windows xp sp3

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
How many of you have started pushing it out? I have seen the stories about reboots with it. I am using it at home and haven't had a problem. So who are the brave ones? I am not pushing it out at work yet. Maybe in the next week, I will see though.

Comments

• Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's been brought up, but I don't think we will anytime soon.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    SP3 turned me into a newt!

I got better. . .

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After testing for a week or so we pushed it down to all of our computers at the office I support. About 65 computers, no issues yet.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I rolled it out at my work place after due testing through the beta period. Only issue with the roll out was two systems (both compaq laptops) that didn't want to install sp3 via windows update. I had to manually install it from the downloaded package which went fine. No issues around here.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The place i work have to over 500 clients!...wasnt my decision though
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Slowhand wrote:

I got better. . .

BURN HER ANYWAY!!!! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

I got better. . .

BURN HER ANYWAY!!!! icon_lol.gif
    And that, my lord, is how we know the Mac OS to be banana-shaped.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been rolling it out. Haven't run into any problems yet and don't plan to. The reboot problem only occurs with AMD chips and all the pc's at my job are intels
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
    Slowhand wrote:
    And that, my lord, is how we know the Mac OS to be banana-shaped.

(Last one, promise!)

You can't expect to wield domain administrator rights just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!
    Good luck to all!
  • EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a problem relating to the print spooler on 2 pc's. I had to enter the registry delete all instances relating to the HP printers then reinstall. If it was up to me I would have waited to install the service pack but my higher up seems to be under microsofts spell, if they tell him to do something he does it. We didnt even do any testing icon_eek.gif he just came in and told me to start installing the service pack.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I may start rolling it out here. Seems solid to me.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The WinXP SP3 reboot problem is specific to some computers from Dell, HP, and Sony with AMD CPUs. The rebooting computers have hard drives whose disk image was created on a machine with an Intel processor, and an Intel device driver was installed by Windows Setup. This driver blue-screens when loaded on a computer with an AMD CPU. There have been no rebooting problems (yet) reported with SP3 on computers with Intel CPUs.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Why would they take in image of a computer with intel prc and put in on a computer an AMD? Don't make sense to me.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We're reimaging all of the computer in our office in China in the next couple of weeks, and it will include SP3. I'll report on our findings.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Deployed with no problems on 100+ workstations.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    WSUS has pushed XPSP3 out to around 200 clients with no dramas.

Has anyone else ran into the WSUS Vista SP1 issue? That is Vista SP1 is to large for the WSUS server to approve it. A hotfix needs to beinstalled on the WSUS server and then SP1 can be installed manually into WSUS 3.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
    The only unexpected thing I've encountered with SP3 so far is that it refuses to install on a computer that's not running on direct AC power, so make sure you plug in your laptop into a power outlet before running the SP3 installer.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    The only unexpected thing I've encountered with SP3 so far is that it refuses to install on a computer that's not running on direct AC power, so make sure you plug in your laptop into a power outlet before running the SP3 installer.

I like that "feature" of sp3. I read somewhere that it was actually introduced in sp2, but I don't remember running into it before.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I don't think it refused to install but I think it gave you one of those messages saying it strongly recommended it. I haven't used an image or installation CD without SP2 installed by default I don't remember.
    macdude wrote:
    Why would they take in image of a computer with intel prc and put in on a computer an AMD? Don't make sense to me.
    Most likely it was just an oversight. A lot of manufacturers will use imaging for their default images. I can definitely see someone not thinking it would make a difference or even considering make of the processor when creating the image.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only have SP3 on the Lab machine, not pushing out at all. For home user, they can install it because of different use.

However, did you hear about the icon disappear from the Device Manager after you installed the SP3. It was something that passing around on the email and blog.

The only update for Win XP SP2 is SP3 from Microsoft Update.

If you test out the SP3 that will in your company images without any problem. They I don't see not any reason not to install it. I will not install on my because there an issue that my programmer cannot resolve at this time on our own in house applications.... So, have fun and play around.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
    RTmarc wrote:
    I don't think it refused to install but I think it gave you one of those messages saying it strongly recommended it.
    SP3 definitely auto-aborts the installation until the computer is off battery.
    Kasor wrote:
    The only update for Win XP SP2 is SP3 from Microsoft Update.
    You can download the install file (316MB) from download.microsoft.com too. I carry it around on a USB thumb drive.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is there sp3 for XP 64 Bit, our WS are all running 64 Bit...
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Seems to have broken my touchpad mouse control.. Right after the install and reboot it no longer worked, its an older Toshiba Satellite.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
    jbaello wrote:
    Is there sp3 for XP 64 Bit, our WS are all running 64 Bit...

No, XP 64-bit follows service packs for W2K3 64-bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=08FEC2F5-6E3B-4E0D-9314-646414D0A421&displaylang=en

Look at the applicable OS's...
    Good luck to all!
    CoryS wrote:
    Seems to have broken my touchpad mouse control.. Right after the install and reboot it no longer worked, its an older Toshiba Satellite.
    Check for an updated Toshiba driver. The one you have installed is probably waaaaay out of date.