Cables

samxdsamxd Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I learned that for like devices you would need to use a crossover cable, and for devices that are different you need to use a straight-through cable.

My question is, the labtop i have now connecting to my router which is connected to my cable modem is using a cross over cable, from what ive learned it should be a straight through cable because a router and a labtop are different devices. Can anyone help me with this question?

My last question is, for the roll over cables, are they only used when you want to connect your labtop to the console port on a switch or are they used for other thigns as well..

thanks

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I learned that for like devices you would need to use a crossover cable, and for devices that are different you need to use a straight-through cable.

Correct. devices which send on the same pins use cross over to connect otherwise use a straight through
    My question is, the labtop i have now connecting to my router which is connected to my cable modem is using a cross over cable, from what ive learned it should be a straight through cable because a router and a labtop are different devices. Can anyone help me with this question?

no, pc's and routers use the same pins to send and recieve data - 1,2 to send 3,6 to recieve therefore they use a cross over to connect to one another.

bridges and switches send on different pins to pc's,routers etc (1,2 to recieve and 3,6 to send) hence the reason you use a straight through cable from a pc to switch.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • samxdsamxd Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ok thank you, that makes sence now. this means that connecting a pc to pc we would need a corss over cable because both send on 1,2 and recive on 3,6.
    samxd wrote:
    ok thank you, that makes sence now. this means that connecting a pc to pc we would need a corss over cable because both send on 1,2 and recive on 3,6.

Yes exactly.

• lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whats a labtop? icon_confused.gif
  • Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just to throw a spanner into this you can have MDI/MDIX ports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mdi/mdix
    - Pete
    lnsomnia wrote:
    Whats a labtop? icon_confused.gif

Think it was laptop icon_lol.gif