Gap analysis? Which Phase is it done in

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
Is Gap Analysis done during the Prepare Phase or the Plan Phase? In the notes section it says Pepare although in the Question section of the Exam Certification Guide it says Plan. and is Prepare done before Plan? The book has me confused.

Comments

• tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Is Gap Analysis done during the Prepare Phase or the Plan Phase? In the notes section it says Pepare although in the Question section of the Exam Certification Guide it says Plan. and is Prepare done before Plan? The book has me confused.

michael_knight,

What is Gap Analysis?
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Honestly I didn't know myself but a quick google search says "The difference between what is needed and what is available"
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is Gap Analysis?
    The difference between what you need and what the salesperson thinks they can sell you. icon_lol.gif

A gap analysis is just the difference between what you have and what you need.

I thought you did the gap analysis pre-sales, to maximize work, sales, and revenue icon_lol.gif

I've always been annoyed by some of the terms they use..... but then I always liked the spiral approach, since each phase may have it own preparation, planning, implementation, and maintenance needs.

Wait a second -- which phase are they doing requirements now? It's hard to keep track with Cisco.

I'd suggest using the Reference Sheets to break the tie -- and if it's not mentioned in the reference sheets, then don't worry about it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□

the gap analysis is done at the plan phase of the ppdioo model.

the gap analysis task is to determine whether the existing site, system infrastructure and operational environment will be able to support the propsed system.

the order is prepare, plan, design, implement, operate, optimize
    mikej412 wrote:
    Wait a second -- which phase are they doing requirements now? It's hard to keep track with Cisco.

identifying business needs and proposing a high level conceptual network strategy/architecture is done at the prepare stage for the 640-863 exam.

I think they rolled requirements into the plan stage on the 861 exam, but its defo changed now.
    malcybood wrote:
    Ah Ha! It's also done at the Planning phase of Cisco Service-Oriented Network Architecture (SONA) -- once you peel the "layers" and get to the SONA Framework....
    malcybood wrote:
    I think they rolled requirements into the plan stage on the 861 exam, but its defo changed now.
    Ah Ha!! That explains the CCDE!!! It takes that much expertise to keep up with Cisco's design methodology (and marketing) changes icon_lol.gif

Now I'm wondering if the old SAFE Blueprints have been replaced by a SONA Security Framework icon_confused.gif Quick!! Is there a CCDE in the forum? icon_lol.gif
    SAFE is replaced by the Cisco SDN (Self Defending Network) plus some stuff about security policies to make it a bit more generic I think.

yeah it does get rather confusing wth SONA, ppdioo, OSI recap & there is also the IIN framework to learn in the 863!

who would have thought so many models involved in studying the CCDA huh icon_lol.gif
    LOL so is the Gap analysis in the Plan or prepared? I appreciate you all taking the time to help me. I really want to pass!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    mikej412 wrote:
    Now I'm wondering if the old SAFE Blueprints have been replaced by a SONA Security Framework icon_confused.gif Quick!! Is there a CCDE in the forum? icon_lol.gif

How many CCDEs are there now in all, did they make a CCDE verification tool yet?
    shednik wrote:
    How many CCDEs are there now in all, did they make a CCDE verification tool yet?
    I'm guessing none -- unless they already granted the CCDE to the people who are writing the Lab Exams. The CCDE page still has "Step Two: CCDE Practical Exam" listed as still in development.

Hey -- I think I found a book on the CCDE Reading list that I don't own (and haven't read)!
    so is the Gap analysis in the Plan or prepared?
    Wait -- we don't have a quorum icon_eek.gif Let me see if I misread the SONA stuff. I might have just gotten prepare and plan phases mixed up icon_lol.gif
    malcybood wrote:
    2 references to Gap Analysis in the Exam Cert Guide and 2 References in Teare's Self-Study Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) book all point to PPDIOO PLAN phase.

The Question that has prepare -- also has 2 C answers and no F answer icon_eek.gif

PLAN it is! icon_thumright.gif

And Gap Analysis isn't mentioned at all in the Quick Reference Sheet.
    You guys rock! Now for the Next installment of CCDA Jeopardy...look for my next post!