Possible job for tech savvy people.

cldrnbrncldrnbrn Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, this is my first post and dunno if its really gonna help anyone but i might as well give it a shot. 4 years ago I was in the same boat as many of you, some training and several years of experience but no degree or certifications. I was taking Computer Engineering at a good school but it was too expensive. I found it very tough to find a job in the IT field paying enough money to survive. I started taking an A+ course and found out I knew more than the guy teaching the class so I was just gonna finish the book and take the test. At the time I had just recently quit my job and things were pretty bleak so I decided screw it and just came back to the Marine Corps for another 4 years.
Ive been out now for a couple months and working for a pretty decent company on contract to the Marine Corps for computer support. I'm not sure what they have available right now but they do have alot of positions overseas if that interestests you. Don't quote me on this but they do hire ALOT of former military especially ones with some form of security clearance, but also plenty of non-military as well. You also might have to relocate so it might not be for you. They do require (at least for the Field Service jobs) for you to have some kind of nationally recognized certification within 90 days, the best part is they pay for your tests (they also pay for college courses related to your job). If you wanna know more send me an msg. Yes I do get a referal bonus on the off chance I refer someone that gets hired but I'd also just like to help someone out that is in the same boat I was in.

Comments

• cldrnbrncldrnbrn Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok what I said before was just pretty general. I just got done talking to my supervisor and they are in IMMEDIATE need for a field service tech for a position in Iraq.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    cldrnbrn wrote:
    Ok what I said before was just pretty general. I just got done talking to my supervisor and they are in IMMEDIATE need for a field service tech for a position in Iraq.

Just out of curiosity.....What is the starting pay for a "Field Tech"...in a Safe place like Iraq? Also, would I be issued my own M249? icon_wink.gif Just curious.... I mean ..I have been shot at, but not while configuring a router..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Well hard to say I think silver band postitions like mine run $35,000 - 70,000 depending on experience, etc. But since its a deployable postion I did rough calculations based on my pay and I'll be making roughly 4 times what I do stateside. :) And I do have to say they have pretty good benefits, health, dental, 401k, stock matching, etc. As I understand it you get paid for 12 hours a day everyday, time and 1/2 on Sat and double time on Sunday. You also get per diem, meals and incidentals, and I think (don't quote me) a 35% pay differential for deployment ot a combat zone.
    Oh and depending on the unit, if the commanding officer is willing they can issue you a weapon. Probably not a M249 though :D
  • theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    K i got my network+ and A+ and hopefully in a week have my i-net+ and ciw-a. So with these certs would i be able to apply and have a good chance? and who would i have to contact to find out more about this cause i might be interested lol i always been a little crazy but i would like to find out more on this! thanks
  • halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    So 35k-75k a year? So how does that work, let's say I make 50k a year. Is that my base 40 hour a week salary not including 1/2 and double time and the 35% differiential or does that 50k include that? Because if base pay per year is 50k based on a 40 hour a week position by the time you factor in all the extra you make almost 170k.
    halflife78 wrote:
    So 35k-75k a year? So how does that work, let's say I make 50k a year. Is that my base 40 hour a week salary not including 1/2 and double time and the 35% differiential or does that 50k include that? Because if base pay per year is 50k based on a 40 hour a week position by the time you factor in all the extra you make almost 170k.

Nope the 35-70k is base for 40hours a week. Its salary with overtime. At least where I'm at your guaranteed 40 hours a week. Often we don't work that because we work the same hours that the Marine Corps works. They base salary off 40 hours week x 52 weeks a year. Any overtime or anything else is on top of that. Like i said when I go (soon) I figured some rough estimates of about 4x what I make now. You also get perdiem and meal/incidentals which works out to quite a bit more.
    People previous military experience are greatly desired especially those that have held a security clearance.
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's a little crazy for me...I don't think any amount of $$$ is worth going over to Iraq in my eyes. You are not guaranteed to come back alive. icon_scratch.gif Just my opinion...
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • rstarrettrstarrett Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Semper Fi
    USMC New River Air Station, 1981-1984
  • dannyboydannyboy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ten9t6 wrote:

Just out of curiosity.....What is the starting pay for a "Field Tech"...in a Safe place like Iraq? Also, would I be issued my own M249? icon_wink.gif Just curious.... I mean ..I have been shot at, but not while configuring a router..

Nice one :o First chuckle i had to myself this week!!
    Guess it might also depend if you are up on your "Machine Gun" Certs... lol
  • theICEtheICE Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well how does a person contact the people looking for people cause u never said how?
    rstarrett wrote:
    Semper Fi
    USMC New River Air Station, 1981-1984

Hmmm new river, not familar with that one. The ironic thing was I was on med hold for my last two years in so I didn't deploy. Now that I'm a civilian I'm headed to the sandbox lol.
  • learningITlearningIT Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My brother is in Iraq right now (USMC) doing computer work. He basically volunteered to go set up a database for the reconstruction effort. He's been gone since Febuary and will be back in September hopefully. I guess he was having some thrills briefing the generals with his database programs, but now he's bored and playing computer games like "Command & Conquer: Generals [Zero Hour]" and Quake III...he wins every time. They keep computer guys pretty safe out there, but you do risk your life when you travel from place to place, or when Iraqis love launching mortars where they please (but they don't have a clue how to aim, and once they even used a truck as a launch pad while driving!). icon_confused.gif

Unless you can be guarenteed a bunker and safety, and that you won't miss anyone badly, I wouldn't go. My bro is in a bunker. He brought his own computer, and they found him a 17" LCD --and still looking for the 21" he asked for. He also does some computer troubleshooting for people. He's probably playing a game or trying to find something to do --he finished programming pretty much and is ready to come home, but he's got 3 more months... icon_confused.gif
    I want to learn to succeed.
    Well the way I look at it is I do maybe 6 months and it will be like I worked 2 years. I'll have all my debt (quite a bit, student loans, car, etc) paid off and still have a butt load left over. I can work on certs and college the whole time I'm out there and the company will pay for it. When I get back I can transfer to a different state (not to fond of socal too darn expensive).
  • rstarrettrstarrett Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    New River Air Station is located in Jacksonville, North Carolina. Home of Camp Lejeune. Spent about 3 years there and 1 1/2 years deployed overseas.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    cldrnbrn wrote:
    Well the way I look at it is I do maybe 6 months and it will be like I worked 2 years. I'll have all my debt (quite a bit, student loans, car, etc) paid off and still have a butt load left over. I can work on certs and college the whole time I'm out there and the company will pay for it. When I get back I can transfer to a different state (not to fond of socal too darn expensive).

Well, I wish you luck...and a safe trip. For me...money isn't everything...not saying that it is for you...but if I went over there, it would lead to a divorce. icon_cry.gif She had enough fun watching me get thrown out of planes in the 82nd Airborne Division for 6 years....I would have no problem going over there (other than leaving my family)..if I was still in the military, but I do have a little problem w/ going over there as a contractor w/ little more than a bullletproof laptop. If I left the country for the Middle East...it would be for an area like Quatar...I have a buddy over there doing Cisco stuff for 235,000.00 in a much safer environment.....

Again...I wish you a safe trip and safe return...Your Marine training may come in handy.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Well, I wish you luck...and a safe trip. For me...money isn't everything...not saying that it is for you...but if I went over there, it would lead to a divorce. icon_cry.gif She had enough fun watching me get thrown out of planes in the 82nd Airborne Division for 6 years....I would have no problem going over there (other than leaving my family)..if I was still in the military, but I do have a little problem w/ going over there as a contractor w/ little more than a bullletproof laptop. If I left the country for the Middle East...it would be for an area like Quatar...I have a buddy over there doing Cisco stuff for 235,000.00 in a much safer environment.....

Again...I wish you a safe trip and safe return...Your Marine training may come in handy.

Thanks. No money isn't everthing but it would take care of sooo many problems with one fell swoop. And if I refused to go I'd be hurting, not only would I lose my job I'd also have to give back the bonus they gave me (which I don't have). I don't think I could get another job around here very easily that pays what I get now and it is very expensive to live here. I'd leave but I've got a lease on my apartment so I'm fairly stuck for awhile. When I get back I will be in an excellent postion to move up. Nearing my 1 year mark (more pay :D ) plus I'll have many certs under my belt by then cause I'll be studying and practicing the whole time I'm out there.
    I should probably clarify. This particular postition is mainly for people that have held a security clearance for the government. You must be willing to go to Iraq, and before that relocate for awhile to Cali probably. And you must have some sort of computer background.
    I know the company must have other not cleance related postions available but that just happened to be the one they mentioned to me the other day. If someone is seriously interested send me a pm. If your willing to relocate it's possible their might be something somewhere else that doesn't require a clearance, dunno.