1st step towards CCNP

bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
Passed BCMSN today and got my foot in the journey to CCNP!

I'm debating whether to go for ONT or ISCW next. I don't get much experience with Dynamic routing and I get much more exposure to PIX, ASA and non-Cisco VoIP.

I'll think I'll save BSCI for last because I am reading Routing TCP/IP Vol1 on the side to keep up my skills with routing.

Any suggestions? ONT or ISCW?
Jack of all trades, master of none

Comments

• redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I'm doing ONT now as my first exam and really enjoying it. I'm already itching to deploy QoS everywhere!

I'm trying to decide what to do after ONT. I also get more experience dealing with ASA's than I do intense routing and switching. I guess we're backwards from the usual candidates who tackle them first, but hey, whatever works. :)

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations,

I'd go with the ISCW with your experience. It may be easier to know off the checklist. Then go for the other two
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My suggestion is to complete the BSCI prior to taking the ONT and ISCW. It is for most people the most difficult exam and many of the subjects are used throughout the others. If you're dead-set on taking either the ONT or the ISCW first I would take the ISCW. The ONT has a lot of material covered on the ISCW.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Congratz on the BCMSN pass!!! Your in the same boat as me....

I've got alot of exposure to PIX's,ASA's, QoS at work but I still have decided to go for the BSCI next as it is the natural progression and also for the reasons Paul gave about how the remaining exams inter-link with subjects covered on both the BSCI and BCMSN...

Either way good luck with whatever path you decide to take..... Here's to both being CCNP's in the near future :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Good Luck with your next exam -- what ever it is! icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!

I agree with Paul, the BSCI and BCMSN lay a good foundation to build on for the rest of the exams. Good luck on what ever route you take!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally I like to study one thing at a time, so If you are reading TCP/IP Volume 1 then BSCI should give you less headaches.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches