Test Date Set

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm taking the 70-290 fluffy kitten next Wed the 4th. :)

Wish me luck.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Luck to you friend, let us know how it goes. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Good luck man. What all did you use to prepare for it?
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used the MCSE/MCSA 70-290 study guide by Anil Desai (which I do not recommend).
    The Oreilly "MCSE Core Required Exams in a Nutshell" by William R. Stanek (I would recommend)
    The big "Mastering Windows 2003 Server" book by Mark Minasai (the Author is the best for best explained reference for begginners and advanced users)

I used the SuperMemo tool for memorizing the factual question/answers I created myself (if you have the time to do so) http://www.supermemo.com/

I also used tons of online reference (TechExams.Net,MS Technet, and tons of free Demo 70-290 exams..i.e. Preplogic, Ucertify etc) and built a home virtual VMware Server domain with a 2003 Servers and XP Client VM's. (nothing like on hands experience)

Thats about it.
    Well lads, sorry to say that the "fluffy kitten" had claws this time.

I failed with a 651. It was an interesting test session though. I felt calm about my choices through most of the test. I also thought I was well past 700. There were a few questions (and sims) that I just felt I was not interpreting the questions right. Well, I guess maybe its back to the "best choice" versus a correct choice.

Only thing that is really bothering me, is I dont feel I was really weak in any one particular area. So, I am not sure what to focus on except for a few small test questions that I could not recall if the answer was the "best solution" versus a "good/correct" solution. The test results are right down the line almost; so i guess I will re-read my materials and schedule the test again in a few weeks. :)
  • yoyogiyoyogi Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vmware doesn't support winxp...right? icon_mad.gif
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    yoyogi wrote:
    vmware doesn't support winxp...right? icon_mad.gif

Ummm if you're referring to being able to build a VM of XP yes it does!
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's very easy. I ran several 2003 servers and clients within a virtual network before. Good work, you'll get it next time. I won't say "good luck," since luck has little to do with passing. Just know your stuff and maintain confidence when you retake it.

Be sure to go over everything that you aren't sure about.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sorry to hear you failed, im sure you'll get it next time.

They can be tricky, firstly you have to work out what the questions are asking and before you answer you need to work out what the correct answer is and what the microsoft answer is!

All the best for the re-sit!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Thanks Guys/Gals.

Appreciate the support.

By the way, what do you guys think of the practice tests you purchase that come with the money back guarantee's or the free exam vouchers? I had downloaded several practice demo's from ucertify/preplogic (but only used the free content version I did not purchase) and lo and behold there were a good 2-3 test questions on the actual MS test that were the same...word for word.

I don't recall which demo it was..I think the Preplogic 70-290..I will check it again to be sure. I thought..geeze, if there are a few questions in the MS test that are also on the demo..is it really worth it to buy the full demo versions to increase my chances?

I was not really planning to "purchase" anything else until the next 70-291 after I passed. I have so much friggen downloaded content, books, practice exams and printouts....and a virtual environment..then that is enough to work with.

-Rikku
    Passed the 290 today with a 740. :P

Moving onto the 291 before I loose any speed and hopefully can take my first attempt at the end of the month.

Thanks for the support team!

-Rikku
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    291 in less than two weeks? You are one brave, dedicated soul!

Congratulations on the pass and good luck with the beast icon_thumright.gif
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Congrats on your pass!

Yeah, you better study REAL hard if your planning on testing for 291 in less than two weeks.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Rikku wrote:
    Thanks Guys/Gals.

I had downloaded several practice demo's from ucertify/preplogic (but only used the free content version I did not purchase) and lo and behold there were a good 2-3 test questions on the actual MS test that were the same...word for word.

-Rikku

Are you sure about that? I've used preplogic for A+, Network+, Security+, 70-270, 70-290 and I've never seen a question that was word for word. Besides, that would be considered a brain **** and preplogic has a long standing policy against brain ****. While the questions are similar, they are not word for word.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Hey Rikku,

I wanted to congratulate you. I had to delay my exam due to suffering from a strained eye and wasn't able to get a new test date set to the 25th. I hope to have positive experience also. Congraulations again!
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Rikku,

I have a question. Was the second exam significantly different than the first exam in terms of difficulty or did it follow along the same guidelines? Also, was it still mainly performance, auditing, and backup based or did it change? Just curious.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
    To answer your questions.

NetAdmin,

Ok, maybe some of the questions were not word for word, but a lot of the questions/answers seemed identical. A few of the questions were written so similiarily that I did not have to finish reading the question to know the answer. Just how it seemed to me.

On the 291, well, I may be pushing it, but I set high standards so I don't let myself get lazy on my studies at home. I actually feel more comfortable with DHCP/DNS because I worked with it so much that I think this test should be easier for me. But, think if I can spare to take a "trial" test. I can get a feel for shooting a passing grade on the next test if I dont pass the first go-round.

For MCPWAN,

To be honest. It's funny, this test seemed a lot harder and I was sure I was going to fail this test. The first test attempt I was sure I was going to pass...so go figure. But, the differences in the test questions..not so much. I am not sure how MS does there testing or keeps record of which tests a person takes...but I did get asked a few of the same questions as I was asked in the first attempt. Also, 1 or 2 SIMS were asked for completely different things on permissions/managing groups/users etc. There were a few odd backup/IIS questions that caught me off guard. I only had one performance monitoring question. It felt evenly matched for most questions. But, I did not like the wording of the SIMS. Sometimes I felt like performing "extra actions" to do the "best practice" versus specifically what the question asked. So, I just did what the question asked and tried not to do what my experience normally tells me. I think that made the difference as well.

For me, I just picked the answer that my instict told me was right on the questions I was not sure about. I marked them (about 10 of them) and then just tried to finish as quickly as I could. Then, I re-read the marked ones again and took my time and chose the best answer. I ended with about 45 minutes left on the test. Much faster this time.

I hope this helps MCPWAN. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

-Rikku
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass Rikku. icon_cool.gif

Oh, and your avatar is making me dizzy. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
    Thanks sprkymrk and the rest of the posters for the support.

It is much appreciated.

-Rikku