Went to Get a CCNP book...Came out with a CCDA

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
Hi Guys

It's been a while since I posted. I was going to start the CCNP process but while in the bookstore I changed my mind and was moved to pick up the CCDA Book. From what I understand the CCNP tests update your CCDA/NA so I figured I might as well knock out the DA first. I'm changing my study habbits as well. In the past I would read through the book a few time and even pick up other books and read through them but I would always fail the test (for ccna) this time I'm going through each chapter reading the Q&A and then going back to re-read the chapter and take notes. I won't go on to the next chapter until I get 100 on the q&A for the current chapter. I will also read my notes every night before I go to sleep. Hopefully it helps I don't want to take this test 3 times like I did with the NA

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm going through each chapter reading the Q&A and then going back to re-read the chapter and take notes.
    That's what I do.

I'll read the intro and summary if there is one. And I'll page through the chapter in between (and look at the pictures). Then I'll look at the questions to get an idea of what I should wake up for while I'm reading. icon_lol.gif

I especially like when any questions in the book follow along with the sequence of the material in the book -- that makes it easier to identify the important stuff. :D And if you can't answer a question, then you know what to go back and reread.

If the questions jump around then there is too much to remember at one time about what you should be looking for while studying. icon_sad.gif For those books I'll do a quick read of the text and knock out the easy questions, then go back reading section by section and checking the unanswered questions to see if any those possibly has in answer in the section I just read.

The questions should highlight the important material in the chapter -- but you still need to refer to the exam blueprint to determine how relevant the chapter will be to the exam.

Then the periodic review of your notes helps you move the stuff into your long term memory and remember it for the exam.

Oh -- which book did you get? The Teare Self-Study Guide?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    michael_knight,
    Hi Guys

It's been a while since I posted. I was going to start the CCNP process but while in the bookstore I changed my mind and was moved to pick up the CCDA Book. From what I understand the CCNP tests update your CCDA/NA so I figured I might as well knock out the DA first.

More specifically, any exam with the prefix 642-XXX that you pass will automatically renew your CCNA and CCDA certifications if you've earned them.
    I'm changing my study habbits as well. In the past I would read through the book a few time and even pick up other books and read through them but I would always fail the test (for ccna) this time I'm going through each chapter reading the Q&A and then going back to re-read the chapter and take notes.

According to the CCDA - Career Certifications & Paths webpage, it states...
    CCDA Prerequisites
    CCNA level knowledge and BCMSN level knowledge is needed to prepare for the CCDA certification exam.

Sounds like you persevered enough to become CCNA certified so that's one way to obtain "CCNA level knowledge." However, to earn BCMSN level knowledge, I picked up the Cisco Press "Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 4th Edition" book. Note, taking and passing the 642-812 BCMSN exam is OPTIONAL for the 640-863 DESGN exam. You can save the 642-812 BCMSN exam for when you're pursuing the CCNP certification or the CCDP certification.

Source:
    1. CCDA - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le4/learning_certification_type_home.html
    2. Building Cisco Multilayer Switched Networks (BCMSN) (Authorized Self-Study Guide), 4th Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052733
    3. 642-812 BCMSN - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-812.html
    I won't go on to the next chapter until I get 100 on the q&A for the current chapter. I will also read my notes every night before I go to sleep. Hopefully it helps I don't want to take this test 3 times like I did with the NA

To broaden your knowledge with repect to the security and VoIP/IP Telephony part of the 640-863 DESGN exam, I got the following books:
    1. Network Security Fundamentals - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587051672
    2. Voice over IP Fundamentals, 2nd Edition - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052571
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Crud I guess I should of done the BCMSN first but I at least read the book, hopefully it's enough. My Boss is a CCNP and has his da and I always ask him questions so at least I have him to lean on if I need help. By the way Mike I got the Exam Certification book I know the studyguide is probably better. I'll just have to take my time and go slow which I intended on doing anyway.