70-620 also qualifies for both elective and client exams. A lot of people say the 620 is much easier than 270. Would it be worth doing the 620 as a lead in to the MCSE and then move onto the 270?

I want to do both, firstly as a path to get my MCSE and secondly as I genuinely want to learn more about Vista as have loads of experience on XP. Lastly it also helps to have the Vista one for the "MCSE 2008" route.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Definitely do 70-620.

A. As you point out, it gives you a jumpstart for MCITP as well as satisfies MCSE requirements.
    B. It allows you to gain MCTS while on the road to MCSE. Nothing like a "free" cert.
    C. If you already know XP, you will learn more it sounds like studying Vista, and that's really the main reason you should be getting certified anyway. icon_cool.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think doubling-up on the client exams is a good plan. A lot of us often recommend that you do Exchange, ISA, etc. to develop a more well-rounded skill set. However, the people that usually ask are typically trying to find jobs, not keep theirs. I think it would be advantageous for you to just focus on getting done as quick as possible. You can always go back and fill in the gaps.
    Well this is it, I wont be supporting Exchange/AD within my new role and will be providing application support on 2003 servers. I am seriously thinking about doing something with SQL 2005 as an elective as I will be dealing a lot with SQL databases, just not at a DBA level.

I am only on chapter 2 of 70-270 so will prob move across to 70-620, firstly for time sake but also as I have loads of XP experience and want to learn a new OS, but have every intention of doing the 70-270 and "filling in the gaps". I literally just need the paper in my hand within 6 months, irrespective of the subjects. But once its achieved I will be going back to fill the gaps I am interested in.

Thanks everyone. Will keep you posted how things get on.
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Not impossible but I would think extremely challenging to do with a full time job and a new baby. Are you able to study any at work?
    Technowiz wrote:
    Not impossible but I would think extremely challenging to do with a full time job and a new baby. Are you able to study any at work?

No, unfortunately not. I am going to try and possibly do the 270 and 620 side-by-side but not sure how much real time saving that'll give me. The baby is due in July so going to try and get as much done as I can before then!!
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So far, what I would recommend doing at the same time is 270 and 290, 291 and 293, and possibly 298 and 299 although I don't think you're going for an S.

620 isn't really related too any of these exams I feel, it's a bit different then 270 even.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    So far, what I would recommend doing at the same time is 270 and 290, 291 and 293, and possibly 298 and 299 although I don't think you're going for an S.

620 isn't really related too any of these exams I feel, it's a bit different then 270 even.

I dont have my books for the 290 unfortunately as they are busy being shipped and wont have access to them for at least a month, possibly more. So might then go from the 270 to 290 straight afterwards if there is a lot of carry-through
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    It depends on your experience level with the products...

Yes, it's quite possible to get your MCSE in 6 months (there are several who haunt these boards who have done it even faster) IF you have experience. Read the Audience Profiles on the preparation guides on Microsoft's site (like this one for 270) and you will see that most of them recommend at least one year supporting the products in an enterprise environment. If you have that level of experience, you can study for a few weeks to fill in the gaps and pass the test. Otherwise, you should be prepared to hunker down for an extended period of time doing labs, watching CBTs and reading in order to learn it all from scratch.

Here are my recommendations for an exam path.:
    1. 270 - This test is sneaky. Although you think you know XP, you may be surprised at how much you really don't. Still, it's a good place to get started and the test will introduce you to Microsoft's exam format which will prepare you for later exams.

2. 290 - The generic server exam and one of the easier tests IMO. This test actually builds on the 270 exam so take it after you take 270. The later exams assume you have passed this test so be sure to take it early on.

3. 291 - 'The Beast'. I personally didn't feel it was as bad as other people seem to think, but that was probably due to my background. Expect to spend most of your study time on this test and it's ugly cousin 293. If you haven't dealt with or understand subnetting, DNS, DHCP and WSUS then this test will probably be your most challenging exam. One of my co-workers has spent 6 months on this test alone.

4. 293 - 'The Beast II - Now with Clusters and Certificates!' Take this one immediately after 291 because of the amount of overlap between them. Only slightly less difficult than 291.

5. 294 - IMO the easiest exam. It's all about group policy, so if you have a decent amount of experience with GP then you will find it a welcome break from the 291/293 challenge.

6. 297 - I hated this f**king test. The available study material is almost worthless and I think experience actually gets in the way on this exam.

7. 620 - Save an 'easy' test for last. I haven't taken this exam, but the consensus is that the Vista exam isn't difficult. You may be coming down to the wire on your deadline and you don't want to be cramming for something like 291.

The next step is to put together a study schedule and personal deadline for each exam. This includes blocking out study/lab time for each day and sticking to it. I don't know how forgiving your significant other will be with the baby coming along, but hopefully she undersatnds why you are doing this and takes your need to study seriously.

Trying to fit 7 tests into 6 months means you shouldn't take more than 3 weeks for any given test or you won't have any time to retake a failed exam (if necessary). Taking some tests faster will give you more time for the harder exams. If you think you know XP, study for a couple of days and take the 270 test this week! Microsoft and Prometric have a Second Shot free retake offer that is good through the end of May, so sign up and take a swing at XP. If you pass it I think you will be happy to have 2 extra weeks of study time for 291.

Good luck, and remember - we'll all be around to help you out if you have any questions.
    Thanks very much for the reply! Some interesting and valid points made! Um, yes I will be taking the tests as fast as possible but I also dont want to take them until I am 100% sure I can pass them. My level of experience is enough to be able to support it but not enough to pass on an academic level.

I am going to try and re-negotiate with my boss about this 6 month target as I think MCSA is more plausable, failing that... all I can do is just study study study... and get the Mrs to do most of the feeds icon_lol.gif

Thanks for all the help so far. I will be keeping everyone updated as to my progress.

So far: Chapter 3 of the 270 about mid-way and counting!
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    It is possible and best of luck doing it, but I would talk to your boss and have him agree to the MCSA instead, much more realistic.

Also you need to make sure you dont neglect your other priorities, MS Exams can be done at any point the early days for your new born cant.

If he really wants the MCSE in 6 months I would get him to provide the needed Study Materials (CBT Nuggets, Transenders etc) after all its something he wants you to do!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    270 - This test is sneaky. Although you think you know XP, you may be surprised at how much you really don't. Still, it's a good place to get started and the test will introduce you to Microsoft's exam format which will prepare you for later exams.

This is worth reemphasizing. I took the 270 after the 290 and found the 270 to be very challenging. The MS Press book for the 270 exam is huge. I went through it as best I could but didn't spend as much time on it as the 270 and when I took the test I thought for sure I had failed. Somehow I still managed a score in the 800's but I felt less confident after that test than any microsoft test I have taken so far. Just because it is XP doesn't make it a cake walk.
    Technowiz wrote:
    270 - This test is sneaky. Although you think you know XP, you may be surprised at how much you really don't. Still, it's a good place to get started and the test will introduce you to Microsoft's exam format which will prepare you for later exams.

This is worth reemphasizing. I took the 270 after the 290 and found the 270 to be very challenging. The MS Press book for the 270 exam is huge. I went through it as best I could but didn't spend as much time on it as the 270 and when I took the test I thought for sure I had failed. Somehow I still managed a score in the 800's but I felt less confident after that test than any microsoft test I have taken so far. Just because it is XP doesn't make it a cake walk.

I will third this as well, but if you can handle the 270 then the 290 will let you breathe easier since you'll be familiar with how Microsoft does their questions. Plus as a bonus some questions will be sims! I like the sims, they seem like free points basically. If you are comfortable working with Server 2003 and AD and GP then you'll be a-ok on the sims. And on the 290 as well. Just don't underestimate the 270! They hit you with the weirdest questions.