Options

confused - remote desktop software?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I was just looking at the wiki chart http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software for some remote desktop software that I can use to control another machine that is dual booting Linux and XP Pro. I was surprised at how much there was, is there any recommendations you guys have for some? This is just for home use and its over a LAN so security isn't much of a problem. But theres another catch, I would like to have it WOL but I'm dual booting with grub and I would need to switch between Linux and XP in a couple seconds.

I did try the built in remote desktop built in both Vista and XP. Quite frankly, it sucked, it was way too laggy to do what I wanted to do with the remote machine. Not to mention it was annoying to transfer the ticket to the other machine. Think I should invest in a Gigabit switch/router for this stuff? Maybe some Draft N also?

Just doing a VM popped in my head but XP licenses aren't free and Linux doesn't like my main computer's video card. Not to mention I would like to play some older games on the other machine (stuff that doesn't like Vista 64's compatibility mode).

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you trying to be able to control it while its in the boot process (i.e., be able to select it from within GRUB)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Are you trying to be able to control it while its in the boot process (i.e., be able to select it from within GRUB)

I would like to be able to do that. Switch to either xp or linux in grub. Its probably a lot to ask for but it'll be nice.

Will the software take care of the WOL? I know how it works but I have yet to know how many different programs can do it.
  • Options
    I would like to be able to do that. Switch to either xp or linux in grub. Its probably a lot to ask for but it'll be nice.
    That's what I thought. To do this you'll require hardware assist from a remote control card (e.g., DRAC, iLO, RSA, etc) but this isn't really doable on a desktop PC as they tend to be proprietary (haven't seen generic ones in years).

Is there any reason you can't run one O/S and the other using VMware Workstation? As for performance RDP is one of the more efficient remote control protocols, what kind of things were you trying to accomplish remotely? Multimedia? Gaming? etc
  • Options
    Ah, a card is a bit to much. I'll probably like to connect to the computer with Linux with Vista machines as the controlling client computers. I'll just have to VM XP then. I hate to VM Linux though, I don't like setting up a machine on my laptop and desktops.

As for RDP, what does it mean "viewer only" under Linux?

As for uses, I'll like to use it for torrenting, file backup, storing, and maybe playing some movies from it in the future.
  • Options
    It means you can't use RDP to connect to a Linux box, only to connect from Linux to a Windows machine.

You can use VNC to remote control the Linux machine. I would suggest using UltraVNC as the client on the Windows machine (to remote control the Linux machine), VNC should be available as a package on your Linux distro.

You should be okay using it for all of those things except movies - you're going to suffer big time there, you'd probably be better using NFS or Samba on the Linux machine and connecting directly to the share from your Windows machine to play the movies.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    RDP in XP shouldn't be laggy over a LAN. I use it all the time on 100meg and/or wireless G.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    RTmarc wrote:
    IP KVM.

Best thing to get imo

Probably too expensive for such minimal use though.

I think we got ours for about $700 and then the SIP pods are $60 a pop.