Time off work to sit exams - What's your place's policy?

malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
Not sure if this topic has been raised before but I'm sitting my CCDA in the next couple of weeks and taking a half day's holiday for it.

Do you folks line manager's let you have a few hours off to sit exams or do you take holidays?

I've never asked for time off to sit an exam, always just taken a day or half a days leave. Just interested in what you guys do and what your employer's policy is on this.

Malc

Comments

• nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I get paid hourly so I just take off the time needed to sit the exam and if I pass they pay
    WIP: IPS exam
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    I work for the Government and right now they're sending people to this $2200 Security+ 3 day cram class.

They pay for it no vacation time spent. That's yer tax dollars at work folks!

I usually take my tests on Sat morning/afternoons so I don't have to use the vacation.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I normally have my tests scheduled for after work hours. I normally get a half day on Fridays so that works out pretty well for me, no rush to get there or anything. I had to take a day off for the 291 though because they had no after work hours available plus I had to drive 2 hours there and then 2 back. My work place is anti-certification so I just told my boss I had family business to take care of and left it at that. Your employer doesn't have a right to know what you do with your time off.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    pwjohnston wrote:
    I work for the Government and right now they're sending people to this $2200 Security+ 3 day cram class.

*sigh*

I think I get one paid day for Jury Duty. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Prometric center I use is open 7 days a week, and Mon-Fri, they're open late. I've taken three of my MS exams over the weekend, and for the last one, I took off an hour early and wrapped up the exam around 8:00 PM.

My company has denied paying for training materials, so haven't even brought up the issue of taking tests during business hours.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My manager lets me go and sit an exam without having to use vacation time. I can't go after hours as the test center is only open during business hours. I usually take the afternoon off and drive up to the test center which is 40 minutes away.

The company will pay for the exam if I pass it and they will also reimburse me for any books I buy to study for the cert.
  • bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to take a day's holiday to sit an exam. icon_sad.gif

They do pay for it if you pass and its relevant to what job you do.

They also provide us with 1 training course a year(doing the 291 one next week.) which is pretty good. :D
    I forgot to mention I purchase my own study materials for the exams, does anyone's work buy books for them?
    I could see how beneficial it would be for a company to have a "library" for its IT staff
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I forgot to mention I purchase my own study materials for the exams, does anyone's work buy books for them?

my work bought my two books for my MCDST and will be paying for my exams. icon_cool.gif
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    In my current salary job as well as past hourly-wage jobs I've had, I get paid for time spent on writing the exams, that's given I at least try to schedule out-of-workhour exam times of course.

From what I have experienced as well as what my friends are getting, the general rule seems to be, get your money back for cost of exam if you pass, but you're on your own for study material unless it's reference material for the whole department or if you're granted the training budget.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm paid for my time to take my tests in Dallas. 3-hour drive, 2-hour test, 3-hour drive back = day off almost. Except it costs me $40 in gas or so.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The job I'm about to leave has a "unique" policy on certifications and training. Taking time off for the exams: that's vacation-hours. They pay for the exams, but the other end of it is that you get ZERO time during work-hours to study, and part of your quarterly review hangs upon how many certs you took during those three months. (You basically get dinged bonus-money for what you do on your free time.) You purchase your own training materials, no books or e-learning is provided by the company.

Suffice it to say, I'm looking forward to my new job, where the job will pay for my study materials, expect me to use part of my work-hours to train and study, and then pay for my exams while I go and clock a few hours to taking the test.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since I'm a consultant, I go when I am benched (at home).
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    royal wrote:
    Since I'm a consultant, I go when I am benched (at home).
    Yup, the formula for us consultants is:

no work = no pay check

So why not take an exam with your "free time" :)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My boss stopped buying study material but I can get all the "admin" guides I want, which for me is fine because I'll end up learning the product. We don't have a policy about time off for sititng an exam, but he let me go without taking vacation time and I get reimbursed for the fee.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    pwjohnston wrote:

I usually take my tests on Sat morning/afternoons so I don't have to use the vacation.
    I also work for the gov and I've paid for 6 out of 7 tests + study materials.
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    My office pay's if I pass :D , but I pay if I fail icon_cry.gif , hence it is easy to be motivated to study and pass.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I get time off to take the exams without dipping into my personal/vacation time.Tthey pay for the exams if I pass, with no limits on what or how many exams.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I schedule the exam during business hours and the drive to exam center (in town), the exam and the drive back are all considered work so it's just part of the day so no need to take time off.

They also pay for the study material if it's something beneficial to the company and they pay for the exam (first time pass or fail) if I have to retake they only pay if I pass.

I pay up front they reinburse me but it's usually within a day or two. Boss just told me today that they'd cover the tranceders also.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    I take exams during work hours. Always schedule them in the morning - head is clear and no food in stomach to steal brainpower :)

We have a point in our contract about education (you have to study and broaden your horizon, blah blah), so I safely assume that taking work-related exams is covered by that.

Employer pays for exams, books and e-training, because it's in their best interest to keep us professionally on the bleeding edge (positive implication this time).
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    pwjohnston wrote:

Sorry off topic here, but $2200 for Security+ is totally crazy. Especially for such an lower order magnitude of a cert. Maybe $500 at the most, at that is even pushing it for me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I pay for my exams, but I get reimbursed if I pass. 9/9 so far :D

I'm hourly, so I can take off almost whenever I want. I don't get paid for taking the exam, but I don't have to use any of my vacation/PTO time either. If I was salary, they'd simply ask that I make up the time on other days. I'm definitely jealous of the people who can take the exams after business hours or on the weekends. I would prefer to do that.

Work pays for CBT and Transcender for each exam as well as an ongoing Safari subscription. I also had them pick up VMWare Workstation and a TechNet download subscription for me.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My company pays for the study materials and the exam. I do not have to use any vacation time when I sit at the exam, in fact, I usually take the entire day off once I'm finished. :D

I give credit to anyone who can return to work after putting 3-6 months worth of studying to the test. My brain is usually fried at that point.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    My job pays for study materials, testing, and I don't have to take PTO to sit a test, however, they don't offer testing in my city on the weekends. Our personnel in Houston have to take their tests on the weekends or take PTO, since the tests are available on weekends. They don't mind us studying at work either, and I scored a Fiber school next week (after I hopefully pass my Net+ on Thursday). Pretty good gig, I think.