what if you don't meet the requirements?(update-interviewed)

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
what if you don't have ALL the required knowledge when applying for a job, would you still try your luck?
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Never hurts to apply, worst thing that can happen is they don't call.
    Dustin Leefers
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A lot of the companies will put down what they want. Almost always, they'll never get exactly what they're asking for. You can't always make a 100% match. They'll take in all the applications. If they notice that the trend for people applying doesn't include everything they asked for, they will compromise and maybe hire 2 different people for the different job functions.

Always always always apply even if you don't meet all the requirements. If you don't get hired, then you know you at least gave it a shot. If you didn't even try applying, you never know, that job could have been yours but you assumed you wouldn't have gotten it so your loss. Just make sure you do not lie and what you have on your resume you can in fact do. And don't try to act as if you have all the skills asked for.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    Always always always apply even if you don't meet all the requirements. If you don't get hired, then you know you at least gave it a shot. If you didn't even try applying, you never know, that job could have been yours but you assumed you wouldn't have gotten it so your loss. Just make sure you do not lie and what you have on your resume you can in fact do. And don't try to act as if you have all the skills asked for.

+1000000

It's worked out great for me. Use your judgement, if it's a job you think you can do, then go for it!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It usually doesn't hurt to apply for any job you think you're qualified for. Like was previously stated the qualifications are often a wish list and they will usually never fill them all with the right person, the only exception is when a job posting lists something like:
    PMP (required)
    Then you probably shouldn't apply if you don't have it.

Some job postings are ridiculous (often when posted through recruiters) and ask for something like:
    Job Title: Service Desk Analyst I
    Requirements: 10-12 years experience in IT, with a masters degree in computer science
    Required certifications: MCSE, RHCE, CCIE, JNCIE, PMP, CCIA
    Expected Salary: 25-35k
    Then you are probably safe to ignore *all* the requirements. :)
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    I have already made my application, I meet some of their requirements but I don't have a working knowledge with POS and accounting softwares like ACCPAC. They also require knowledge in visual basic and foxpro which i really dont know. Besides this not POS company. their into food processing and i don't think it is necessary to have programming knowledge.

My current status with this company is under consideration.
    I would like to ask what would be the best answers if they ask you about things you don't know? Is it good to say you are willing to learn? suggestions pls.. thank you! :)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually read an overview of topics I'm not familiar with so I know the basics. Like the other have stated don't lie about your knowledge, but I would go in there with at least some general knowledge on any subjects you are unfamiliar with.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I'd also add that often many employers don't really understand completely the type of person and the skills they need to hire for a position. While you will encounter a few hiring managers that only want people that have come from the same cookie cutter, many can be sold on your ability to conduct yourself in an interview using your "soft skills." My particular tactic is to talk with the hiring manager to find out what his/her problems are and then volunteer information on how to design and build the necessary solutions and fix the problems. I make a strong impression that my job in that company will be to make my boss' life easier. This seems to work very well.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Also bear in mind that Job Postings can be written by HR Managers and sometimes they dont even know what the certifications are they are asking for! icon_lol.gif

I say go for it, what can you loose?

If you dont send off your CV then you dont get called.

You send it you may or may not be called.

As they say in the UK for the lottery "Gotta be in it to win it!!"
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sometimes you have to take things with a grain of salt. For my current job, a bachelor's degree is required, as is 3+ years experience with Exchange. When I applied, I had neither, but the company felt that I was strong in other areas and they were convinced to hire me after they'd had a chance to sit down and talk to me. (This is a key point, getting in front of people is as important as the list of skills on your resume. In my case, they liked the fact that I have the kind of personality to go out and talk to people, specifically customers and users.) They were willing to have me come onboard and let me learn the things that were considered holes in my experience for this job.

Should you apply for jobs that have requirements or "nice-to-haves" that are beyond you? Sure, just make sure that you do a reality-check before you send off that resume. If it's a network administrator gig, and you've never really touched a router, then it's not a good idea to apply. If it's a software development position, and you don't know your "if-else" statement from a hole in the ground, then you should probably pass that one up. However, if you read the job description and get a good feeling that you could do this job, but you still don't fit the requirements exactly, shoot that resume off and don't stress yourself. The worst that can happen is that they say "no".

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sie wrote:
    Also bear in mind that Job Postings can be written by HR Managers and sometimes they dont even know what the certifications are they are asking for! icon_lol.gif
    This is also very true. The company might have gotten burned by previous paper-certed employees, so they tack on as much as possible in the hopes they'll scare away the cheating idiots.

I've also seen cases where it was painfully obvious the ads were written by an HR manager who, while trying his/her best to articulate the job-responsibilities, didn't quite have the cert-knowledge to go at the hiring alone:
    Dice.com wrote:
    Sr. Network Engineer
    Will supervise network staff, be responsible for high-level connectivity functions. . . (etc.)
    Requirements: 7+ years experience in enterprise networks, B.S. or B.A. in related field (Computer Science, Mathematics, engineering), MCSE, CCNA
    Dice.com wrote:
    Jr. Network Engineer
    Will assist senior networking staff in day-to-day activities, resolve trouble-tickets. . .(etc.)
    Requirements: 1-2+ years experience with networking hardware, high school diploma or GED, CCNA, CCIE

I kid you not. I was almost tempted to apply for the senior position, since I'd just taken my CCNA at the time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I already applied for the position. It's a System Admin job. (my dream job). I know I can do the job since they did not mention about any regarding exchange and cisco routers.Probably a small domain environment. My only problem is about POS or cash registers, programming know how and a degree. anyway i got 2 years IT diplomaicon_cry.gif btw i'm an MCP.
    Wish me luck guys and thanks for all the advice.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should always apply for anything you are interested in, as the good ole saying from my neck of the woods go..."Shy bairns get nowt!" (basically means if you dont try you will never know).

Good luck on the app. Let us know how it goes.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've been able to get interviews for jobs that I didn't meet every single requirement for. Such as one job they were looking for Citrix experience but were quite willing to settle for someone who looks like he can learn Citrix. Unfortunately I didn't land the job because I was out of state but they did really like me anyhow. The only issue I've run into are recruiters who don't really know what they are talking about. I've had the same conversation several times where they gush about how they love my resume, they love that I meet every single requirement of the job description, but they need to know do I have an MCSE. My answer of no not yet but it is in the works gets a response of try again later bub. I've been running into that more and more lately since it seems like lots of companies in Phoenix are using recruiters instead of doing direct hire. But it is just another obstacle to get around. If you can get to the interview -- turn on the WOW!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    I just had my interview today and I was very disappointed how it went. There were 33 applicants for the system admin position, only seven were considered and I’m one of them. I was puzzled why I’m the only person waiting there for the interview. It seems that the person who interviewed me is not into IT. He asked basic questions in Hardware repair which in contrary I’m not expecting most. I was expecting the questions would be based in domain administration and things like RIS, IIS, etc. He didn’t even asked me about my areas of expertise listed in my resume. Hard part is he’s not aware what’s an MCP…He asked what is this? Is this an exam? after asking me a lot of very basic questions…He told me sorry but your skills are very basic so I’ll forward you resume to the HR for Junior tech position. I’ve went to a series of exams about 450 items…yes 450 items of abstract and personality test. after finishing those for 4 hours they told me to just wait for a call. I’m pretty annoyed doing those test cause its totally irrelevant for the job I applied for. I have not given the opportunity to show my knowledge and the hardest part is when they told me my skills are very basic. It’s hard on my part because I know my self and I know my knowledge are not basic. Now im thinking of withdrawing my application on the job recruitment site. I heard stories from people there that the former admin had just resigned and he didn’t even finished a year there. Another junior tech will be resigning soon so maybe something is wrong with administration. It makes me think why he want to put me for the junior tech job, when they did not even list a junior tech position on their job ad and now he’s telling they have opening for junior tech? Im suspecting they want to cut cost for the job title. I just want to ask you guys, if ever they call me for the junior tech position is it just ok to ask how much is the salary?
    Basic salary negotiation -- let them bring up the subject of salary first and let them name the first figure. There are exceptions to the rule though. This place doesn't sound like the greatest work atmosphere. They probably know nothing about your skills but are just basing you off of your previous experience. If you're really wanting to work there you could get your foot in the door with the junior tech position and blow them away with your skills and work ethic and get a shot at a higher level position soon. If they offer you the job you could accept it on the stipulation that you get a review after 3 months or 6 months for a possibly higher level position. Don't forget to get everything in writing!
    It seems pretty bad, but I have to say the 1st interview (if you get past the first interview) isn't necessarily THE indicator of what will happen. The second interview will probably be with someone more technical.

My current company had the same kind of turnover in the network and desktop admin positions before I got there. The reason ended up being that they were bent on a departmental makeover and needed people with better attitudes and work ethic, and more motivated to develop professionally. Not so much to do with skills or pay. I've been with the company for less than 2 years and out of the other 7 desktop/admin/engineer staff, only one has been here longer than me. But now we have the right team. No turnover in more than a year.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    I’ve got a call from the HR and they offered me the job for Junior tech position. Salary is too low, about 20% lower than the salary report from job sites here. I told the HR if it’s just ok to give me time till tomorrow before I decide and she told me she’ll give me a call tomorrow. I’m still thinking if I’m going to take this job or not. Factors involve are salary which is a bit too low, the experience I can earn and probably a new lab for the MCSA track icon_lol.gif , and of course the duties involved – which I think a dog work because they got over 50 outlets with bunch of POS machines. Again, I’d like to ask your opinion. Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about the salary surveys. If it pays enough for you to live comfortably and you enjoy the work than I wouldn't really be worried about too much more.

On the other hand, if the experience isn't going to be good and its working with outdated (I'm assuming thats what you mean by "POS") equipment, than you will probably be better off somewhere else.

Just remember any job is better than no job....
    Ask for more. Negotiate.

If the salary is too low just ask them to raise it a bit. When you talk to them the next day tell them about how excited you are about the job and how happy you are that they gave you an offer. Tell them about the research you've done and what you see as the market level for that and also give some justifications for why you would deserve more. Here's a few places I'd recommend to get you started on ideas:

http://www.quintcareers.com/salary_negotiation_tutorial.html
    http://www.quintcareers.com/salary_counter_proposal.html

Also putting salary negotiation into Google will get you a number of sites with really great ideas on how to approach this.
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    I would think he is referring to point-of-sale equpiment, due to comments about cash registers above.

Maybe I did not catch this, but are you in IT now?

-Travis
    Man I totally missed the POS references from above. Shows where my mind is.... The gutter!
    theseman wrote:
    I would think he is referring to point-of-sale equpiment, due to comments about cash registers above.

-Travis

I actually resigned from my previous job in an Internet Caffe. Yes POS means point of sales equipments. Yes I think the company is outdated since they only have a windows 2000 server and about 50 clients which i think old pentiums.
    If you're unemployed or have a worse job, take this one. Otherwise, if this is not the kind of experience you think you need to gain, maybe it's not for you.
    IT guy since 12/00

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    If you're unemployed or have a worse job, take this one. Otherwise, if this is not the kind of experience you think you need to gain, maybe it's not for you.

probably the best advice. Especially since I (and probably everyone else too) have no knowledge of the Phillippino Job market salaries.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    theseman wrote:

-Travis

I actually resigned from my previous job in an Internet Caffe. Yes POS means point of sales equipments. Yes I think the company is outdated since they only have a windows 2000 server and about 50 clients which i think old pentiums.

I would take it until something better came along. And 2000 server is still a very common server to see in the industry!

-Travis
  • dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    snadam wrote:
    blargoe wrote:

probably the best advice. Especially since I (and probably everyone else too) have no knowledge of the Phillippino Job market salaries.

Take the job. You said that you just resigned from your Internet Cafe job and this offer will put you in the right track.

Negotiate your salary with them. Tell them what you can give to the company and sell yourself.

I started in IT working with POS machines running on Windows NT 4.0. Win2k isn't that bad. They offered me 9,000 PHP/month. That was 8 years ago. Every year my salary increased. Ask them if you have salary increases too.

What exactly is the name of the company if you don't mind me asking?
    Oh, btw, congratulations on the offer! :D
    Focused and Steady.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man I totally missed the POS references from above. Shows where my mind is.... The gutter!

Been hanging around on the Cisco boards too much? icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.