Options

Question on 3640 status lights

cmccul002cmccul002 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got the 3640 and it didn't come with a console cable, Im waiting on that. The router has a

system light and a RPS light. I plugged it in just to make sure it powered up. The system light

blinks and the RPS light is off. Is this right?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:

This is on the Cisco website for 3640. But it says "sys/RPS" but its 2 different lights. And My 3640 doesnt have a front panel power light.

Front Panel Indicators
    The following indicator LEDs provide power, activity, and status information:

•Power (green)—Lit when power is on

•Sys/RPS (green):

–Rapid blinking (200 ms)—System is booting

–Slow blinking (1 s)—Redundant power supply (RPS) failure

–Continuous on—System OK

•Activity (green)—Blinks during system activity, such as interrupts and packet transfers
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    RPS = Redundant Power Supply
  • Options
    There is a seperate System Light and RPS Light.

The System light is a fast blink, RPS light is off.

Then there is Active and Ready 0 1 2 3

Active 0 is blinking and Ready 0 is solid.

1 2 3 on all are off.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Normally when it is blinking it is booting up trying to load the IOS image....

Quite possible you have been sent a router without an IOS image on it and it is consistently scrolling through boot then hitting rommon.......

Get your hands on a console cable and find out!!! My bet is that it is in rommon because it can't find a valid IOS image......

In that case you may need to use xmodem or tftpdnld if your rommon image supports it.... :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    A.P.A wrote:
    Normally when it is blinking it is booting up trying to load the IOS image....

Quite possible you have been sent a router without an IOS image on it and it is consistently scrolling through boot then hitting rommon.......

Get your hands on a console cable and find out!!! My bet is that it is in rommon because it can't find a valid IOS image......

In that case you may need to use xmodem or tftpdnld if your rommon image supports it.... :)

Thank You. Im going to look in my area for some type of Networking Co. to see if I can buy a Console Cable ASAP. I only have seven days to return the router if its bad. I ordered one from ebay today, but i doubt it will be here in time.

Any tips on buying one locally?

Im going to search to see if I can make my own, but I would have to buy it all.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    The router isn't bad because it doesn't have a valid IOS image.

Many ebay sellers take the IOS image off when selling as it's actually illegal to sell a router with a valid IOS image unless you have bought the router through a cisco partner or reseller with a valid service contract.

It's common knowledge if you happen to buy a router or switch off ebay without an IOS image that you have to try and source a valid image yourself.

P.S - sellers should be sending you the full kit if you buy the router...... e.g console cable etc....

hope this helps :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    A.P.A wrote:
    The router isn't bad because it doesn't have a valid IOS image.

Many ebay sellers take the IOS image off when selling as it's actually illegal to sell a router with a valid IOS image unless you have bought the router through a cisco partner or reseller with a valid service contract.

It's common knowledge if you happen to buy a router or switch off ebay without an IOS image that you have to try and source a valid image yourself.

P.S - sellers should be sending you the full kit if you buy the router...... e.g console cable etc....

hope this helps :D

I see.

The listing said the Router had 12.4 IOS. Yea, this seller didnt send any cables. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Don't look for a Networking company. Look for a place in the phone book that sells Cabling. You may or may not be lucky enough to have a Graybar store in your area. Stores like Graybar sell everything from 1 AWG Copper Electrica Cable to single mode fiber optics and everything else under sun you would need to get the job done. You could just by some Cat5e, some RJ45 connectors and a crimping tool and make your own console cable. A console cable is the second eisiest cable to make right after a straight through cable. Its you standard roll-over cable, pin 1 to pin 8, pin 2 to pin 7, pin 3 to pin 5 and so on.
  • Options
    LBC90805 wrote:
    Don't look for a Networking company. Look for a place in the phone book that sells Cabling. You may or may not be lucky enough to have a Graybar store in your area. Stores like Graybar sell everything from 1 AWG Copper Electrica Cable to single mode fiber optics and everything else under sun you would need to get the job done. You could just by some Cat5e, some RJ45 connectors and a crimping tool and make your own console cable. A console cable is the second eisiest cable to make right after a straight through cable. Its you standard roll-over cable, pin 1 to pin 8, pin 2 to pin 7, pin 3 to pin 5 and so on.

Doesn't it need a DB9 connector though? or am I wrong?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cmccul002 wrote:
    You're right. I'd always get the DB-9 adapters confused all the time, so now I just always carry one of the Cisco Console Cables with the molded DB-9 on one end.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    cmccul002 wrote:
    LBC90805 wrote:

Whoops, a simple oversight by myself.