Options

CompTIA PDI+ **new** cert ... thoughts/feedback

ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
CompTIA has a free online webinar going on right now doing a presentation on PDI+ (Printing and Document Imaging).... basically vendor-neutral cert. for printers/scanners repair techs.

Anyone have this cert. or anyone looking into it?

Any thoughts? Is it worth the $232/$185 cost for those not working with printers/scanners on a regular basis ??
----
Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
Future tests:
in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.

Comments

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally would not get this cert unless it was my primary job just working on those types of devices.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a good point.

I was thinking, even for sys.admins or helpdesk folks, it really does not hurt to have some background understanding on how to repair printers ... especially in those time of *urgent* need.
    ----
    Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
    Future tests:
    in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
    in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
    in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    ROMGabe wrote:
    That's a good point.

I was thinking, even for sys.admins or helpdesk folks, it really does not hurt to have some background understanding on how to repair printers ... especially in those time of *urgent* need.

The only time you'll hear an office yell more when a printer is down is when Exchange goes down. But the printer yelling is pretty close! Even if you have plenty of other printers, they don't want to have to walk one cubicle farther than they have to.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    andygeeandygee Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say if you can afford it go for it. Amazing how many network gurus cant sort out a simple copy quality issue which when you do a bit of basic study is quite simple.

The PDI is not indepth imo but gives those either starting in the trade or those that dabble the right level of info.

I went to a call recently where the certed up I.T admin couldn't solve an ip faxing problem.
    After he had checked all the settings, done whatever with his network it turned out some of the orignal size sensors sitting on top of the ardf had been covered in dust making the MFD think the orignal was A3 not A4, which in turn confused the fax software.

In theory we could have charged for that call which took seconds to sort out. As we were busy and they had a service contract it was easier to sort the problem and move on rather than get bogged down in paperwork.

As this guy was an independent IT consultant for this office it may have also seriously dented his rep with the customer and who would of paid for the call if we had charged the customer or the consultant...
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good ole printing issues...I'm so glad I got out of that field, I used to do IT Support for a copier printer reseller.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore