MCSA vs CCNA

I'm currently enrolled in the MCSA program at a school. I passed A+ and now I'm taking Network+. Should I finish out the MCSA program or just switch to CCNA? Which gets paid more? What's better to chase, Cisco or Microsoft? icon_evil.gif

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its all about what you want to do with your career. If you want to be a Microsoft admin then go on with the MCSA and you can do the CCNA later. The CCNA is always a great certification to have regardless of your specialization in IT, but if you plan on getting a help desk job (if you are not already employed) and working up to a system admin role I would drive on with the Microsoft certifications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    well what kind of job does the ccna certified person do? im new to IT and dont have a job yet.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    As a CCNA, you'll be working with routing and switching equipment. As an MCSA, you'll be working with Windows servers and desktops. Depending on which end of the spectrum you want to work on - networking or systems administration - that's the path you choose. A good idea is to get some experience with both. After you're done with MCSA/MCSE, go for CCNA, or vice-versa.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, look at the certification....

Cisco Certified Network Associate

Microsoft Certified System Administrator

CCNA is geared towards Cisco gear and the MCSA is geared towards Microsoft gear. I'm guessing you know the difference? If not, Cisco = networks and Microsoft = systems. That is a broad discription, but you get the jist right?

Like I said the CCNA is great for anyone in IT as it covers fundamental concepts of networking. Also Cisco gear is found in almost every enterprise enviroment.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember, certification will not get you a job. It will help you to do a job. The time of certification have changed, it is time for experience and real skill.

Certification definitely help, but do not think you get a MCSA or CCNA will get you something.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hustlin_moe20, your avatar is going to keep me up at night. icon_eek.gif

You would benefit an employer by holding both certifications as it would provide you with foundation level knowledge in both server infrastructure and networking. As for which pays more, since they are both essential junior level I would have to say the pay would be pretty close - it all depends on what the employer is looking for.

But as others have said neither (or both) is guaranteed to land you a job.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you like your MCSA classes, stick it out. If not, don't.

Do yourself the biggest favor you can at this point - try to find some kind of IT related job/internship NOW. You'll get a feel of some of the real world aspects of working in an IT department (albeit at the bottom of the totem pole and on a part time basis probably), and you'll have verifiable experience, which will make you look better than the 10000000's of other folks fresh out of school with a pile or certs.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    While the CCNA or MCSA is great to have, experience will get you the bigger bucks. From what I find, networking is a higher paying are in IT. I have seen network engineering jobs pay in the six figure range and the highest I have seen for Windows Admins is around 80K or 90K. While I am sure some pays more, this is what I see in the Wash. DC/Baltimore area. Of course most of these all comes with around 10 to 15 yrs experience.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    blargoe wrote:
    If you like your MCSA classes, stick it out. If not, don't.
    This is good advice. I've taken both Cisco Networking and Microsoft Official Curriculum classes at a community college, and I definitely enjoyed the Cisco classes more.
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I would agree with everyone here, its a case of what interests you.

I have completed both MCSA/E and CCNA and enjoyed learning both, I have leaned more towards MS but that is mainly because of how my career has progressed but I would definitely say that my CCNA knowledge has definitely helped during my time as an MS Engineer.

Alot of the roles I have seen lately ask for both as I guess they would rather pay 1 person to look after the entire infrastructure rather than 1 for systems and 1 for networks :D
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    IT Man wrote:
    While the CCNA or MCSA is great to have, experience will get you the bigger bucks. From what I find, networking is a higher paying are in IT. I have seen network engineering jobs pay in the six figure range and the highest I have seen for Windows Admins is around 80K or 90K. While I am sure some pays more, this is what I see in the Wash. DC/Baltimore area. Of course most of these all comes with around 10 to 15 yrs experience.

That is because there are less folks working in Networking than Desktop administration.

[/b]