Recommended Books for 293 please?

fredcomputerfredcomputer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
My name is Fred from Chicago. I passed my 291 exam today and want to start studying for my 293 exam next with out wasting any time. Peers that have passed 293, what good books would you recommend that I use for this purpose?

Thanks and Have A Nice Day!

Fred
Mission Impossible: MCSE 2003

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely Syngress. Congrats and good luck on 70-293.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • fredcomputerfredcomputer Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    Definitely Syngress. Congrats and good luck on 70-293.

Thanks Royal!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with royal on Syngress. Isn't this the one exam where the MS Press book falls very short?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I agree with royal on Syngress. Isn't this the one exam where the MS Press book falls very short?

i believe so. Im reading it right now. if you have both, you should be fine. my gameplan was to read MS press entirely, and use syngress to cover all the 'broad' areas the MS press book had (ie PKI)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    +1 for Syngress. It's better and cheaper ($12 digital download) than the MS Press book

For certificates, take the money you saved by buying the Syngress book and pick up a copy of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 PKI and Certificate Security. This will teach you all you need to know about certificates both for the exam and for production environments.
  • HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looking at the Syngress offerings for 70-293 on the Amazon and Chapters sites, I only see versions from year 2003. Are there any newer ones? I'm just concerned about newer stuff that might not be covered. On the Syngress site itself they have the books but don't mention the publishing date, which makes me suspicious.
    If not Syngress, what other recommendations? Currently I only have the MS Press first edition core set of books.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Claymoore wrote:
    +1 for Syngress. It's better and cheaper ($12 digital download) than the MS Press book

For certificates, take the money you saved by buying the Syngress book and pick up a copy of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 PKI and Certificate Security. This will teach you all you need to know about certificates both for the exam and for production environments.

you know, that seems like a great book for 293. I wonder why they dont include it with the 293 kit/book or integrate it some how.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Handyman, you realize you're studying for the 2003 MCSE, right? ;)

That looks like a great book. I'm not seeing it on Safari though icon_sad.gif

I might have to pick that up. Even after going through the 293, 298, and 299 books, I still feel a bit shaky on certificates.
    HandyMan you are right it seems the latest published book was in 2003 for Syngress 293.
    I actually read the advice from you guys and placed the order. to my suprise it sadi $6.95 for the BOOK
    http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=2554
    and $14.95 for the E-book.... it sounds to good to be true doesn't?

anyway thanks everyone for their advice.

Fred
  • HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It may only cost $6.95 for the hard book, but you will pay nearly three times that amount for the shipping cost. Not quite so attractive then.
    I ordered and downloaded the e-book anyway. It's a straight-forward pdf file with no protection as far as I can tell, ie: you can print pages from it (for your own use of course).
    I will combine that with my MS Press book (first edition) for 70-293 and set up a virtual environment with VirtualPC and I also have the MS Press book "Windows Server 2003 PKI and Certificate Security". I hope that will cover it all, unless anyone thinks there might be a gap I have missed?
    HandyMan wrote:
    It may only cost $6.95 for the hard book, but you will pay nearly three times that amount for the shipping cost. Not quite so attractive then.

HI actually its about $11 dollars TOTAL which is not bad at all. IN fact syngress seems to be having a %70 on all books. Im actually thinking of going back for future possible books i may need..........
  • natestreetnatestreet Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fred,
    I went ahead and ordered the hard copy of the book for 6.95, s+h was around 4.92 to take it to $11. Once I placed the order it told me that I could download a digital copy of the book which I just did. It is a great deal. hopefully this information isn't too dated.

Nate