Advice Or Opinion Needed!

kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi mates,
I'm planning to do MCSA 2003 (selfpace) and I need an advice or your opinion regarding where to start this cert. or What is the best practise to start this certification?
in MCSA 2003, which paper I have to study first, you know, paper sequel? or its not necessary to study a particular paper first?
which books to follow(read the chapter) and then CBT of that topic and then question?(which one)
I'm not a newbie in this but after 2 years of break I want to persue my career in I.T again.
what books should I buy? any simulation and what is the best CBT to go with?
I'm currently off to work and can study 8 hours daily? guys who have passed their MCSA,please tell me that how long it will take to clear this.
Please guide me as I really need your pro. advice or opinion from those who did it and did it fast somehow, I'm planning to do it from tomorrow or day after.
Thanks in advance
Regards

P.S: I know that this question is like a dead one because has been asked many many times before, please bare with me.

Thank you guys

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Read this thread first. It has a lot of good information. Normally people start with the Windows XP exam

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=470
  • kahnkahn Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks gojericho0
    I have already seen that topic and checked the external links as well. but what I really want to know is personal experience from the tech guys who already did this.
    I told you as I'm off to work now-a-days and can spend 8 hours a day to study.
    again, kindly bare this with me
    cheers
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Unless you have heavy server experience, I would start with the client exam. Either XP or Vista. If you have more experience in one of the other, start with that exam. MS Press books are usually the best starting point.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Unless you have heavy server experience, I would start with the client exam. Either XP or Vista. If you have more experience in one of the other, start with that exam. MS Press books are usually the best starting point.

Alright, thanks
    No, I don't have heavy experience at server side and now definitely start with my preparation with XP but I'm maintaining my home lab so I can practice more and more at my place and try different scenarios.

ajs1976 can you please tell me that how many terminals do I need to place in order to get good hands-on. Currently I have 2 clients of XP and one server 2003.

Cheers
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also, if you have pretty good PC you can create virtual machines using. I would recommend making up your own Lab scenarios and the end of reading each chapter to help reinforce what you have read. This for me takes the majority of my study time and both techniques really compliment each other well.

As far as time period goes its really hard to say. I'd recommend taking as much time as needed to really understand and apply the material.
    ok thanks gojericho0 for the advice
    but I think my server can't take the load of virtual machines. Ok if its hard to say the time frame thing, may be some other techie could say something about that.
    thanks for your time guys.
    Cheers
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Put together a lab of VMs with 2 DCs and a member server and a client if you can swing that. If not then just the 2 DCs and the member server will suffice. A lab helps for the XP exam if you decide to take that but you could also go for the Vista exam which a lot of people seem to be recommending these days. But for the 290 you'll definitely want a lab of a DC and a workstation or member server. Get yourself lots of practice on that and don't forget to read the technotes here. They're a life saver. For the 291 you'll want the lab set up mentioned in the beginning and put lots of study into that one. Go through everything in royal's sticky post. I also recommend the MS Press books for both exams. If you have some familiarity with the technology and 4-6 months of previous experience with Server 2003 then with 2 hard and rough weeks dedicated to each of those exams you should be fine. The elective exam is up to you, A+ is easy enough to achieve and the Network+ doesn't look too difficult. The Vista exam counts as an elective so that's another quick and easy way. The Security+ is pretty hard but the knowledge is very worthwhile in my opinion. It helps out a good bit with the 291 I think. I'd say for me the Security+ was the hardest exam followed by XP and then the 291. If you're dedicated and hard working you could do it in that time frame. But just make sure you don't rush things too hard. You need to know what you're talking about as well, not just past a test!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Put together a lab of VMs with 2 DCs and a member server and a client if you can swing that. If not then just the 2 DCs and the member server will suffice.

thank you mate for your detail advice.
    I'm looking forward to get my hands on these.
    Cheers