network +

meika004meika004 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Im currently going to school to pursue my associates degree in computer science i wil be graduating the summer of next year and next week i will be taking the test to get my network + certification. im trying to get my foot in the it door before i graduate to get some eperience. what do you suggest i do? will i be able to get a decent job once i get certifiec?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm sorry, but probably not. At least not based on the fact that you passed the Network+ exam. CompTIA exam seldomly lead to a job directly. They cover the basics and provide you with a solid basis to build on, for future certs/studies.
  • meika004meika004 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well what can i do to al least get my foot in the door to the IT industry?
  • jcourtenayjcourtenay Inactive Imported Users Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd get myself some experience and some microsoft certifications.

Goto http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp for more details.

John Courtenay
    MCP(210,215,216), working on 217
    John Courtenay
    MCP,MCSA,MCSE(Windows 2000)(210,215,216,217,218,219,220)
    Aiming for MCSE 2003 by end of 2006
    http://www.jc-hosting.co.uk/refer.php?id=techexams
  • imeldesignimeldesign Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your best bet starting out is A+/ Network+ combo for starters. Without experience you probably won't get a job with a larger company. I would suggest looking at small companies, churches and school systems... If you have other skills that will make you twice as attractive to small companies it can get your foot in the door.

I did it backwards in that I was willing to learn to Network Admin side but was hired by a large church because I was a web designer. They figured they were getting four employees for the price of one. (I also can edit video). In the two years I worked for that church I was too busy to get certs but the learning was invaluable. I was very honest when a problem came up network-wise that was out of my scope. I also added PBX phone systems to my experience when the new phone system went in.

Now I do Network Admin, Troubleshoot and repair, PBX, and web design for an even larger church...who wanted me again for web design and PBX. To them Network Admin was a bonus.

I now have the time to go back and add certs. I have A+/Network+ and I am currently working on MCSE.

I know this is a bleak time (depending on where you live) for IT jobs. But the combo jobs are out there.
    To imeldesign

i have A+ training. i just didnt take the test yet for my certificaion. so you wuold suggest i take that test also?
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    meika004 wrote:
    Im currently going to school to pursue my associates degree in computer science i wil be graduating the summer of next year and next week i will be taking the test to get my network + certification. im trying to get my foot in the it door before i graduate to get some eperience. what do you suggest i do? will i be able to get a decent job once i get certifiec?

If you are in school now, get an internship or two.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    is the A+ certification really necessary?
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    A+??? Yes If you do not have a job or experience..I asked the same question awhile back. I don't need it but I'm going to get it b/c with my Net+ its an elective for my MCSA..
    thanks garv 221
    To Garv:

can u give me some study tips for the n+ exam im taking it this weekend?
    Sure..Download the free PDF for net+ from this site, print it off and take notes of the whole PDF. Then know your basic ports listed on this site. Everything you need to know to pass the Net+ is in the PDF.
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO the A+ is a waste of time. If you cannot build a computer from parts, then learn how to - but dont spend the $ on the certification. Buy the A+ book if you have to, but again, dont waste $ on the cert.

The Network+ has a good amount of knowledge for some entry level jobs. Get the book and read the stuff you dont know. As for taking the cert, IMO its a waste of $ but not as big as A+. This would be a judgement call and possibly helpful as you are new to the workforce.

Your absolute best bet is get a job now. Get your foot in the door doing technical support for a company. I hope your not expecting that once you get your degree, that you can find a great network job for 40k a year? Even with a CS degree, your still entry level and going to have to work your way up - so work on the experience ASAP.

Once you get the tech support/similar type job then continue your training - pursue a MCSA and make a goal for 2 years to start looking for a higher job such as working on a team network admin/server admin type role. Hopefully the company you get the tech support job has advancement as thats your easiest/best bet.
    Sab4you:

thanks for the advice. i relly appreciate it
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sab is correct get the experience as fast as possible on average i beat out those with certs for jobs due to working experience not unless the certification is all they care about and not experience.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
    what kind of advice can you give a single mother trying to brake into the it world of working. where do i start as far as working in the it industry. to gain some working experience in the IT field. right now i am a receptionist for a mortgage company but i really want to brake in to the IT world.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    @meika004: since you are now a receptionist, you might want to start with a call-desk job. It's often easier to find, and you will learn a lot.

More important is: what do you want to do? There are so many options in the IT field. To put it simple: do you like to break and repair computers (hardware and/or software support), or do you rather make a computer do things (developer/coder), do you like to work with people, sell stuff, or care about what goes on in a network.

I understand sab4you's opinion about A+, I felt the same for a long time. (Actually, I was at the test center this very day, and the admin there told me they get mostly 'kids' for CompTIA exams...). And I agree people should learn those topics by doing, not just reading about it. Nevertheless, A+ provides a good guideline for what to study, and in many cases provides the theory which is truely essential, especially on the long run. Besides, so many experienced people take A+ just because a lot of other people who go for that same job do have A+.

I.o.w. I think A+ is a good study to start with.

There are three main things you need for many of the best jobs:
    1. Experience
    2. Certifications
    3. A degree

Two of them is good, three of them is great. If you have only one, it's best to have experience. In many cases it doesn't even matter if the experience is relevant to the 'next' job, as long as it is in the IT field. You got to start somewhere, and if you have 'only' 2 and 3, it's usually at the bottom. icon_wink.gif
    well lets see webmaster. yes i do like making computers do things and i love networking. im actually taking the test tomorrow. Also this semester i will be starting my scientific programming class at school. i love working with people but i dont do the selling thing. so what are some place i can start at?
  • bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    sab4you wrote:
    IMO the A+ is a waste of time. If you cannot build a computer from parts, then learn how to - but dont spend the $ on the certification. Buy the A+ book if you have to, but again, dont waste $ on the cert.

I disagree completely. *Many* computer/IT jobs require A+ certification, even for network-type jobs. It is a very good general certification to have because you can list it on your resume for virtually any computer-related job.
    Your absolute best bet is get a job now. Get your foot in the door doing technical support for a company. I hope your not expecting that once you get your degree, that you can find a great network job for 40k a year? Even with a CS degree, your still entry level and going to have to work your way up - so work on the experience ASAP.

This is horrible advice. Entry-level jobs in the IT industry are usually tech support/help desk/bench technician positions. At a minimum, these are going to require some type of certification...usually something basic like A+ or Net+.
    Once you get the tech support/similar type job then continue your training - pursue a MCSA and make a goal for 2 years to start looking for a higher job such as working on a team network admin/server admin type role.

Your advice just keeps getting worse and worse. You actually are telling somebody to "pursue their MCSA", but not their A+ or Net+?? Why??? A+ and Net+ counts as an elective for the MCSA...plus it's two more certifications you can list on your resume. You are not going to get a tech support job without any experience and without any certifications. Get real.
    You are not going to get a tech support job without any experience and without any certifications. Get real.

I dissagree..You can do anything you want...People want to hire people they like and feel will fit in..The key is to get an interview...Once you get into an interview get on the same page as the interviewer....Just do what you can and don't give up. :D
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    From Webmaster:
    There are three main things you need for many of the best jobs:
    1. Experience
    2. Certifications
    3. A degree

Two of them is good, three of them is great. If you have only one, it's best to have experience. In many cases it doesn't even matter if the experience is relevant to the 'next' job, as long as it is in the IT field. You got to start somewhere, and if you have 'only' 2 and 3, it's usually at the bottom.

I agree.

Most advertised positions are looking for someone with experience in several different areas. If I were a person in your position and lived near a major university, I would start pursuing opportunities for experience in the IT department there. You also may find opportunities in the IT department of hospitals.

Don't underestimate the value of A+ and also Network+. I got my first IT
    job which didn't require any certs, but because I had the 2 certificates I got more money per hour. It was a short-time job, but it got my experience started. Now I have a steady job--part-time, but I've already doubled my original scheduled hours and haven't even been there 6 months yet. If you can get started, and if you like IT, you can get in. Just don't get discouraged.

Also consider certification in wireless networking and, since you're getting some programing time, look into some security certification. Wireless and security are not going to go away.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • KatanaSamKatanaSam Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree that you should not underestimate the value of some certifications, especially when they are held in addition to some education and/or experience.

Since many people are getting the A+ cert in particular just ask yourself how comfortable you feel submitting your resume when you may be the only person without it? I realize that may be an unlikely scenario but my point is that if your resume is going to stand out it is better it stand out because of what you have than standing out because of what you don't have.

In my area the closest testing center is a 400 kilometer round trip away. This significantly reduces the chances that IT people living in my area are going to get the A+ or Network+ certification. So for me having the A+ and (soon) Network+ is a big deal. If nothing else it tells local employers that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and that I am serious about my career development.

Besides that I know many IT people who have said things like 'I could have my A+ but [insert lame excuse here]' and I definately don't want to be part of that crowd. Don't people realize that whenever they say something like that everyone else just thinks 'yeah... sure you could... that's why you haven't done it yet...'

I've been building and repairing PCs for over 10 years. The fact is you could teach a monkey to assemble a computer. And although troubleshooting computer problems is beyond a monkey's ability it isn't rocket science either. While the A+ cert doesnt guarantee you're an Eistein with computers at least it does represent you as having a broad basic knowledge/understanding of computer hardware and OS technology. And considering some of the uncertified computer techs I've known, that ain't a bad thing.
    thanks guys for the advice. i really appreciate it. well since i will be taking my network+ next week . mayabe i should reveiw and take my A+ as well. then move on to my MSCA.
    bighusker wrote:
    You are not going to get a tech support job without any experience and without any certifications. Get real.

You must think of any entry level support job as higher on the food chain than I do.

Anybody with the basics of computers can get these types of jobs...Heck, call tech support for any of your computer products and you are very likely to get an unskilled tech that can only help you with things that match exactly what his handbook tells him.

Anybody can get these types of jobs with or without an A+ as it shows such a low level of skills. If a job is asking for an A+, anybody can still get the job with a resume, showing up and some simple questions can determine if they have the skill level or not.

As for a network+ I agree that it contains useful knowledge, but as a certification as a whole I think its questionable. If you plan to use it towards an MCSA/E then I think its a good choice - but to simply get a Network+ in the goal of opening doors, its not gonna happen or its gonna be slight. If your actively seeking its not going to hurt - but I wouldnt encourage people to expect a vast change in employeer response from an A+ or Network+ on yee ole resume.

But I also live in one of the more technical states in the USA, where an A+ is nothing. If you live in a state with less technically inclined people, then perhaps the A+ is a strong skill to have.

Dont get me wrong, if you know very little/nothing about computers than I advise you learn the A+ material. But if this is the case I question if this person should be pursuing computers if they dont already have this type of knowledge from using computers. IMO people that get an A+ show me they didnt have the basics to understanding computers and are more 'forcing' or have to study this knowledge then they have already picked it up by simply using computers.

True, on the other hand they may want to be proving their knowledge or increasing their worth on a resume, but IMO this still doesnt show anything good as that it shows they spent their time pursing the lowest level of proof to skills, that they should have already. If they already knew this material they could have spent their time much wiser getting a certification that shows more than the bottom of the barrel, basic level of knowledge certification.

Just IMO and I am sure different regions come into play. If you disagree then more power to you getting an A+. Its less competition for me.
    bighusker wrote:
    I disagree completely. *Many* computer/IT jobs require A+ certification, even for network-type jobs. It is a very good general certification to have because you can list it on your resume for virtually any computer-related job.

I agree with you here. Where I work we recently hired a new network administrator who has his MCSE and half a decade of experience. Yet when he was searching for employment he was passed over a number of times by unionized outfits that specifically required A+, which he didn't have.
    This is horrible advice. Entry-level jobs in the IT industry are usually tech support/help desk/bench technician positions. At a minimum, these are going to require some type of certification...usually something basic like A+ or Net+...
    ...You are not going to get a tech support job without any experience and without any certifications. Get real.

I disagree with this big time. I worked for a national ISP doing tech support. In our particular office I was the only tech with any education and none of us had a single certification. But it is true that more and more organizations are looking for certifications.

And I do agree that the A+ is well worth getting.
    sab4you wrote:
    But I also live in one of the more technical states in the USA, where an A+ is nothing. If you live in a state with less technically inclined people, then perhaps the A+ is a strong skill to have.

But don't forget that if you live in an area where everyone and his dog has A+ it's all the more reason to have it yourself.
    garv221 wrote:

I dissagree..You can do anything you want...People want to hire people they like and feel will fit in..The key is to get an interview...Once you get into an interview get on the same page as the interviewer....Just do what you can and don't give up. :D

That's the exception and not the norm in the IT industry...or almost any industry for that matter.
    You must think of any entry level support job as higher on the food chain than I do.

Anybody with the basics of computers can get these types of jobs...Heck, call tech support for any of your computer products and you are very likely to get an unskilled tech that can only help you with things that match exactly what his handbook tells him.

This is not true. Look at listings for tech jobs and most of them require an MCSE and 5 years of experience for a lowly help desk job. I wasn't speaking of "level 1 tech support" drones that read off some flow chart as much as helpdesk people at an IT department.
    If a job is asking for an A+, anybody can still get the job with a resume, showing up and some simple questions can determine if they have the skill level or not.

Many places look strongly upon A+ (or any certification, no matter how lowly it may be) when they're looking through a huge pile of resumes. While A+ alone probably isn't going to get you a job, it might prevent your resume from being immediately being discarded by the hiring manager.
    As for a network+ I agree that it contains useful knowledge, but as a certification as a whole I think its questionable. If you plan to use it towards an MCSA/E then I think its a good choice - but to simply get a Network+ in the goal of opening doors, its not gonna happen or its gonna be slight. If your actively seeking its not going to hurt - but I wouldnt encourage people to expect a vast change in employeer response from an A+ or Network+ on yee ole resume.

The Network+ is a joke...but an A+/Net+ combo with *any* experience will help to get your foot in the door.

It's not a "strong skill" or prestigious certification in any state...so save the sappy elitism bullshit for some other thread. You're not impressing anyone. The point, which flies completely over your inflated head, is that it's an entry-level certification that is meant to get a person's foot in the door.
    IMO people that get an A+ show me they didnt have the basics to understanding computers and are more 'forcing' or have to study this knowledge then they have already picked it up by simply using computers.

That's a pretty idiotic extrapolation that says more about yourself than anything else. I have an A+ certification because I *knew* the material and took the test. I wasn't trying to impress you, or anyone else...I wanted something to get my foot in the door...which I did.
    True, on the other hand they may want to be proving their knowledge or increasing their worth on a resume, but IMO this still doesnt show anything good as that it shows they spent their time pursing the lowest level of proof to skills, that they should have already. If they already knew this material they could have spent their time much wiser getting a certification that shows more than the bottom of the barrel, basic level of knowledge certification.

This is another example of your mind-numbing stupidity. Many people, including ones who have probably forgotten more about computers than you will ever know, started out with A+ or Net+ or something similar. What is wrong with going for A+ and Net+ if somebody wants to go for MCSE later on? What is wrong with going for A+ and Net+ if my ultimate goal is a computer science and business degrees, which are more valuable than any certification out there?

Bottom line...get over yourself
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    A+ was a requirement for my current position as a field service tech. I haven't used a lot of the skills I learned in this particular field, but it's more about common knowledge.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    bighusker wrote:
    ...so save the sappy elitism bullshit for some other thread. You're not impressing anyone.

Dude you have been a jerk from the start. Get a life. I came here to help and offer an opinion, while you have been a prick from response #1.

If you disagree thats fine and great - offer your opinion here but keep the jerk attitude to yourself.

No matter what you or I think, its up to the thread poster with their question to decided what is applicable for them. We both offer our viewpoints and if he/she agrees with it then they will follow. Its just an opinion and you dont need to be a prick and get all personal.

Your need to rely on personal attacks to respond to points I make shows how very unprofessional you are. I am sure your future in the industry will reflect your own unprofessionalism, while you sit back and wonder and get angry for your own faults.

I already have a very solid place in the IT industry working with great equipment. Nobody around me needed an A+ and we all got our foot in the door just fine. Maybe that makes us elite in your opinion - in mine, anybody can do it, it just takes understanding of computers not having to study and prove A+ level skills. Each is own - if you need to prove the knowledge for the A+ level to get a job, thats how it is for you and I even gave the benifit of the doubt thats how it maybe in certain regions. I stand by my opinion that an A+ is a waste and your time/$$ should be spent elsewhere.

You enjoy your A+, your foot in the door and your crappy attitude will not take you very much farther. Maybe thats how I got my "elitism" by having a good attitude at interviews and getting the job as opposed to being critical and having to respond in personal attacks to express my opinion.
    sab4you wrote:
    ... it just takes understanding of computers not having to study and prove A+ level skills. Each is own - if you need to prove the knowledge for the A+ level to get a job, thats how it is for you and I even gave the benifit of the doubt thats how it maybe in certain regions. I stand by my opinion that an A+ is a waste and your time/$$ should be spent elsewhere.

The A+ exam covers much more information, and tests a persons knowledge and understanding to a much greater degree, than you would likely ever need for your work. For instance... when was the last time you configured a Win9x machine to boot into the command line only? Do you even know how to do that? Sure it may be something you would never need to know to do your job. But it doesn't change the fact that many A+ certified people do know things that you will never know. Why? Because they didn't consider the time they put into studying for the exam a waste as you do.

As someone who actually has taken the A+ exam, and has some experience working in a shop repairing computers, I can say that most computer technicians who went into the exam without studying would be shocked at how much they don't know.

Which leads me to my next question... if you have such disregard for certifications why are you hovering around a forum for certifications?