~!~Passed~!~

LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got back from taking the OS and I PASSED with a 632/900 :D I could have done better, but all my energy was focused into passing the core (got a 733/900)the day before.

Honestly, I felt that the core was more difficult than the OS, because a lot of the core test elements were issues that I did not have to deal with in today's computers.

Before I took the OS, I was getting cold feet because I really didnt study that much and was actually kind of thinking I'll either fail or pass with a 469... lol icon_wink.gif

I had two questions that were back to back the same question happend 2 times in that exam. LOL it reminded me of when Neo seen the black cat in "the matrix" :)

Anyone who is planing to take this test.. Make sure you know how to navigate through the different OS, troubleshooting and what files are needed to do what... etc etc...

Now I'm off to begin studying for the NET+. How does the NET+ compare to the A+ core or OS? I heard that sybex and meyers were good books to read. I have marcraft and examcram for net+ as my study material... Does anyone know if these books are any good and how they compare to the sybex and meyers books??
It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.

Comments

• rcsnydleyrcsnydley Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    I too would like to know how hard the Net+ exam is as it is the next one in line for me also.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I recently took Network+. I believe that if you have A+, and put in some honest time studying, you should be able to pass. I used Mike Myers for Network+, along with Transcender. I passed first shot. Mike Myers writes a good book. I used his material for A+ as well. I am currently using Sybex for Microsoft exams (70-210, 215, 21icon_cool.gif, and I like the book material, just not the software that comes with it. I still feel that Transcender, while high priced, is the best out there. It's almost overkill, too hard. Doing well on Trans, means you'll probably smoke the real exam. You should also use at least two sources.

As far as any specifics on N+, know the utilities, and commands used to troubleshoot,(ping, tracert, arp, etc.). Also, topologies, and standards(ring, bus, mesh, Cat 3 4 5 5e 6,). Also, know common ports(21,23,25,110,443,80,169), protocols(SMTP, POP3, TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBeui), and memorize the OSI(APSTNDP). Check out the links below. They should answer some questions as well.

You can find the N+ objectives here>>>http://www.comptia.org/certification/Network/objectives.asp

Here are the IANA ports>>>
    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

Amazingly, this site has FREE, yes FREE resources as well.

http://www.techexams.net/co_netplus.shtml

Remember, any cert is only worth as much time as you put in to Earning it. The more you know, the better you'll do, on the exam, and in real life.

Good Luck!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • LETHALAILETHALAI Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips! :D
    It's easier to walk the path if you have a road to follow.
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    My way of remembering the OSI model.

P Please (Physical layer)
    D Do (Data Link layer
    N Not (Network layer)
    T Throw (Transport layer)
    S Sausage (Session layer)
    P Pizza (Presentation layer)
    A Away (Application layer)

It works for me. And I agree that the software that comes with the Sybex books leaves a lil to be desired, but all in all the book is a good one and if you throw some transcenders in there you have a much better chance of passing.
  • embodierembodier Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DrizztDrizzt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys you don't know me as I'm new to the forum. I just sat my A+ core yesterday and passed it! I used your exam notes for it and they helped me quite a bit, in fact, I would go as far as to say they gave me the edege and got me over the bar! I hope that the OS Tech is easier!

Thanks for the notes!

Another way of remembering the OSI Model is:

Application       All
    Presentation    People
    Session            Seem
    Transport         To
    Network           Need
    Data                Data
    Physical           Protection

And if you put the following next to the last 4 above you can remember what kind of data is at each stage!

Silly       Segments
    police     Packets
    flute       Frames
    band      Bits

Hope that helps some of you!

Drizzt icon_wink.gif
  • bwolfebwolfe Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My way of remembering the OSI model.

P Please (Physical layer)
    D Do (Data Link layer
    N Not (Network layer)
    T Throw (Transport layer)
    S Sausage (Session layer)
    P Pizza (Presentation layer)
    A Away (Application layer)

It works for me. And I agree that the software that comes with the Sybex books leaves a lil to be desired, but all in all the book is a good one and if you throw some transcenders in there you have a much better chance of passing.

Cool. I learned another one. Only thing that might confuse some with yours is that the OSI model actually begins with layer 7 (Application Layer) at the top of the model. Physical Layer (layer 1) is at the bottom. In some cases its an important distinction.