Options

jobs

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
How do you know when its time to move one from one job to the next? When you stop learning? I know money is not the key factor but its a big factor. I am just not really happy at my current job, I have been here over a year now and just don't really like it. I was at my last job for 2 years and I moved into this job because of a $15,000 pay raise. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I do learn from this job but my boss can be a big prick somtimes you know.

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You do realize most bosses are pricks, right?

How do you know? Well, when you're not growing in soft or hard skills at the rate you should. If you're not happy is another good indicator so long as you understand that no job is perfect.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    I know no job is prefect. But it really feels like his holding me back, or he will second guess me all the time and I have not given him a reason to.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Have you talked to him about how its making your work life miserable? Can you?
  • Options
    The problem is 99% him. Before you say go above him, he owns the company. We tried to get out mileage uped. We drive our own cars to the client sites and he was mad about that. He promised a raise after being with the company after 90 days. He has never brought it up. I brought the review he was supposed to do, but he never bought up the raise.
  • Options
    EJizzelEJizzel Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its funny because I feel the same as you.

I left my old job because it started to get remedial, I felt like I wasnt learning anything and it was way to much work. Though it was a good company I felt it was time to go and I really saw no opportunities for advancement (though i was only there for 7 months). Then my old job came a callin... I worked here while going to school 5-6 years ago mainly doing office work, research and other office support functions. I always visted to say hello to everyone and they offered me a job. My main concern was that I wanted to learn and I didnt even take a large pay raise (about $2500)

Let me just say that coming back here was the worst mistake I ever made. The senior tech refuses to let me get my feet wet (i believe its fear of losing his job) and he second guesses everything I say also. I haven't learned anything but im gonna stick it out until the end of summer.

I totally learned that things aren't always greener on the other side and I will also look deeper into future job opportunities.
  • Options
    The Sr. Tech here will tell you half of the anwser and then thats it and I am like that cant be right, there has to be more to it. He won't get go into detail. Then one day clients start going down and he tells me to go here and here. If I don't do it he gets mad and want help me for a while and if I do I get in trouble from my boss doing since he didnt give it to me. But if a client stays down and the sr tech told me to do it and my boss told me no. I get in trouble for the client being down, so I am left holding the bag.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's one thing about working in a small shop like that.

You probably have enough experience to look for something else.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    macdude wrote:
    The Sr. Tech here will tell you half of the anwser and then thats it and I am like that cant be right, there has to be more to it. He won't get go into detail. Then one day clients start going down and he tells me to go here and here. If I don't do it he gets mad and want help me for a while and if I do I get in trouble from my boss doing since he didnt give it to me. But if a client stays down and the sr tech told me to do it and my boss told me no. I get in trouble for the client being down, so I am left holding the bag.

What is this! Quit! this is not a professional job!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The fact that you're writing this post must mean its time to move on...

Put your CV out there and see what happens, you never know you might stumble over something thats a dream opportunity