Network Technician

RacingSnailRacingSnail Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to become a (paid) Network Technician. Currently, I have some college, but wasn´t able to finish before I had to move. There are some problems with my foreign transcripts, so I don´t know when I can go back to finish here in the US. Fun to fix things from an ocean away. icon_rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, I have a couple of years of IT experience abroad and started volunteering about 7 months ago at a local non-profit as a PC/Network Technician to get some US references and work experience. That has been going great so far, but obviously can´t live on nothing forever.

I just recently got my A+ and am going to get my N+ in the next few weeks. I am thinking about doing the following next: Security+, MCSA, Linux+, MCSE. Does that look OK? I also wonder if it would be worthwhile to do Server+? Feedback is most welcome!
WIP: AAS Computer Information Technology (May 2010)
70-620 (July 2009)
70-290 (Aug 2009)
Linux+ (Oct 2009)
Security+ (Dec 2009)

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Hey there, looks like you have a pretty solid plan for your future, definitely keep on volunteering/looking for paid work, Net+ Sec+ Linux+ MCSA/MCSE are all great goals for you to achieve and will definitely open some doors for you.

Good luck!
    WIP: IPS exam
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you have a great plan with volunteering! You cert path looks good as well. If you find you really like the networking stuff you would probably go with Cisco rather than Microsoft, but if you have the time and desire both are great because their technologies are used in just about every production network.

As far as trying to get a paid job. Keep looking everyday and apply for anything that remotely looks like something you may be interested even if you do not think you are qualified. Use any contacts you may have from volunteering or from personal relationships to see if they know of anything that may not be posted. Most importantly never burn bridges with anyone you do business with because you never know if you'll bump into that person in the future either directly or indirectly.

I'd also highly recommend the following book. Its principles can be applied to any industry and I used its techniques to help land a couple of internships while I was in school:

http://www.amazon.com/What-Color-Your-Parachute-2008/dp/1580088678/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211718561&sr=8-2
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is depending on the location where you live. Network Technicians are everywhere... It will be a very competitive position. However, you are on the right track for the certification. Try to do some volunteering and look into the non-profitbable organization.

The most important is looking into different industry and you will be surprise that you will find some IT dept that is short and need NWT Tech.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • RacingSnailRacingSnail Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote:
    It is depending on the location where you live. Network Technicians are everywhere... It will be a very competitive position.

I kind of figured, but I am not sure exactly what I would be able to jump into with my qualifications. Right now, I am probably going to finish the year out at my IT volunteer job. Since I have already been there seven months in a few days, might as well get the year of experience. While that is going on, I will get the certs I listed.

By the end of this year, my resume should look something like:

PE: 2 years of verifiable PC/Network Tech (1 year paid, 1 year volunteer)
    7 months of verifiable Software Support (paid)
    5 years+ Freelance PC repair (though how much that is worth to an employer, I am not sure...could get references from some former customers)

Certs: A+, N+, Security+, MSCA (perhaps also Linux+ and Server+, but not sure. If all goes really well, I may also get the MSCE)

Education: *4 years of university study in a kind of IT related field (but no degree...doh!)
    *Secondary school diploma in my country is equal to a US HS diploma + 1 year of university. Some people equate it to a US AS degree, but that is a little shaky and I am not sure I want to go there...

Ideally, I would like to do systems admin blah, but I have no idea if that is reasonable to start or not once I seriously start the job search in December. I am guessing that I would have to put in more time as a Network Tech first or get my degree or I am not sure exactly. That is kind of why I am fishing for advice.
    WIP: AAS Computer Information Technology (May 2010)
    70-620 (July 2009)
    70-290 (Aug 2009)
    Linux+ (Oct 2009)
    Security+ (Dec 2009)