My network places problem - Help

amitshah2003ukamitshah2003uk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a domain controller with 36 PC's and 5 servers.

Everything is working fine you can access mapped drives RDP into all pcs the only issue I have
is when accessing all the clients through my network places and then entire network I can only see about 10 clients listed.

Is there something I need to configure on the missing clients.

My overall aim is to see all c drives from my machine using the following from run

\\computername\c$

however this only works on the clients listed in my network places.

What am i missing ????

Comments

• amitshah2003ukamitshah2003uk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    File and printer sharing is ticked on all clients and c$ is shared by default
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is netbios over TCP/IP enabled on the NICs for the PCs you are not seeing in network neighborhood?

Is the server service enabled and running?
    Are the above enabled by default ?? Will have to check
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes they should be. The server service needs to be running. If netbios over tcp isn't via dhcp isn't checked or manually selected it still should be able to resolve the name with DNS.

Another thing you can try to take out name resolution completely is using the IP address\C$
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the hosts are on different subnets, you should be using a wins server.

Might there be a firewall blocking that port?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    All pcs are on the same subnet
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    blargoe wrote:
    Might there be a firewall blocking that port?

+1, this would be my first thought and has caused some issues in the past. (XP or 3rd Party Firewall)

Here a quick link you can look at that may help:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/b8b1438d-8871-406d-a366-75f1f3a815e91033.mspx?mfr=true
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Browsing via NetBIOS is flakey at best even after you've followed the good suggestions above, configure WINS (browsing via network neighbourhood/places does not use DNS, it's not a problem of name resolution but of the Master Browser having a full list of clients at the time you start looking). Better still though look into using DFS and mapped drives on the clients, it's a lot more reliable, manageable and flexible - you remove NetBIOS and WINS from the equation.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?