Options

Linux+ questions

mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
Hey guys,

What's the current Linux+ exam right now??

Also, I'm looking for a good fast pass book. Something similar to CCNA Sybex Fast Pass.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    XK0-002 is still the current Linux+ exam, as per the Prometric site. If you're looking for a decent book to study with, I'd recommend this one. You will, however, need to do more than just read the book to pass. This exam is very heavy on command-line tools and their various options, along with some relatively advanced topics, compared to other CompTIA exams. Get yourself a copy of a suitable Linux distro and VMware, set up a couple of test-boxes, and make sure you go through each of the case studies and labs at the end of each chapter of the book.

You'll need the practice to remember if -r, -R, -i, -I, -l, or -L is the flag you want for some command or another. Memorizing all those flags, which mean different things for different utilities, is hard enough. Remembering what's what on the day of the test is a good way to have to shell out another $250 down the road on the same exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Slowhand wrote:
    XK0-002 is still the current Linux+ exam, as per the Prometric site. If you're looking for a decent book to study with, I'd recommend this one. You will, however, need to do more than just read the book to pass. This exam is very heavy on command-line tools and their various options, along with some relatively advanced topics, compared to other CompTIA exams. Get yourself a copy of a suitable Linux distro and VMware, set up a couple of test-boxes, and make sure you go through each of the case studies and labs at the end of each chapter of the book.

You'll need the practice to remember if -r, -R, -i, -I, -l, or -L is the flag you want for some command or another. Memorizing all those flags, which mean different things for different utilities, is hard enough. Remembering what's what on the day of the test is a good way to have to shell out another $250 down the road on the same exam.

Its really hard to just book study and get good at the linux command line. There are tons of flags for each command and not all linux programs have meaningful names. For most people putting in the console time will really pay off.
  • Options
    mike3mike3 Member Posts: 136
    Thank you for the advice.