cannot ping remote PC

tkaadoutkaadou Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
My friend and I both have cable internet with the same provider. We also live in the same town. However, we cannot ping each others PC and consequently cannot attach to each others PC using RealVNC or Windows Remote Desktop connection.
(We both disabled our firewalls.)

Would anybody know why??
I appreciate any help..

Thanks

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are either of you using a router or are you both plugged directly into the cable modem?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • tkaadoutkaadou Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am plugged in to a Linksys router. He is not.
    Thanks.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    tkaadou wrote:
    I am plugged in to a Linksys router. He is not.
    Thanks.

When he is trying to ping you...is he trying to ping your pc or the WAN side of the linksys router? If you have the default setup on the Linksys, your LAN gateway will be 192.168.1.1, which is an invalid IP address on the internet. If this is the case, you need to forward all ports needed for VNC or whatever program you are trying to use from the from the WAN port on the Linksys to the internal ip address of the pc running the programs. Hope this helps....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I agree with Ten9t6, thats what a router does, routes your local class C onto the WWW with your ISPs dynamic address. Gotta go around the spoof.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Both are correct. What you need to do is to set up a tunnel on the router that directs traffic on either port 5900 (VNC) or 3389 (Remote Desktop) to the specific local address for your machine.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Sorry to bother you again... but I still haven't been able to resolve the issue:

When I go to my router setup I see that it has 2 settings: one for LAN and the other for WAN. for example:
    on the LAN side the IP: 192.168.1.1
    on the WAN side the IP: 24.222.186.69
    (when I run ipconfig,my pc displays the IP:192.168.1.100)

My question is, which IP address should he be able to ping or connect to with VNC. ??(I thought it should the IP on the WAN side). but he still can't ping it or connect to it. Even though I went into my linksys router settings and forwarded the VNC and Remote dek ports to the IP address of my pc(192.168.1.100) and he did the same thing on his D-Link router. ????

Thank very much in advance.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    The only interface he would be able to ping would be your WAN. Also, check and make sure that your linksys router is not set to drop ICMP packets to the WAN int. If I remember correctly, it does this by default. If all of those ports are correctly open, and you still can not connect....make sure everything is set on his side. Even though he does not have a Linksys router...his cable modem may be filtering ports..He may have to call the ISP...Also, make sure the computers you are trying to connect to are ready to answer incoming VNC connections. Hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Thanks, I'll try it.
  • Ghetto RamboGhetto Rambo Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    regarding the ping, for linksys router, theres an option in advanced menu that blocks wan pinging...
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you mean ip filtering ??
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.