CiscoPress Information

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
So the executive editor of ciscopress emailed me today to let me know about the new lab guides for the latest CCNP tests. I thought I would share. This image is not copyrighted in any way. Some may already know but just in case here it is. They changed the lab companion guides to Lab portfolio.
ccnpcourses.jpg
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!

Comments

• mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    The exam will be getting more easier because the lab portfolios have every lab covered on the exams( from what I have heard) plus the commands on how to get them done. If you study hard the CCNP will not be hard at all
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    If you study hard the CCNP will not be hard at all

That can be said for most things
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right on! Awesome man! I am looking forward to that Lab Companion for the BSCI!
    According to amazon the release dates for the Lab Portfolios are as follows

BSCI + BCMSN : December 7th, 2007

ISCW : February 15th, 2008

ONT : March 7th, 2008
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll be taking the BSCI well before the new lab guides are out. Too bad :/

I'll definitely snag the BCMSN guides though! Thanks for the great post :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • larkspurlarkspur Member Posts: 235
    Is there anyway to know what changes were made between the two lab guides?

Will the old one suffice or is holding out for the release date the way to go?

I was hopign to have at least bsci done by the end of this year....
    just trying to keep it all in perspective!
  • Deadmaster200Deadmaster200 Member Posts: 145
    Dude,

I am sure there are some changes, probably the multicasting and IPV6 tunnels mostly.

But the bulk of the BSCI and CCNP and general core networking skills don't change that much that quickly, so I definitely think it is worth doing the lab guides for the old test rather than not doing anything because the new one isn't out yet.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    can someone explain to me what these Lab Portfolios are all about?

cheers
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    they are lab guides and scenarios with the topologies laid out. They give you full explanantions of the configurations. They should cover all the topics and technologies that will come up on the exam. I have been told that they are vital for people who don't have a work environment to learn this stuff on.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    they are lab guides and scenarios with the topologies laid out. They give you full explanantions of the configurations. They should cover all the topics and technologies that will come up on the exam. I have been told that they are vital for people who don't have a work environment to learn this stuff on.

They're also great for labbing up yourself if you have access to a lab or Dynamips.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bump...Check these isbn's for the latest materials. Minus the authorized self study guide becuase it isn;t listed here.
    According to Amazon the dates have been pushed back.

BSCI - December 21, 2007

BCMSN - January 4, 2008

ONT - March 7, 2008

ISCW - March 28, 2008
    Looks like they were pushed back again.

BSCI - December 31, 2007

BCMSN - January 7, 2008

ONT - March 17, 2008

ISCW - April 7, 2008
  • kpjunglekpjungle Member Posts: 426
    Any news on these books? and is this a "total" reading solution for CCNP?

Trying to figure out what books/material in general that is needed for the best self study solution for CCNP. Read all the stickie's and was wondering what people are using now a days.

Thanks
    Studying for CCNP (All done)
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    These books are already out... but by no means should they be depended on as your only source of study for the CCNP exams.

They are a great complement to the self-study guides and exam cert guides from Cisco Press....

Personally I have used the BCMSN Self-Study guide and Lap portfolio in unison and it worked a treat.... Doing the same for BSCI (while throwing in the exam cert guide somewhere along the line as well)......

:D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
    A.P.A wrote:
    These books are already out... but by no means should they be depended on as your only source of study for the CCNP exams.

They are a great complement to the self-study guides and exam cert guides from Cisco Press....

Personally I have used the BCMSN Self-Study guide and Lap portfolio in unison and it worked a treat.... Doing the same for BSCI (while throwing in the exam cert guide somewhere along the line as well)......

:D

Ah. Think I read it wrong to begin with.
    So for each of the four exams, theres a Self study guide, an exam guide, and a lab portfolio (as well as a command guide)? What is the difference between the self study guide and the exam guide?

Thanks in advance!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exam Certification guide assumes more of a fundamental understanding of the technologies and focuses on preparing you for the exam. The self-study has more description and detail. You should use the self-study guide first unless you are already familiar or have experience with the topics.
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Exam Certification guide assumes more of a fundamental understanding of the technologies and focuses on preparing you for the exam. The self-study has more description and detail. You should use the self-study guide first unless you are already familiar or have experience with the topics.

Okay, thanks for the help all, appreciate it greatly!