Options

5 questions

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Exam's closing in really quickly and I am brushing up the weak areas. Whenever I need some expert advice, this site's where I turn to...so here goes

1. Is a non-PnP SCSI RAID controller not visible in Device Manager? Perhaps it's a hidden device and I need to choose to see hidden devices. BTW, it's working properly, just cant see it.

2. Should I avoid using VSS on the system volume? Will it decrease performance?

3. If there are a few DC's in the domain, against which one is a user account authenticated?
Is the logon event logged in all DC's ?

4. When you want to backup information related to SUS, you use IIS's own tool to backup the
metabase and ntbackup to backup the default website and c:\sus\content. Is there ANY
order this should be done in i.e. use IIS first or use ntbackup first?

5. Can they ask questions on DNS on the exam, such as configurinng CNAME/A records. Hope this is not crossing the line (NDA), Mark?
Thank you.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1. How did you determine that this device is running correctly?

2. VSS really should only be used on files that make up a file server. What would you want to use VSS on your system drive for? I never thought about doing this.

3. There are things called SITES in AD that kind of pool computers and domain controllers into a logical grouping. Then after that I believe that it is just the first one to respond to the client workstation.

4. No real order as long as you get it done.

5. Make sure you know the basics to client side DNS. Server side is not tested.

Your questions are pretty wide so I may be off on some of them.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    1. How did you determine that this device is running correctly?

2. VSS really should only be used on files that make up a file server. What would you want to use VSS on your system drive for? I never thought about doing this.

3. There are things called SITES in AD that kind of pool computers and domain controllers into a logical grouping. Then after that I believe that it is just the first one to respond to the client workstation.

4. No real order as long as you get it done.

5. They could ask any question related to DNS. Make sure you know all the aspects of DNS, especially things like CNAME/A records.

Your questions are pretty wide so I may be off on some of them.

2. There was a question in Test-out on VSS. One of the choices said configure VSS on the system volume as some user data was also stored on the same volume. Weird question that, and this choice WAS the right one. I should have copied the question so I could have written it here. I know that VSS is for user files and should be on a file server. BTW, the MS Press book in one of its exercises asks you to configure VSS on the DC's system volume. It's just an exercise on a 2 machine network...

4. I have had two questions in Transcender, once I chose " use IIS's own tool to backup the
    metabase first and then ntbackup to backup the default website and c:\sus\content ". This was marked CORRECT. The next time I chose to use ntbackup first and then IIS's tool and it marked the answer WRONG. Wonder what the heck this is..

Thank you for the other replies, Mishra.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra answered most for you, but:

1. No way of really knowing that one without more info.
    2b. Yes it will decrease performance. However, you still want to enable VSS for backups.
    5. I think DNS is only covered in respect to managing IIS on the 70-290, as there is no specific mention of it in the Skills measured by Exam 70-290. So yes, you should probably know at least the concept of A and PTR records.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My mistake on question 5. I thought I was in the 291 forum. icon_redface.gif

4. I just can't think of a reason why this should be in a certain order.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:

Me either. As long as you do both.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

I cant either. Since I got one right and the other wrong, either Transcender's wrong or there's a certain order.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..