Netware 6.5

matcheymatchey Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
there are bound to be some netware people about out there !! or has the world went completely ms?

can anyone tell me how netware 6.5 compares to 5.1 ? is it easy to upgrade?
and has anyone done 6.5 cne.

please respond, dont want to sound desperate but it was me who got the webmaster to open a netware forum !!

icon_lol.gif

Comments

• mbeavenmbeaven Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not a Netware guy but I did play around with 6.5 using the eval version on their site. You might check out if you have a test box.
  • matcheymatchey Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what did u think of it?
  • mbeavenmbeaven Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The install went smooth, minus a network driver that I had to hunt down. The GUI interface was interesting, I wasn't used to seeing that in some of the previous Netware versions I've used. But since I didn't upgrade to it and it wasn't a production box I can't give you any real info. I was mainly playing because I might end up having to become more Netware aware so to speak. :)
  • LadyNredLadyNred Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NetWare 6.5 has some really kewl changes over 5.1. NetWare 5.0 I don't want to discuss... my opinion is that Novell blew the release of that one but it was a major change from NW 4.x. 5.0 was the first release of NetWare that used the standard for TCP/IP and allowed you to remove IPX but for many months there were major problems with it. NetWare 5.1 was a dream in comparison. NetWare 6 got better but NetWare 6.5 is really starting to get to the all important goal of platform independence.

NetWare 6.0 gave us features such as iFolder, iPrint, and NetStorage which made for easier but secure accessability across the Internet. NetWare 6.5 has taken it even further. With NetWare 6.5 you can maintain security without installing a NetWare client. Using the Virtual Office Portal uses simply access a website in their browser that provides them with links to all of their network resources. This means that it doesn't matter what platform their workstation is or even where they are logging in from. Users can set up their own virtual teams to share files and links with, can have discussions, access their email and share folders and even use secure chat.

As an administrator you can use a web browser to securely manage your entire network from anywhere. NetWare 6.0 started this move but NetWare 6.5 gets you even closer to being able to do everything in a browser. It's much faster and more stable than ConsoleOne and you don't need Client32 installed. Just a connection to the server. I'm excited about this because for me it means that it will be much easier for me to handle my customers issues in a more timely manner as I can do things from home without having to travel to the customer site. My customers are happy because it cuts down their costs and makes it more cost efficient for them to have me do regular maintenance work and catch problems before they go too far.

As far as the NetWare 6.5 CNE, there isn't a 6.5 program and Novell (at this point in time) is not considering it. What they have done is created a couple of 6.5 courses for which there will be exams for. You can take either the 6.0 or 6.5 Administration exam (Foundations of Novell Networking) for your NetWare 6.x CNA exam and continue on with the NW 6.0 exams to certify as a CNE. If you were a CNE 5 and wanted to upgrade to a CNE 6 you now have a choice of writing either the 6.0 or the 6.5 Upgrade exam.

(Note: The 6.5 courses have been released but the exams are not yet available)
    Marie Perry
    CNI/CNE/MCSE
    http://www.mtechservices.ca
    Where Novell Lives On
  • speedjunkies750speedjunkies750 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif
    I have to agree with the LadyNred. The big red N had done their homework since 4.x. My team and I have almost finished an upgrade from 5.1 to a clustered environment of 6.5. It was a little bumpy with all of the gotcha's. I would strongly recommend taking an ATT class from Novell. However the time put in is nothing compared to the end results that we have.
    If you have any questions just ask away and I will try to help.
  • matcheymatchey Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Told you webmaster, Netware is on the up, the purchase of Linux is also going to help !! Who needs all that patching and security problems with MS!!
  • skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Earlier this year I began working in a company that uses Netware 6.5, and though there are some interesting differences between Windows and Netware, it seems to be pretty good.

There is a HUGE difference between 5.x and 6.5. 6.5 isnt the most user-friendly beast in the world, but it's solid and integrates nicely with windows domains on the back end.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • pancho1500etpancho1500et Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    any of you guys know if in netware 6.5 the sys volume must be a nss volume or a traditional volume ?
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    If it is a new install, it will be an NSS volume. If it is an upgrade, it will stay as traditional. It is possible to convert to NSS, but it is tricky. Essentially you are creating a new NSS drive, copying everything over, and then renaming the volumes so the NSS drive becomes SYS.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    matchey wrote:
    Told you webmaster, Netware is on the up, the purchase of Linux is also going to help !! Who needs all that patching and security problems with MS!!

Everyone still harping about how much more secure Novell obviously has not been paying attention to campus redmond's security pushes over the last year or so. Critical security updates are down by a large percentage.

Besides, give me the green light and I'll open that red box right up. icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    :D

That post is almost two years old btw, I guess Netware is still on the up, just taking their time. icon_wink.gif
  • evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess they are trying to get into the schools too. Course Technology sent each of the professors here at the College a full set of Novell books on Administration with SLES 9 (SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9). I haven't had the chance to read them yet. They are in the queue. :)
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Some people still like Novell...the school that I work in uses Netware and the University that I just started taking classes at also uses Novell for the entire campus network...must have some good points, right? icon_wink.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    There are still "pockets" of NetWare all over. Government agencies and educational institutions, especially. Some non-profits got really good deals-- free or cheap-- on NetWare a few years ago.

I look at the 6.5 upgrade as a competitive move to position NetWare against Windows Server 2003. Novell included lots of nifty new features, including a groupware portal, file versioning, iSCSI and a distributed file system. It's a crying shame that Novell has so much trouble with marketing-- it could have continued to be a competitive platform.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I look into it, but only with few update function. I was surprise when there still company running Novell and the version is 6.5 (latest). I hardly see any in my area.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn