job opportunities with CCNA

genyagenya Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
what kind of jobs would you be qualified for or should be looking into with a CCNA certification?

Comments

• quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It has been mentioned in the forums before but there are not many (if any) jobs that require a CCNA alone. People who get the CCNA do it to make themselves more marketable. They use the CCNA certification in conjunction with other certs, such as the MCSE or other vendor certifications. CCNA is an intro exam so even if you did get a position configuring routers, I doubt you will get much router time if you are not at a CCNP level or above. A lot of people I've seen have an MCSE and a CCNA to show prospective employers that not only can you work with Microsoft OS's but also Cisco routers as well. This would be a sys admin or network admin job of some sort.

If you are going for a "network engineer" position, you might want to continue your Cisco certification and get the CCNP (and beyond!). It is also recommended that you study for other router certifications besides just Cisco specifically to broaden your expertise as a "network engineer."
  • genyagenya Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow. I feel enlightened. thanks. :D

WHat about say, smaller jobs, not as career opportunities but a position that could be worked part-time. Any possibilities in that? Reason I am asking is that I will be attending college in the fall and I am looking to find a job that can suit me as i attend college as well.

Thanks

EK
  • mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    If you are looking for part-time work or "getting your feet wet" you might want to consider the Network+ certification. Besides being considerably easier to acquire than CCNA, it provides a good foundation for a CCNA certification.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    You know, I've found that my Net+ is essentially worthless. Most employers that I've run across don't even know what it is. My A+ has gotten me alot farther
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • randalthor100randalthor100 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have seen a lot of jobs that require CCNA, A+, and Net+. The minimum being all 3 not just one or the other.

Of course help desk, computer tech generally only require A+.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I've seen jobs that say CCNA required....It shows you know enough about Cisco to be taught and usualy with that, a good resume, some experience and a good attitute you could slide into a decent paying job.
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would state most CCNA jobs are not going to be part time.

Your best bet, is if you have good Cisco experience and want to work part time is certain companies just hire IT staff and contract out to smaller companies. When these small companies have a task or need some computer stuff done, they call the IT staff company and send you in. Kinda like a plumber :D
  • sbertram87sbertram87 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    for a part time job look at ISP's helpdesks and see if you can find any thing with them and maybe get free internet to
  • smooth7905smooth7905 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a sysadmin for a large company and the only reason i got my job was i had the combo ccna and mcsa. The more the merrier and in different areas, not just networking.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just what you feel capable of... 1st - ccna,ccnp,ccie is pure data communication (majoring networking ) tracks, 2nd - mcsa/mcse is widely construct from networking to client-server application.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.