Outgoing Mail Problem

d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

We are having some trouble sending outgoing emails. The setup that is used at our customer is:
Clients use Outlook Express to download mail from the 'server' (PC Acting as a server)
The 'server' has a pop3 retrival program on which downloads from the pop3 host
The 'server' also has mailenable on which distributes the mail to the relevant client.

Now, they can receive, but they cannot send out. As soon as they send this is the bounceback:

MailEnable: Message could not be delivered to some recipients.

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Recipient: [SMTP:Emma@benefit2business.com]

Reason: Remote SMTP Server Returned: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

Message headers follow:

Received: from Paul ([192.168.1.16]) by printscope.com with MailEnable ESMTP; Fri, 30 May 2008 16:12:30 +0100
Message-ID: <01b601c8c267$93075350$1001a8c0@Paul>
To: "Emma Coates" <Emma@benefit2business.com>
Subject: Re: test
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:12:16 +0100
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01B3_01C8C26F.ED7C16B0"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
Disposition-Notification-To: "Printscope Ltd" <sales@printscope.com>
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198

I have tried the following:

Set OE to authenticate when they send out
Checked all usernames and passwords are correct
Put their external IP into two black list websites. I have found it listed on one (www.ordbl.com i think) but their website dosnt load

Help!?

Comments

• draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Is all outgoing email not working or just emails to this domain (@benfit2business.com)?

That bounceback message usually indicates a problem with the receiving side not yours.

Are your users trying to reply to an email from this site or send a new email to this address? Does anyone there have an internet email account such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. If so have them try sending emails to that address from there. If it goes through then you need to check your side, if not then most likely it's not anything on your side.

Send a test email from your work account to an internet email account, does it go through? If so try other address that are know to be working. If they go through then the problem is not on your side

If not emails are going out at all, double check the SMTP settings on your pc (server) as well as each client pc. Check with the ISP who hosts the POP3 and see if they made any changes on their end that could be affecting you.

Good luck.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Almost certainly on the end of whoever is hosting their email and not you. The error said the Remote server returned the error that your domain wasn't in their allowed list.

Have you check to make sure YOUR domain is not in a black list?

There's a couple of free websites that I use to test email problems like this.

http://www.wormly.com/tools - you can do an mx lookup on their domain to get their mail server's host name, and then run a test against their mail server to that email address. This will actually send them a test email.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com - more testing utilities, checks for open relay and has an email header analyzer
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    drainey wrote:
    That bounceback message usually indicates a problem with the receiving side not yours.
    Not necessary...
    Maybe your smtp server lost/forgot your IP address from the IP RELAY list ;)

Funniest thing happened few days ago when I got same message trying to send an email from my ISP-assigned mail-account & IP address; even yahoo.com and ISP's own domain were bounced :)
    Couple of hours later, everything went back to normal
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies guys. The bounceback is for ANY domain, hotmail, benefit2business.com etc. I'll double check and let you know the outcome!
  • d4nmfd4nmf Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Resolved by a bit of a technical "fudge"

Changed outgoing mail server to mail.domain.com
    Forced outgoing authentication to use the username and passwords

Now works icon_cool.gif