Options

Why only a dozen CCVP openings?

FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
Good morning, buddies!

I did some quick research this early morning on Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com and Computerjobs.com. I searched CCVP in Chicago, 100 miles but only found 10 or so positions. About same thing to NY and LA.

This is quite different from what I learned via talking with local CCIE engineers or Golden Partners. They all said the voice market is hot, hot, hot.... Hey, but where are the openings? Recruiters hide them as secrets?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

Comments

• Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    same deal with this side of the world, 0 results for melbourne in the last 30 days :/

But i have seen a lot of jobs advertised with must have VOIP or IP Tel
  • Options
    Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perth, Western Australia has several on seek.com. I haven't completed my CCNA but you've still got to know what's out there.

Something will come up soon Flyingput keep your eyes peeled.
    - Pete
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Hmm. Interesting.....
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Flyingput wrote:
    Good morning, buddies!

I did some quick research this early morning on Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com and Computerjobs.com. I searched CCVP in Chicago, 100 miles but only found 10 or so positions. About same thing to NY and LA.

This is quite different from what I learned via talking with local CCIE engineers or Golden Partners. They all said the voice market is hot, hot, hot.... Hey, but where are the openings? Recruiters hide them as secrets?

icon_rolleyes.gificon_eek.gif

Flyingput,

The only organizational type that would have a proper understanding of what the CCVP certificate is and means is a Cisco Partner. Those Cisco Partners that are either seeking to hold the Advanced Unified Communications specialization or those who hold the Advanced Unified Communications specialization are the organizations who should know the value of the CCVP. Otherwise, non-Cisco Partner organizations may not have a clue of the difference between the CCVP, CCNA, CCIE, and/or COKE.

Ask the CCIE engineers if they're associated with either a Cisco Silver Partner or a Cisco Gold Partner. If they're with a Cisco Gold Partner, ask if the Cisco Gold Partner needs to earn the Advanced Unified Communications specialization to upgrade to the current Cisco Partner program. If so, there's a possible opening. If not, it's a brick wall because Cisco Gold Partners in the current Cisco Partner program must hold all four specializations of: 1) Advanced Routing & Switching 2) Advanced Security 3) Advanced Unified Communications and 4) Advanced Wireless LANs. If the CCIE works for a Cisco Silver Partner, also ask if they hold only the Express Unified Communications specialization and wish to upgrade to the Advanced Unified Communications specialization, then you might have a shot at the Field Engineer role witih that specialization. Then again, even if the Cisco Partner already holds the Advanced Unified Communications specialization, if their workload is so heavy that they need more knowledgeable people to go out and implement the equipment, they might take you in that way.

Use the following "Partner Locator" tool to find the Cisco Partners near you. Good luck and may the subnet be with you. :)

Link:
    1. Cisco Partner Locator - http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openAdvanceSearch.do
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Like tech-airman stated the CCVP is not a very known certification outside of Cisco circles. I work in the VoIP industry and not many people know anything about Cisco certifications other than the CCNA. You will hear a lot more about the CCVP from the networking guys moving into VoIP rather than voice (legacy) guys moving into VoIP. The people already working with voice and moving into VoIP usually hate Callmanager in my experience and would rather integrate SIP with Avaya or other leading PBX vendors that they have already worked with for years. If you plan on moving into voice I'd look into some PBX learning as well.

In other words, search for VoIP with Cisco, not CCVP, and you should get a lot more results back.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely use the Cisco Business Partner Locater and check out the Partners' websites for job postings. I've always mentioned that Business Partners are a good place to start when looking for a Cisco job -- they need Certified people and you can get LOTS of experience on LOTS of different technologies. And a lot of smart certified people realize that -- so Business Partners usually don't have to advertise.

Plus Business Partners are installing lots of "solutions" for customers -- so the jobs are with the Business Partner and not the end user.

Since there's lots of hits in Chicago -- and lots of BIG PARTNERS that may only have small offices for servicing some of their National (and Global) customers -- do multiple searches. I think you can get a different "sample" of business partners even with the same search -- usually the same big ones, but different smaller partners.

Also check out the Recruiters. Large companies may have to go through their "preferred vendor" staffing company first. Our preferred vendors had lots of CCVPs, but none of them seemed to be really qualified. We wasted a lot of time interviewing CCVPs who couldn't place a call even if we gave them a pay phone and a pocket full of change. icon_evil.gif

Also post your resume on the job boards. We now have HR cruising the Internet Job Boards looking for CCVPs (and other search terms) -- and now we also want verifiable experience. But we're now hitting the problem of the experience being in "creative writing" and not actually Cisco Voice. icon_confused.gif

If a Business Partner doesn't have qualified job candidates banging down their door, they may also search to find someone with specific certifications to fill specific roles (as tech-airman explained).

Another option -- use your CCNA/CCNP to get a job with a company that is running IP Telephony or plans too in the near future. Make sure you mention that you're currently working on the CCVP in your cover letter and would be interested in working with Voice in the future. Since we haven't been able to meet our demand for GOOD CCVPs, we've slowed our VoIP deployment and we're now training our existing CCNAs and CCNPs to fill the gaps.

The one direct hire ad our Voice Group had HR place attracted so many people who dumped their certifications and recruiters trying to place their stock of people who dumped their CCVPs that they will probably not try that again for at least several years (or until everyone involved has retired). I actually threatened to give my 30 days notice (as a contractor) if they made me talk to any more supposed CCVP job candidates.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great great thread!!

I feel lucky to find this website and start to learn Cisco Voice systems from "building the lab"! Oh my God, I can't pound enough for the importance of it. Nothing counts except for hands-on experience during technical interviews.

I will start to harass Cisco partners tomorrow, haha. I know many guys here are already there. If you happen to hear my harassment, please be nice.... icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif