Options

Should I go for some Microsoft Certs?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I just completed my Network+ cert not to long ago and now I'm looking at what else to do. I still need to get in some work experience and next week I'm planning on meeting with one of those job recruiters to find out if I can get a helpdesk job or something.

My main question is, should I get some Microsoft certs even though I'm going to focus on *nix as my choice of expertise? Or should my A+ and N+ be enough to hold me on until I can get a more *nix focused job? I have a feeling I'm going to be working with a lot of Microsoft software early on and it has me worried if I focus on Linux for early on it'll hurt me in the short term. But if I try to get some windows certs it might be a lot to study with the job, Linux and Windows. Either way I think its going to be a bit tough.

Also I'm going to be doing an online beginners course on Unix from my college. So I'm sure it'll help me focus on it even if I decide to start reading some Windows cert books; just it'll be a lot of work.

Comments

• Options
    hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Consider the A+ cert if youre looking to start out on a helpdesk support position, the A+/N+ combo will give a good foundation to build on and together they satisfy one of the electives for the MCSA/MCSE track
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Talic wrote:
    I just completed my Network+ cert not to long ago and now I'm looking at what else to do. I still need to get in some work experience and next week I'm planning on meeting with one of those job recruiters to find out if I can get a helpdesk job or something.

My main question is, should I get some Microsoft certs even though I'm going to focus on *nix as my choice of expertise? Or should my A+ and N+ be enough to hold me on until I can get a more *nix focused job? I have a feeling I'm going to be working with a lot of Microsoft software early on and it has me worried if I focus on Linux for early on it'll hurt me in the short term. But if I try to get some windows certs it might be a lot to study with the job, Linux and Windows. Either way I think its going to be a bit tough.

Also I'm going to be doing an online beginners course on Unix from my college. So I'm sure it'll help me focus on it even if I decide to start reading some Windows cert books; just it'll be a lot of work.
    If you have your heart set on working with Linux sometime down the road you should focus on those certs so one day you'll be able to move in that direction. If you have Net+ and A+ that should be more than enough to get a helpdesk job.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    do you have any linux/unix experience?

If not now is the time to start. Get ubuntu installed on a machine and go to town.

Plus there are tons of other Unix OS's out there that you can dll for free and get started with.

Then look into getting your Linux+ or LPCI or something of that nature!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.