CCNA in US get paid crap!

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
hey guys
i was looking at CCNA and CCNP salaries in USA an we they get paid crap compared to UK
or Europe? what gives. Amazing how much less a CCN in USA gets. I mean
like USA a CCNA gets like 29K to 35K whereas in UK they get like 42k and up! holy crap!

I want to work in UK can I??????

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You should realize that having a certification doesn't garuntee you to make any amount of money. You can have a CCNA and work at McDonalds. Just work hard and don't worry about those salary surveys and you will be ok.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    itdaddy wrote:
    hey guys
    i was looking at CCNA and CCNP salaries in USA an we they get paid crap compared to UK
    like USA a CCNA gets like 29K to 35K whereas in UK they get like 42k and up! holy crap!

Oh, I don't know. It all depends on where in the US you apply. Check out my area, for example, on Dice.com, and do a search for things like CCNA and MCSE to see a big difference in pay. Of course, the cost of living may or may not make that kind of pay-increase worth it. . . and the same is true for living abroad. Of course, a CCNA, alone, doesn't make you qualified for some of these jobs. You'll need plenty of experience, as well as a degree, to really make it and get paid a relatively high salary.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Those salary surveys are usually worthless in my opinion. Here is one from tcpmag.com that says CCNA's make $76,500/yr on average and that is supposed to be based on certification (not experience). Higher salaries are usually based on knowledge and experience not certification alone although they can help. Here is the link to the tcpmag.com salary survey for 2006-2007.

http://tcpmag.com/salarysurveys/2007/charts/chart1.aspx
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    I lived in Rochester Hills, MI for 5 years and worked in Troy, MI and was doing Desktop support for an insurance company. I was on $43,500 by the time i left in August 2007.
    This was very good money for Desktop support, and before I left i was scheduled for a pay raise... best paying job i had while in the states! pervious job was helpdesk support $32,000 per year... which was not bad either...

Now I moved back to my country of birth, UK... I am on £29,000 doing the same role...

Also remember cost of living is higher in the UK. Food, petrol/gas, house prices, etc ...

Either way no matter if your in the US or UK it all even's out in the end!

D-boy
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Cost of living, experience, degree, certifications.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cost of living is very expensive right now. Filling my car with gas costs over 100 dollars. Everything else has gone up. Certificates are just part of the factors in determining rates of pay!
  • nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    voice and security is whats hot right now. Anyone can type commands
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Turgon wrote:
    Filling my car with gas costs over 100 dollars.

Wow, what are you driving? Time for a more efficient car! The wife and I (1 shared vehicle Honda Civic) just last week upped the weekly budget from $40 to $60 for getting from point A to point B.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Wow, what are you driving? Time for a more efficient car! The wife and I (1 shared vehicle Honda Civic) just last week upped the weekly budget from $40 to $60 for getting from point A to point B.

Yeah I just paid $104 to fill up. I had a Honda Civic too up till last year and it never cost me more than ~ $40 to fill it. As soon as I get a new car, gas prices go nuts... typical.
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

VW Golf is pretty efficient my friend. Gas in the UK is over 10 dollars a gallon.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Turgon wrote:
    VW Golf is pretty efficient my friend. Gas in the UK is over 10 dollars a gallon.

Ah yes the UK gas prices will do that to you. Sorry, my mistake!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Ah yes the UK gas prices will do that to you. Sorry, my mistake!

heheh as is a weekly shopping bill! Don't come here!
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    itdaddy wrote:
    hey guys

CCNA by itself means jack squat. It takes way more than a piece of paper, because if you look at it, it's just a piece of paper saying you understood x and answered at least x questions about the subject correctly on this particular date. CCNA/CCNP/CCIE/MCSE or whatever else does NOT mean your pay will be between xx,xxx and xxx,xxx. It all depends on the company and your background/experience. A small credit union probably isn't your best bet if you want to be in the pay scale range that you are looking for.

I've noticed your posts about the salary/pay subject and it seems to be a sore point for you. If my assumptions are correct, why not look at getting out of Wisconsin? Most credit unions see IT as an expense rather than an assett. Larger banks/financial institutions on the other hand, are a bit different. Like I said, if you want the big bucks, get into a large city like LA, Chicago, NY,Boston, Atlanta, etc, and finish that 4 year degree. Maybe add a MS/MBA, make yourself more marketable and well-versed. Location, experience, and education, in that order are the most important factors in getting the high salary you seek.

Turgon is correct. Cost of living in UK/Europe is WAY higher than in the US. Compare the cost of living where you live to living in downtown Manhattan or LA. It's a pretty big difference right? UK/Europe is even higher. Gas in most of Europe is over $8 a gallon no matter where you go. Food and basic necessities are higher than they are here.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Yeah I just paid $104 to fill up. I had a Honda Civic too up till last year and it never cost me more than ~ $40 to fill it. As soon as I get a new car, gas prices go nuts... typical.

No kidding. I just got a nice car last September. Figures now gas prices go up. icon_sad.gif
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Ouch!....Makes the $4/gallon over here in the US seem fair.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    CCNA and CCDA; Europe; Annual income ~15000$

I live in the middle of nowhere, though :)

Job environment (microclimate) and collective are great, so that compensates lack of juicy salary.

Living expenses do sting, unless you own a flat (rent bites the most).

Currently I am working towards P flavoured cake and have a hope this, besides professional experience, will have a roi in form of some monetary bonus too.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cablegod

you are 100% correct...thanks for noticing...i am looking every day!

i have done many things for our credit union. like one big thing is when
    we upgrade our financial software when it require upgrade. our vendor which is a big company
    has no realy way to deploy this package so i in 2 weeks wrote a customized install package that be used anywhere for thei software...so it only takes 5 minutes to install on 150 machines
    and the other day my boss asked me if I could convert a program running on a server that
    opens up per terminal session into a windows service. i said sure i can so within under 60 minutes kind of tricky this one, i had it running as a windows service with no bugs!
    point being is i run with the MCSEs and CCNPs i knwo i can was turned down from a bank cause i ask for 50 k to run their entire network; voip and servers, they had a min of 45k but always aks what you want! i barely got the words 45k from this CFO. but long story short. Employers are hard to find who will pay you for yoru skills. I wanted to go head to head with the winner of this job but man people get freaked when you say that to them. kind of weird when you want to compete and they have made up their minds already..i say becuase they guy was cheep and proabbbly fix stuff like my boss does calls tech support to walk them through and their answer t o everything is we need a new server! ahahaaha i am looking all the time
    hope my attitude hasnt offended anyone. sorry if i sound sore but i am hee hee
    robert;)
    thanks for noticing sorry waste anyones time reading my rant sections! i just see theses adds and wonder how in the heck..and i meant experience ithe ccna not just paper!

i need to leave wisconsin and these small towns i can see that!

yeah 10.00 dolllar a gallon..dont sound bad sinc eour is 4.00 in usa but the probalem with me and i think every amerian can say this. we are spoiled basterddds with our nice BIG cars.
    I was in UK for 2 years loved it, people were more concerned with sociallizing and eat cookies and drinking tea and making friends than what kind of fancy car they drove. i liked that then you get to USA nd you are all stressed out due to peer money prresssure of the jones! I love both UK and USA but man would be nice to have a happy medium! I love the UK for the friends i made, never cared about money just having a great time.... icon_lol.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like everyone has stated the cost of living is ridiculous in the UK at the moment. Literally everything is going up and it seems like your wages are not increasing with the demand.

for example, the cost of buying a home is the highest its been in a long time - first time buyers cant even think of buying because of the over inflated housing costs - due to the governments lack of new housing etc. With situations like this there are record numbers of people going into reposession. Interest rates are also 1-2% more than the US somehow - In the UK im sure companies just love to fleece us because we get screwed with literally everything. The government wont even help its people out by reducing tax on petrol (tax is already over 50%!). I can remember reading in the times a few months ago before the price boom that a leading analyst reckons petrol in the UK will hit the £1.50 a litre by the end of 2009 - at the minute it looks like he could be spot on!

back to the original question - a ccna wont get the type of money you've mentioned unless they have a HUGE amount of experiance, but even then you would expect ccnp etc. Whoever wrote that must be away with the fairies!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel

i appreciate your honesty.wow! it sucks
    reducing tax on petrol (tax is already over 50%!).

wow! that is a big chunk but isnt that governemt you have the government taking a big peice of the pie and you have OPEC selling each barrel for 132.00 USD holy crap! what next!

amazing how the big $$$$ scew the common people...i do understand just wanted to hear from you all...I got this price off a UK employee website Cisco Associates ever heard of it?
    this guy claimed these salaries but I guees like all employee places they over inflate the job salaires...thanks
    wow i guess we are all feeling it too bad we had no power to boycott gas and OPEC
    be nice to say to them ^$%^^$$^%#####&(*(*&&%$$@.gif@ your oil!

and i hear stuff like with all the Arab money they are buying up all the busiensses and property in some parts of the USA nd Europe go figure. those who have the Gold make the rules!
    holy crap!
    before long i willl have to go work with a rag on my head to stay in conformity or get shot! holy crapy!
  • 1MeanAdmin1MeanAdmin Member Posts: 157
    Inc wrote:
    Salaries in Latvia haven't adjusted to the European average yet, but the important thing is they will soon. If you don't mind me asking, what industry are you in? How big is the environment?
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    midiman wrote:
    Inc wrote:
    Salaries in Latvia haven't adjusted to the European average yet, but the important thing is they will soon. If you don't mind me asking, what industry are you in? How big is the environment?

I hope you're right about soon adjustment. Industry is IT and environment is >1k people, although I communicate on daily basis only with our department (~30 people).
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

I hate to sound ignorant, but when the hell did gas become $2.50/litre over there!?!?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

I hate to sound ignorant, but when the hell did gas become $2.50/litre over there!?!?

Over the last month or so. The government has held an emergency meeting about it and there grand idea is to pump more oil out of the north sea to try and reduce the oil prices. But to be honest that is just a bypass of the real issue that the government is putting too much taxes on oil. Along with that, car tax etc is also going up and there is a proposed further 2p tax increase on oil in october! Because of the government the UK is becoming a horrible place to be in my opinion
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

Over the last month or so. The government has held an emergency meeting about it and there grand idea is to pump more oil out of the north sea to try and reduce the oil prices. But to be honest that is just a bypass of the real issue that the government is putting too much taxes on oil. Along with that, car tax etc is also going up and there is a proposed further 2p tax increase on oil in october! Because of the government the UK is becoming a horrible place to be in my opinion

ouch!, I guess I should be somewhat thankful that Im paying $4.00 a gallon, even though its almost a 100% increase from a few years ago. icon_scratch.gif

I decided to further educate myself so Ive been googling the situation. It doesn't sound fun at all.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

holy crap! man you can't believe everything you read on the web. but i do believe real people
    actually living there. i hate governemt! that is why i am a smart arse cause the people in charge
    are stupid!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I remember paying 73 cents per gallon when I was in college less than a decade ago...

(What was the thread topic again?)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote:
    I remember paying 73 cents per gallon when I was in college less than a decade ago...

(What was the thread topic again?)
    i remember 99 cents per gallon in high school less than a decade ago....

the topic WAS about CCNAs getting underpaid.

• oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Supply/demand.

I don't know why so many average IT people are so inclined to learn Cisco stuff anyways.
    I used to run the internet.
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    I don't know why so many average IT people are so inclined to learn Cisco stuff anyways.

Ignorance. Believing that a "quick-fix" solution exists. Believing that we still lived in a time before the bubble burst.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just heard from my brother who went to Japan this month, their minimum wage is almost 150$ a day and they get 5 % tax...