How many users do you support?

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
I was wondering what the average size of the user base that you support. I support multiple clients that can range from 6 users all the way up to 50 users depending on the client.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Somewhere between 20 & 30. The number fluctuates.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They range from 25 employees at one site with 3 servers; to 68,000+ employees across ~3,000 sites in 50 countries with thousands of servers.

As you can imagine the latter consumes most of my time. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I currently support thirteen networks as systems administrator, consisting of anywhere from ten to fifty users each. The upside of all that work is that there is a seperate helpdesk that they call, made up of a team of techs that sit on the other side of my office from me. Even without the users break/fix calls, it's still pretty hectic to maintain the servers, firewalls, switches, routers, backup systems, and miscellaneous applications for all those different environments. (Most problems end up being escalated to me, anyway.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    On the sysadmin side, 600-700 employees and a few dozen of outside reps that use one of our major production systems.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    undomiel wrote:

Is the fluctuation due to a deliberate eradication of users on your part? icon_cool.gif
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Healthcare organization: 8000+ users.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    I currently support thirteen networks as systems administrator, consisting of anywhere from ten to fifty users each. The upside of all that work is that there is a seperate helpdesk that they call, made up of a team of techs that sit on the other side of my office from me. Even without the users break/fix calls, it's still pretty hectic to maintain the servers, firewalls, switches, routers, backup systems, and miscellaneous applications for all those different environments. (Most problems end up being escalated to me, anyway.)

isnt that the job of the helpdesk ? to pass the buck ?

and the paradox is the very reason they pass the buck is why they never leave the helpdesk
    rm -rf /
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Now, now, a good "Service Desk" (Help Desk is sooo last year) can be really effective when managed properly and staffed by competent people who have proper training, access to a detailed knowledge base and comprehensive SOPs.

I'll let you know as soon as I find one. icon_jokercolor.gif
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I remember working back in Help desk and how many techs would pass that call. I kinda miss those days, the days were calls would come in and I can have it fixed it a little bit of time. Now dealing with three or four issues at once , can be stressful. But also can be nice when the users finds out that they didn't lose any data.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    10 million customers potentially if my designs are flawed on infrastructure.

When I did do 'support' some hundreds.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I work in one educational establishment full-time and support 1350 users, my department also support another educational establishment 1/2 day a week and that's for about 150 users. There's only 2 of us :)

-Ken
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    at my current place not many. When I was at the NOC. I supported every ship and submarine on the east coast. It was more WAN support than anything, but it could get hetic when everybody is broke and the phone doesn't stop ringing.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ~50 and the number fluctuates. This doesnt count all of upper managements 'IT support' (including my parents) and their families icon_mad.gif but hey it comes with the territory...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    undomiel wrote:

Is the fluctuation due to a deliberate eradication of users on your part? icon_cool.gif

I like to term it "job security." :):D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Technically 20,000 users. Realistically about 3000-5000 users.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Slowhand wrote:

Damn that sounds pretty hectic. You must feel pretty important having a team of help desk agents working below you though :P

I support about 50 users myself. 8 servers and some blackberries/iphones here and there.
  • Project2501Project2501 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IT Service desk i think we're called now. We just got renamed after an overhaul to the IT branch thanks to ITIL/ITOL?

8-10 including myself support 7k~ users with level 1 support and administration.
    - Pete
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1000+

& that includes phone(landlines)/VoIP/Blackberries/Servers/Workstations etc.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    usually only around 3-18 workstations per site and 1 server. We maintain atleast 100 of these types of sites. So basically around 300 on the low end and possibly 1000 or more on the high end.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2000+
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Our largest client has 125,000 people last time I checked. Although we don't really support 'users'
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I support 10 buildings and around 200 clients.

Sort of misleading really.... Since I do a ton of stuff

Website, cable channel, write custom programs, administer AD, maintain the network.... The list goes on and on since we are a 2 man IT department, so I get to have the opportunity to do a little bit of everything.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As a desktop support tech, I currently respond to to tickets on an hourly basis. I don't know how many users we support, but there are several large buildings spread out over a large area. I generally take a bus between them. Over a thousand machines, at the minimum. I know there are much more.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1000 users/workstations give or take
    Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    Around 650ish, both Novell and Microsoft directory environments and dual mail system groupwise and exchange running... migrating is a pain in the land of politics :)
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |