Passed 70-291 yesturday!

mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
Thanks for the comments and suggestions on the forum guys, the exam is VERY heavily based on DNS and DHCP. There wasn't as much WSUS and grou policy as i'd hoped as i'm very strong in this areas but anyway, I passed....but....... icon_rolleyes.gif

Passing score = 700
My score = 700

I almost fainted when I saw the congratulations screen as I had a feeling I wasn't doing as great as I would have hoped, but when I saw the 700 score I couldn't help but to burst out laughing in shock. The funniest part is I went through my questions at the end of the exam and changed 2 or 3 answers as I was a bit unsure as there was a few ways to do the certain situation (in my mind anyway) so those changes could have benefitted me either way to be fair.

It's a bit unfortunate that you can't see which ones you got right but you can clearly see why they do this icon_lol.gif

Just a congrats to anyone who has passed this exam, especially with an 800+, you really do deserve it icon_cool.gif

Anyway, to my main point of this post really. I'm wanting to go for my MCSE now and from what I gather, 70-293 would be the sensible next step as it involves quite a bit of 70-291, but i'm quite liking the look of 70-294 as i'm very good with ADUC. hmm..

Also, am I right in thinking that to get my MCSE from my current MCSA, that I need to do the following exams..

70-293
70-294

and either 70-297 or 70-298?

Cheers

Comments

• techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You will need two core exams(293 & 294), one design exam(297 or 29icon_cool.gif, and one elective(Security+, 70-299, etc). A+/Net+ don't count toward an MCSE elective. Good luck.
    Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pass is a pass, congratulations
  • mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    techster79 wrote:
    You will need two core exams(293 & 294), one design exam(297 or 29icon_cool.gif, and one elective(Security+, 70-299, etc). A+/Net+ don't count toward an MCSE elective. Good luck.

Gutted! Thats what I was after really, knowing if my Network+ would count as an elective. So basically another 4 exams to go. I'd best get reading! Cheers icon_lol.gif
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    congrats on the pass.
    Dustin Leefers
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mr2nut wrote:
    techster79 wrote:

Gutted! Thats what I was after really, knowing if my Network+ would count as an elective. So basically another 4 exams to go. I'd best get reading! Cheers icon_lol.gif

also, you can take sec+ to count for elective as well. congrats on pass and MCSA
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass. The score might feel like a "just barely", but there's no need to feel down about it. It's a tough test, and making anything that's 700 or more is an accomplishment to be proud of.

I'd recommend you do 70-298 as your design exam, all things being equal. I'm planning on doing that very same exam after I finish up 70-293, since a lot of the security topics from 70-293 transition extremely well. And, incidentally, try to get on-track and work on 70-293 as soon as possible. The things you learned while working on 70-291 will be a big help, and it's going to be easier to pick up the new stuff while things like DNS, DHCP, IPSec, and subnetting are still fresh.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass. The score might feel like a "just barely", but there's no need to feel down about it. It's a tough test, and making anything that's 700 or more is an accomplishment to be proud of.

I'd recommend you do 70-298 as your design exam, all things being equal. I'm planning on doing that very same exam after I finish up 70-293, since a lot of the security topics from 70-293 transition extremely well. And, incidentally, try to get on-track and work on 70-293 as soon as possible. The things you learned while working on 70-291 will be a big help, and it's going to be easier to pick up the new stuff while things like DNS, DHCP, IPSec, and subnetting are still fresh.

Cheers man, and thanks for all the other replies. Great forum icon_cool.gif

I'm now digging straight into my 70-293 exam. I was actually thinking of taking the 70-297 as my core design exam as this seems easier looking at the title as i'm good with active directory..or is the security one easier all round?
    I've just looked at the following link...

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

...and 70-297 and 70-298 are in the elective exam group but are also essential core design exams. How does that work then, does that mean once you have 70-297 you don't need an elective?! Confused now
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Electives have nothing to do with those 2 exams. You have to do all the exams specified for the MCSE but for the design exam you can do either 70-297 or 70-298. 70-298 is required if you plan on doing MCSE:Security. Granted you can still do both 70-297 and 70-298 if you want the AD design and security knowledge.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks