Gateway question

liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Bit of a lurker here, find the site invaluable for picking up info, tips and tricks.

Anyway, now that I have got my head around subnetting and moving into the more hands on stuff like DNS ,DHCP, RRAS and am in the process of setting up a lab environment

here it is so far..

http://img261.imageshack.us/my.php?image=networkhe1.gif

DC1 (Domain Controller)
IP- 172.16.0.2 /16
Gateway 172.16.0.1

Member Server
NIC1 IP 172.16.0.1 /16
Gateway ??

NIC2 IP 192.168.0.10 /24
Gateway 192.168.0.1 /24

Im planning on the member server as a router between the 172.16 network and the 192.168 so
NIC 2 connects to my netgear router (192.168.0.1) which in turn connects to the internet. My question is, what is the gateway for NIC1 on the member server? As the server its self will be the gateway for the 172 network, would the gateway be its ip address i.e 172.16.0.1?

Hope this makes sense :)

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You would want to route traffic to the internet so you would put the gateway of your member server to the internet router. Multiple gateways are a bad thing.

(sorry for the edits if you are paying attention... I misread the configuration)

DC1 (Domain Controller)
    IP- 172.16.0.2 /16
    Gateway 172.16.0.1

Member Server
    NIC1 IP 172.16.0.1 /16
    Gateway NONE

NIC2 IP 192.168.0.10 /24
    Gateway 192.168.0.1
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, thats brilliant!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ya, you cannot put more than 1 default gateway. If your server needs to route data to the internal network but the external network blocks that traffic, you can create a static route to the internal network to go out a different router.

So:

NIC1: Internet NIC
    NIC 2: Internal NIC

Put default gateway on NIC1
    Create a static route so traffic is destined to your internal network gets sent to a different router instead of the default gateway.

It's basically a way to create a second default gateway but for specific subnets only.

I had to do this at a client recently for ISA. We were doing LDAPs authentication and of course, the router on the external network blocked LDAP traffic. Because of that, they had another internal router that could route to all the internal VLANs. I simply create a static route so all internal subnet traffic would be routed to the internal router.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks