Options

- PasseD -

DclownDclown Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I passed the Sec+ exam 880.

Now i'm not sure which direction to head in. Cisco, MicroSoft, or tackling something like SSCP..

My personal goal is to do Network consulting, Any Suggestions ????

icon_twisted.gif ThankS icon_twisted.gif

Comments

• Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats... nice score...
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats and nice score!

I don't think you can go wrong with either CCNA or MSCE (and pick up your MCSA along the way).
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    grats!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    congrats!
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass.

You've got a pretty well-rounded set of CompTIA certs there, so I'd say you'd be right on track doing either CCNA or MCSA/MCSE from this point on. Unless, of course, you want to get a little bit of expansion to your skills and go for something like Linux+ as well. Another option is to get in on the ground floor of the Windows Server 2008 rollout and go straight for MCITP

In my personal opinion, I'd recommend you to get a little bit of Unix/Linux experience under your belt, especially if you're gearing up to do more advanced security certs down the road. After that, flesh out your training with the higher-level Microsoft, Cisco, and *NIX certifications, until you either figure out what you want to do in specific, or you decide to become a more advanced consultant. Knowing the major operating systems, networking technologies, along with things like at least some basic VoIP and popular email servers, will give you an edge in the consulting world.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass.

You've got a pretty well-rounded set of CompTIA certs there, so I'd say you'd be right on track doing either CCNA or MCSA/MCSE from this point on. Unless, of course, you want to get a little bit of expansion to your skills and go for something like Linux+ as well. Another option is to get in on the ground floor of the Windows Server 2008 rollout and go straight for MCITP

In my personal opinion, I'd recommend you to get a little bit of Unix/Linux experience under your belt, especially if you're gearing up to do more advanced security certs down the road. After that, flesh out your training with the higher-level Microsoft, Cisco, and *NIX certifications, until you either figure out what you want to do in specific, or you decide to become a more advanced consultant. Knowing the major operating systems, networking technologies, along with things like at least some basic VoIP and popular email servers, will give you an edge in the consulting world.

Thanks, Linux or Unix is one "OS" I have no expierence with. Wasn't sure if i looked into the linux+, i would need some knowledge of Linux ( Which i don't ). Yet I plan to learn it sooner or later. I have touched on or over the mcsa/mcse, just have yet to take any of the test.

2 questions.

1. Is it worth it to take the 70-270 since XP wont be supported after this year, or just get the 70-620 ?

2. If i were to Cisco anyone find router sims useful or would i want to just purchase a few routers, if so which would be good to start on ??

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Dclown wrote:
    Thanks, Linux or Unix is one "OS" I have no expierence with. Wasn't sure if i looked into the linux+, i would need some knowledge of Linux ( Which i don't ). Yet I plan to learn it sooner or later. I have touched on or over the mcsa/mcse, just have yet to take any of the test.

2 questions.

1. Is it worth it to take the 70-270 since XP wont be supported after this year, or just get the 70-620 ?

2. If i were to Cisco anyone find router sims useful or would i want to just purchase a few routers, if so which would be good to start on ??

I'd recommend going straight for 70-620. XP's going to be around for a while, lots of companies use it, but you can pick up a a book to keep around in order to help you administrate it. The Vista exam is newer, and that test counts as your desktop OS requirement for MCSA, MCSE, and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

For your CCNA lab question, I'm going to direct you to the CCNA FAQ thread, in addition to recommending two pieces of equipment that I find to be useful for Cisco studying:

1. At least one switch. The Catalyst 2950 is probably the best bet for not a whole lot of money, in order to do everything you need for the CCNA exam(s).

2. There are a number of routers you can use for this exam, preferably ones that will apply towards the CCNP as well. While 2600XM series and 3640 routers are a good way to go, I've found that 1721 routers give the best bang for the buck. They're modular, affordable, and they are compatible with version 12.4 (the latest release) of the Cisco IOS, according to the Cisco Upgrade Planner. Two routers is the usual number for people building a CCNA lab.

Sims are okay, but nothing to rely on for passing and learning the IOS. If you're going to go the virtual way, check out Dynamips, (IOS not included).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Thanks, I've avoided touching Visa this long. I have the Sybex and Microsoft course ware books for Mcsa/Mcse 2003 but I'm thinking the MCITP:EA is where im heading.

• Options
    denko777denko777 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    Great Job!! I was thrilled with my 855. I think I am going to do the 70-620 next as well. See you in the forums!!
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP