CCNA LABS???

SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
Well i got my self 2 2501, and 2503 routers 2 1912 switch and going to order a 2950 next week, got all the cables needed and everything should be ready to start labs... The questions is what do I do??? what labs i do?? is there a lab book or a lab guide of all the labs i should do???

found this online http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/ccna/ccnp-materials/ciscokits-self-study-lab-workbook/prod_34.html
is it any good?????

any suggestions??? thanks

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I have this lab book at home and its easy to follow, todd lammle's ccna book has some good labs in it as well as study material.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The first thing you should do is take a peek at the CCNA F.A.Q. on this site. Most of the information you need is there. The second piece of advice I can give you is to pick up one of the two study resources:

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide (Todd Lammle)
    CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Wendell Odom)

If you do the labs and scenarios suggested at the end of each chapter of either set of books, you'll gain the understanding of the topics you need for the exam(s). The lab-book you mentioned is good, but these two books are the de facto standard for studying for this certification. You can also check out additional resources like CBT Nuggets and TestOut for video training, which will give you a much better picture of what you actually have to do when configuring your equipment.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well i got my self 2 2501, and 2503 routers 2 1912 switch and going to order a 2950 next week, got all the cables needed and everything should be ready to start labs... The questions is what do I do??? what labs i do?? is there a lab book or a lab guide of all the labs i should do???

found this online http://www.ciscokits.com/cube/ccna/ccnp-materials/ciscokits-self-study-lab-workbook/prod_34.html
    is it any good?????

any suggestions??? thanks

Just get out and about on the basics for CCNA really. Your problem is similar to when all those remote racks appeared and people wanted CCIE. OK I can log on..so what do I do now? Those remote rack vendors offered..nothing :)

But your CCNA problem is less severe than that :) Work on the router in isolation first..then make a few things happen between routers!
  • SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    i currently have the cbt nuggets for the CCNA, but it goes over all the concepts and some labs made by him... but i want something like the labs that come with the router sim... like a book just for labs, that tells you an acenario then you try to solve it and on the back are the answers for it...
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    i currently have the CBT Nuggets for the CCNA, but it goes over all the concepts and some labs made by him... but i want something like the labs that come with the router sim... like a book just for labs, that tells you an acenario then you try to solve it and on the back are the answers for it...

Supermiguel,

The best "answers" come from the Cisco networking devices themselves.
  • SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    ya but my question is .... after turn on the router and assign and ip and set up rip between them what do i do??? is there a lab manual for this??
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    ya but my question is .... after turn on the router and assign and ip and set up rip between them what do i do??? is there a lab manual for this??
    Start with reading one of the books I recommended. Going through those chapters, you'll learn what you need to know to set up routing and switching environments. In this particular case, you need to be able to ping between the routers not directly connected, and you know that RIP is working properly. Begin your studying, and do your lab-work as you go along.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • bone_matalebone_matale Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the best way to start(I think) is to use a simulator, this allows you skip the connecting the devices and stuff, so you have more time for configuring and messing around :D . also be imaginative, as you learn, fool around, you realy understand better when you make mistakes. and its so exciting

a great advantage to the simulator is there is unlimited number of devices so you can really go big.

i.e. i fooled around 6 routers, 18 switches, 30 nodes, 3 LANs usin NAT and multiple protocols running!!!!! :D
    Anything is possible wit a lil Hard work
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    the best way to start(I think) is to use a simulator, this allows you skip the connecting the devices and stuff, so you have more time for configuring and messing around

I think this is the main reason NOT to start with a sim. Haven't you ever heard of the crawl, walk, run approach?

You can learn a lot of valuable stuff by grabbing a couple REAL devices and starting from scratch establishing connectivity from L1 up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    a great advantage to the simulator is there is unlimited number of devices so you can really go big.
    Exactly what do you accomplish "going big?

50 routers running RIP isn't impressive.

5-6 routers running OSPF, BGP, and MPLS is -- if you know what your doing and didn't just copy the some commands from a book and past them them in.

Are these "big labs?"
    CCNA 4-5 routers 3 Switches
    CCNP 5-6 routers 3-4 switches (and maybe 12 routers in Dynamips for BSCI).
    CCIE 6-9 routers 4 Switches

I've probably said it before -- it isn't how big your lab is, it's what you do with it.

I think I also said It doesn't matter how big your lab is, there's always going to be someone with a bigger lab.

And I guess I could throw in here -- My real lab is bigger than your simulated lab. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bone_matalebone_matale Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    Exactly what do you accomplish "going big?

50 routers running RIP isn't impressive.

5-6 routers running OSPF, BGP, and MPLS is -- if you know what your doing and didn't just copy the some commands from a book and past them them in.

Are these "big labs?"
    CCNA 4-5 routers 3 Switches
    CCNP 5-6 routers 3-4 switches (and maybe 12 routers in Dynamips for BSCI).
    CCIE 6-9 routers 4 Switches

I've probably said it before -- it isn't how big your lab is, it's what you do with it.

I think I also said It doesn't matter how big your lab is, there's always going to be someone with a bigger lab.

And I guess I could throw in here -- My real lab is bigger than your simulated lab. icon_lol.gif

alright guys i'm still a novice, and thanks for correcting me and the advice!!!!
    Anything is possible wit a lil Hard work