Vmware Server/Microsoft virtual PC on Your Resume

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone,

A buddy and I were debating on if your resume should contain VMware server or Microsoft Virtual PC/Server on your resume. I was saying if you have your MCSA or better it's implied you can get by on either of these products. He was arguing the importance of mentioning such technology.

Thoughts?
-Daniel

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kind of assumed. I'd include it if you have room on your resume (enough white space).
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Considering that virtualization is pretty hot right now, it probably wouldn't hurt to list what virtualization software you've worked with on your resume.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Personally I would concider listing the bigger products you have used/worked with. Ie ESX Hosts etc.

I wouldnt mention a single Virtual XP Machine you use.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I am going to say no to the desktop virtulization unless the job posting explicitly asks for it.

So ESX 3.x for sure since it's kind of it's own world with virtual switches and what not. I follow you there.

What about Hyper-V and Microsoft's System Commander? Or are those implied in knowing 2008 server? I think they are probably separate enough technologies in 2008 that they are worth mentioning?
    -Daniel
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nothing is ever implied especially to hiring managers.

If you have experience working in a corporate environment with any server virtualization technology (VMware Server/VI3, Microsoft Virtual Server, Virtual Iron, XenServer, etc), it's worth putting it on. Virtualization is hot, make that scalding... it may mean getting an interview where otherwise they might have overlooked you.

With that said, if your experience is limited to using VMware Workstation/Virtual PC or the server products at home, etc I wouldn't bother listing it.