Failed CCENT!! Help!

VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I took the CCENT today and failed the a score of 572 (Horrible I know!! icon_redface.gif ). My only study material was Odem's ICND1. I am going to puchase CBT Nuggets Video to diversify my study material and beat that Odem book into my head until I am spitting out frames, packets, segments, bits and bytes. I was at question 50 before the exam timed out (not that those 6 questions mattered with such a horrific score!!). I did come across a sim question though that I feel I answered correctly (or incorrectly) that didn't stick. I configured a router and after the configuration did a "show run " but did not see the changes I did. Was I supposed to do a " copy run start" inorder to have gotten credit? Don't know but I am truely bummed out about this score and my performace on the test.. Do you guys think that the Odem and CBT Nuggets will due for study material? Please let me know and of course thanks!!

Not going to let that get me down I am going for the retake in 2-3 weeks.
Victorious

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Always use multiple sources while preparing for an exam. The more the better. You have gained the experience of taking the exam, (you know what to expect) and the results should have also given you a good breakdown on what you needed work on. Time management is huge part of the test.

Good luck on the retake.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • flurrballflurrball Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found that after watching CBTNuggets and reading Odom's ICND1, I took the practice tests on cisco.com and some other practice tests, and there were still things that I had missed. So I would recommend this:

- getting a hold of all the practice tests you can, take them, and keep track of what you missed
    - re-read those chapters on the questions you missed
    - repeat a few days later to see how well it is sticking

For me, some chapters had to be re-read multiple times, and some chapters instantly stuck in my head. But I think applying your knowledge to labs and practice tests will help a lot, it's not all about memorizing data.

Also, I just took the test and never did a copy run start, so I don't think it's necessary, although it is a good habit.

Good luck on your next shot!
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Also download Cisco's Packet Tracer to get some experiance working with IOS Command Line.
  • jerrydurdenjerrydurden Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also failed the CCENT with a 792. The reason that I think I failed was mainly due to nervousness.
    I was not as familiar with the simulations as I should have been. Also, I can't remember exactly, but I think that I forgot to enable some interfaces after having configured them. And, I remember one part on the exam that said the mask was /28 and immediately I was thinking of 7 bits in each octet instead of 8---in other words I was thinking that they actually had a typo on the exam with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 or /32....:) Dummy me! Again, this was mainly due to nervousness.So, I purchased Exam-Prep for CCENT and have also been using Packet Tracer to simulate network configs. And, I have been watching CBT Nuggets. Although the test is simple, it covers a lot of different topics and the time limit does serve as a constant reminder to hurry up. I have done simulations till I am blue in the face and can subnet in my head--although I am faster on paper. I will let you know how I do, as I am scheduled tomorrow at 1pm. Hopefully I will be on to ICND2 from here. I am open to any tips :) Thanks!
    Home is 127.0.0.1
  • VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can someone please send me a link to packet tracer? I can't seem to find it..thanks
    Victorious
  • jcblesterjcblester Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is where I downloaded it from tonight. It as the bottom right of the page.

http://faculty.ccri.edu/tonyrashid/ccna.htm
    Somtimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the widshield.
    Thanks jcblester
    Victorious
  • flipmadflipmad Member Posts: 184
    How good at subnetting are you? Have you ever touched a real router before? When you make changes in a router - It is wise to save them in the startup config
  • jerrydurdenjerrydurden Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay...I passed on the 2nd go 'round with a 922. I posted earlier that my first attempt was a 792 or something, when it was actually 753 icon_sad.gif But anyway I was a lot less nervous this time and actually found myself with almost 20 minutes left when I was on my next to last question.

Its funny that on the first exam I made 100 percent in a couple areas while on the second attempt I regressed in those previous areas where i did outstanding. For others that are studying for this test: I do have a few tips.

1)I found that while the Cisco CCENT/CCNA Official Exam Certication Guide was very informative, it really went way above and beyond whats needed to simply pass the exam.
    The Exam-Prep book that I mentioned earlier is more straight-forward and seemed to give me the exact information that I needed without making my head explode with information that I do not need to have mastered at this point. *Of course comprehension of networking is the ultimate goal here, not just to pass a test.

2)Learn subnetting--learn to do it in your head. For me, Jeremy Cioara explained it the best in CBT Nuggets ICND1 videos. I practiced subnetting from here:
    http://faculty.valleycollege.net/rpowell/jscript/subnet2.htm
    and
    http://www.subnettingquestions.com/default_int.asp

3) Use simulators and build networks --make them work and then break them. Do this until you can spot problems and also until you do some things that become second nature..IE//no shutdown after configuring an interface...

4)When taking the test relax and try not to make dumb mistakes like I did on my first attempt. Worst case scenario is that you fail and have to pay to take it again. Big deal, dont give up! And, take it as soon as feasible while its still on your mind. Good luck!
    Home is 127.0.0.1
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed on the 2nd go 'round
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Okay...I passed on the 2nd go 'round with a 922. I posted earlier that my first attempt was a 792 or something, when it was actually 753 icon_sad.gif But anyway I was a lot less nervous this time and actually found myself with almost 20 minutes left when I was on my next to last question.

Its funny that on the first exam I made 100 percent in a couple areas while on the second attempt I regressed in those previous areas where i did outstanding. For others that are studying for this test: I do have a few tips.

1)I found that while the Cisco CCENT/CCNA Official Exam Certication Guide was very informative, it really went way above and beyond whats needed to simply pass the exam.
    The Exam-Prep book that I mentioned earlier is more straight-forward and seemed to give me the exact information that I needed without making my head explode with information that I do not need to have mastered at this point. *Of course comprehension of networking is the ultimate goal here, not just to pass a test.

2)Learn subnetting--learn to do it in your head. For me, Jeremy Cioara explained it the best in CBT Nuggets ICND1 videos. I practiced subnetting from here:
    http://faculty.valleycollege.net/rpowell/jscript/subnet2.htm
    and
    http://www.subnettingquestions.com/default_int.asp

3) Use simulators and build networks --make them work and then break them. Do this until you can spot problems and also until you do some things that become second nature..IE//no shutdown after configuring an interface...

4)When taking the test relax and try not to make dumb mistakes like I did on my first attempt. Worst case scenario is that you fail and have to pay to take it again. Big deal, dont give up! And, take it as soon as feasible while its still on your mind. Good luck!

Hey Congrats!!!! :)
    I have rescheduled mine for June 28th. So, that CBT Nuggets Video is really worth it, huh? I am going to purchase it because Mike also recommneded it to me (I also purchased Tom Lemme 6th CCENT). Congrats again and enjoy your cert. I hope to join the family soon.
    Victorious