NLB reading?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
anyone have any good online reading on NLB? I doubt it will be on my 70-290 but it's mentioned in transcender and it bugs me that I know nothing about it. Not even a mention of it in my Sybex book!
-Daniel

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Here you go:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/98d46a24-96d8-412c-87d8-28ace62323d21033.mspx?mfr=true

It wasnt mentioned on my exam, aslong as you know the concept that will be enough for this exam.
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You won't see it till 70-293. I'm surprised it's on Transcender for 70-290. If there's anything you need to know, it's:
    It's used for load balancing traffic so 1 host doesn't get slammed all the time. It allows you to scale.

An example which is more than you need to know for this exam is you can have multiple server farms. 2 server farms that replicate content from 1 server farm to another. Each server farm uses NLB to have 1 NLB Cluster IP that all clients connect to. This means you will have 2 NLB Cluster IPs. All Cluster Nodes have the same content through DFS Replication or some other mechanism. You then create 2 A records with the same name; one going to each IP Address and then you Round Robin to both. Each Server Farm is connected to a Back-End SQL Cluster that replicates data to each other to ensure each Cluster has consistent data.

You will use NLB for load balancing traffic across several servers for fault tolerance and scalability. Granted information probably won't change a whole lot because it'll be load balancing "traffic" where data is stored on a back-end cluster. A traditional cluster (MSCS - Microsoft Clustering Services) is for failover. Clients are hitting 1 server and if that server goes down, the second server will take over.

Check this link out:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/91d30c1e-ddcc-43e3-9996-e0875aac91c31033.mspx?mfr=true
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    As far as I remember NLB appears on the transenders for this exam but based on TS Servers.

I didnt have any questions on the actual exam based on this, think its just another case of Transender over preparing you!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    Sie wrote:
    I didnt have any questions on the actual exam based on this, think its just another case of Transender over preparing you!
    The same for me.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.