looking to start studying for my ccnp

CobaltCpeCobaltCpe Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was browsing around this forum and still not sure what book to purchase to start my studying. I have a cisco 2620, 2 2950 switches and looking to purchase a 3550 switch. I work fulltime as a network admin right now managing a company network. I am currently ccna and mcse certified. I am currently upgrading the exchange server and domain controller at work now but each night i have been browsing over my old ccna study notes and im ready to pursue my ccnp study. I manage the cisco routers (2600), cisco pix and dell switches here too. I was looking on amazon and people just rate this so bad. I practiced practiced and more practice for my ccna to pass it. I first read the cisco press book for my ccna and was so overwelmed with information and did more research online and people said to read the sybex. So i purchased the sybex, read it through and did all the examples and so understand the material more and passed the exam with a 980. I am not to crazy about the cisco press books because its so much more information and goes on and on, on stuff that you wont even need to know on the exam and then doesnt give all the depts needed to pass the exam.

I have found these two books.

CCNP BSCI Official Exam Certification Guide (4th Edition)

Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (3rd Edition) (Self-Study Guide) (Hardcover)

Anyone heard of Chris Bryant - CCIE. I see he sells a study too and just wondering if his book will give you what it takes to pass the exam.

http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/CCNPStoreBSCI.htm

thank all,

Josh

Comments

• CobaltCpeCobaltCpe Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    someone please help me with the first book i should get to start studying for my bsci exam. Is this the first book i need to start with. I know this wont be my only book to make me pass it.

Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (3rd Edition) (Self-Study Guide)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check the CCNP FAQ book section. The link to the Cisco Press CCNP suggested books page is there.

You want to start with the BSCI Self-Study Guide. Then the Exam Certification Guide.

You might add the CBT Nugget BSCI or TrainSignal BSCI CBT in there somewhere if you're a video person.

If you aspire to the CCIE someday, then you might want to take some of the suggestions for additional material -- like Doyle's Routing TCP/IP volumes.

The goal should be to learn the material, and that should help you to pass the exam. But Chris Bryant's material seems to get rave reviews -- but use it as something to get you over the hump, rather than a single source.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Building Scalable Cisco Internetworks (BSCI) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (3rd Edition) (Self-Study Guide)

Is this the latest version of the self study. I dont see a 4th edition.
    http://www.amazon.com/Building-Scalable-Internetworks-Authorized-Self-Study/dp/1587052237/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211315669&sr=8-3

this book just gets so bad reviews on amazon that im worried about not understanding alot of stuff while reading it. I used the sybex complete ccna study guide to pass my ccna exam as i thought the cisco press books were overwelmed with too much information.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CobaltCpe wrote:
    this book just gets so bad reviews on amazon that im worried about not understanding alot of stuff while reading it. I used the sybex complete ccna study guide to pass my ccna exam as i thought the cisco press books were overwelmed with too much information.
    The book either gets rave reviews -- or people who want to wait for an easier exam cert guide hated it. You might want to see what the reviews were for the 2nd edition if its still listed somewhere on Amazon before you decide to believe the people who seem to prefer an easier way.

The 3rd edition of the BSCI Self-Study Guide is the latest version.

The Odom Cisco Press Certification Library does cover more material than you need to pass the CCNA exam -- but it's what you should learn and know if you want to work as a CCNA and move on to the CCNP.

If you don't understand a lot of stuff in the BSCI book it will probably be because you didn't read Odom and build the proper foundation for your CCNP studies. There is some review material, but if you missed it during your CCNA studies it may not make sense when you're trying to learn all the new stuff in the CCNP.

Plus you need to spend a lot of hands on time -- and a lot of people try to skip that. The 11 router lab can easily be done on with Dynamips/Dynagen on an average geek's PC (or even laptop). If you have a real home hardware lab, you can get by with less.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    well i got a 980 on my ccna exam. I did understand all the material on the exam and still do. I read many chapters in the cisco press book over and over for the ccna because the info just wasnt clear. After i kept reading it and looking up stuff on google and practicing then it made the exam so easier. I should be fine then with getting this book and im not scared to start reading it. I have a cisco lab at work and my home network so i got access to the cisco equipment and will do hands on. I found the simulators were not enough but the hands on made me pass the ccna. I am going to purchase the 3rd edition and start reading it and when i get stuck at a part i will just google and research it and figure it out.