HNC or A+, Network + ?

rvincent24rvincent24 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello
After applying for some jobs I have discovered a lot of HR people seem to prefer a Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Computing to A+, Network +.
I have always thought these 2 Comptia certs are better than a HNC and I would be interested to hear your views on this. Is there a site that you can compare these qualifications?
Thanks for any feedback. icon_lol.gif

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    What is it? All I found is you can obtain it in Sports Turf.. icon_lol.gif
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Look here.

http://www.barnet.ac.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Part_time_Courses.html

Guess it's not something you take an exam for. It's a certificate you get for following a college level course of study.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • rvincent24rvincent24 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes it is a certificate you get for following a college level course and is based in the Uk.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    oh, well in the US it just depends on what the employer wants. I personally have never heard of any employer stipulating a certain diploma from a certain school they wanted. They do however stipulate degrees like As/Bs or certs MCSE ect.....
  • bigstar*bigstar* Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why don't you get both?
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    It sounds like some ITT-Tech/DeVry clone that's just trying to milk more money out of you for a certificate that is probably worthless outside of a few companies who might have heard about this school/institution. I mean, if people on this board, a board full of IT professionals at that, have to ask what it is..well, I don't know that I'd put much stock in it.
  • rvincent24rvincent24 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just found out it will set me back over £1000 for the HNC and 2 years part-time to complete. No final exam just modules to complete.
    Think I will give this a miss and finish of my MCSA and CCNA.
    Thanks
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    rvincent24 wrote:
    Just found out it will set me back over £1000 for the HNC and 2 years part-time to complete. No final exam just modules to complete.
    Think I will give this a miss and finish of my MCSA and CCNA.
    Thanks

I think you made a wise decision, especially if there's no "final exam." It sounds like a glorified diploma mill, unfortunately.