Options

Passed!!

rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed 70-270 today! quite a few tricky random questions in there so didn't feel too confident by the time I got to question 50, massive smile on my face when I see the word passed! :D

So, on to 290 now then!

Couple of questions.

Is the 290 similar to the 270? thinking of doing some hardcore studying and just going for it.

I'm in two minds on what study material to go for, used MS Press for the 270 exam but I feel it left out a few important subjects, IIS being one of them, I've heard the Sybex books are pretty good, whaddya reckon?

One last thing, thanks to everyone on this site, it's a real goldmine of useful information and I'm very glad I stumbled across it.

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    congrats! good luck on the 290
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on the pass.

I would say the 70-270 and 70-290 are about the same as far as difficulty. Obviously the 70-290 is going to be sever side stuff. I'd say study like you did for the 70-270 and you should be ok. Can't comment on the sybex books as I have never used them. The technotes on this site are good, as well as cramsession study guides (both free), so make sure you check them out.

Good luck with 70-290!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass! Yup, you'll find that a lot of things - like user/group permissions, NTFS security, among other things - will be similar. There's quite a bit of overlap between the two exams, so you've got a good head-start. You'll definitely need to get a couple of machines up and running as lab-servers for the 70-290 though, some things won't sink in until you've actually done the work. (This will become even more important as you move through the MCSE exams.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    rooleeroolee Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the pointers guys.

Definitely going to be doing a lot more labs in the future, it's the one thing I didn't really bother with for the 270 exam.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    roolee wrote:
    Thanks for the pointers guys.

Definitely going to be doing a lot more labs in the future, it's the one thing I didn't really bother with for the 270 exam.

Yes, lab up for this test. I always suggest combining lab with test prep. Take a quick practice test. Either you know the answer or not. This gives you the best indication of what you truely know. Then review the questions using TechNet and any books you have. Build labs based upon your incorrect answers. Repeat as needed icon_wink.gif Fast test, slow review. It has never let me down. Unless you count the 70-291....

Using this method I usually pass the actual exam with 15% higher results than I am getting on test prep. If you are studying properly don't be concerned if your scores are a little lower on test prep just before the actual exam.