ACPI

nangananga Member Posts: 201
I am having this BSOD with XP.....I have formatted my system number of times( so questions of malware) but the problem remains the same...rebooting.but today this new BSOD came up.

""
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an updated BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers, The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed - it will silently disable ACPI and allow u to continue your installation.

Technical installation:

*** STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x00000001, 0x8136C698, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"
""

I am having a Toshiba Satellite Pro.

Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Has it been the same error code every time or a different error code? If you're getting multiple blue screens and have already reformatted and reinstalled I would recommend running memtest86 and verifying that the hardware is functional. It could be memory going bad or the motherboard going bad.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Visit hardware-update.com? That's a bogus blue screen.
    No, it's legitimate from what I've seen. It looks like hardware-update.com is a domain formerly owned by Microsoft.
  • hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    is the BIOS updated?, if not try updating BIOS to the latest version before installing XP
    If he hadn't gotten that BSOD before though and XP had installed just fine then I sincerely doubt that it would be BIOS update related. It would be consistent and give the same BSOD every time if it was BIOS related. Different blue screens especially with a crazy one like this are hinting strongly at bad ram or bad motherboard. The majority of the time when I see patternless BSODs they are bad memory related. If you can get into windows you could download windbg and do an analysis on the memory **** if you'd like. Memtest86 is definitely my next recommended step though. Make sure you let it do 3-5 full passes as well if it isn't pulling up any errors.
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
    thanks guys.

Well I have changed my ram recently. I guess that rule out the ram problem.

I have these BSOD with a different error that said of a possible problem with some driver. I always had these applications running on my PC. But even though I format my disk and put on a new XP with bare mininmum applications say yahoo/google messanger/ ms office/ mc afee antivirus/mozilla....the BSOD wouls still b a problem.

I got this ACPI problem today. Its did say the BIOS should be updated.

I have no clue wether it is the bios/ motherboad or something else.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Dude, how can hardware-update.com be a legitimate site?

1. Googling hardware-update.com has a helluva lot less pages than one would expect (2 pages of results?)
    2. It's registered to some BS company who owns 3,000 other 'catch all' domains. I think it always has been.
    3. I've never heard of microsoft telling people to go anywhere except microsoft.com.
    I would still run memtest86 and see if it pulls up any errors. Errors don't necessarily mean that it is the memory that is bad. It could be the motherboard itself. Easiest way to find out if you're getting memtest86 errors is to strip all the memory out and then run memtest86 through with one particular stick tested in each slot. If you get errors on a particular slot then take the next piece of ram and test it in that slot and the other slots. If it errors on that slot but not on other slots then it would be that slot that is bad. If the errors follow a particular stick of ram then it would be that stick of ram. If you get errors no matter what memory configuration you try then it would be pointing towards a bad motherboard or possibly a bad cpu. I would replace the motherboard first since it is the less expensive piece.

And there is basic motherboard/cpu/memory troubleshooting in a nutshell for you.
  • nangananga Member Posts: 201
    Well me too trying to google things for www.hardware-update.com ...and am not getting any geniune results for the site.

Yup I shall definetly try for the memtest and keep ya guys posted.

Thanks
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    check the RAM, PSU and MB (BIOS safe settings or if update available), in this order