SSCP Certified!

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
I just received confirmation from the (ISC)2 that I am officially SSCP-certified. Here is my blog article of the experience.

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations! Off to read that blog post now. :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ditto. Congrats again!

Edit: Thoughts/comments/questions on the blog post

First of, great write-up. Thanks for the taking the time to share you experience with us.

Did you find the supplemental resources worth the time or was the official guide along with the CISSP resources sufficient? You said they weren't sufficient on their own, but it wasn't clear if they added anything substantial.

Scantron = icon_lol.gif That's old school!

I've started using that same question-answering technique, where you try to determine the answer before looking at the options, on my last few exams, and it made me much more confident of the answers I chose.

Maybe you should have taken a few MS exams in order to have acquainted yourself with insanely ambiguous question phrasing. Reading your description of that resulted in a nasty flashback icon_eek.gif

So, as an official SSCP, are you now able to endorse others? I'd like to take a crack at this some time, but I don't know any SSCPs/CISSPs.*hint* *hint*

Were you able to get a better idea of what constitutes acceptable work experience to them? I know that lot of people, myself included, would like to have a better idea of what they're looking for.

Don't wipe out too much of that knowledge tonight drunken_smilie.gif
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! The blog was great btw :D
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    JDMurray wrote:
    I just received confirmation from the (ISC)2 that I am officially SSCP-certified. Here is my blog article of the experience.

Congrats. I know you worked hard.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    Did you find the supplemental resources worth the time or was the official guide along with the CISSP resources sufficient? You said they weren't sufficient on their own, but it wasn't clear if they added anything substantial.
    The Wiley and Syngress books contain good information if you don't already know the material, but it lacks sufficient detail in many spots, but other places are quite good (I really like the risk management chapter in the Wiley book). What resources are sufficient to study for any exam always begins with how much you already know about the exam's topics.
    dynamik wrote:
    Scantron = icon_lol.gif That's old school!
    At school we used the Scantron 882 form; these are bigger.
    dynamik wrote:
    Maybe you should have taken a few MS exams in order to have acquainted yourself with insanely ambiguous question phrasing. Reading your description of that resulted in a nasty flashback icon_eek.gif
    I've taken three MS beta exams and I know what you are talking about. MS uses a lot of distractors, including entire sentences that are not relevant to determining the correct answer. The (ISC)2 is not nearly as crude in its approach.
    dynamik wrote:
    So, as an official SSCP, are you now able to endorse others? I'd like to take a crack at this some time, but I don't know any SSCPs/CISSPs.*hint* *hint*
    Yes, I can now endorse others. I'm not sure, but maybe an SSCP can endorse for any of the other (ISC)2 certs too. Keatron can check me on this fact. Maybe Keatron can also give me an endorsement for my future CISSP too.*hint* *hint*
    dynamik wrote:
    Were you able to get a better idea of what constitutes acceptable work experience to them? I know that lot of people, myself included, would like to have a better idea of what they're looking for.
    I had no interaction with the (ISC)2 during the endorsement process. I just read the information on the endorsement form, faxed them my info, and got the OK two weeks later. As I said in my article, "I have no idea what specific auditing the (ISC)2 performed to determine if I, in fact, did meet the experience requirements for the SSCP certification."
    dynamik wrote:
    Don't wipe out too much of that knowledge tonight drunken_smilie.gif
    I'm already thinking of the Russian Porter (Baltika 6) in my beer fridge for tonight. drunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought you might have had some other interaction with them along the way regarding your work experience. You seemed pretty confident that it would be acceptable. If you don't mind me asking, what did you submit to them for your experience requirement?

Thanks for the detailed responses.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Big congrats to you JD! icon_thumright.gif

Great article to read in the airport waiting for my delayed flight icon_mad.gif woohoo for emergency VoIP rollouts!!

Anyways best of luck to you on the CISSP when you begin that journey!!
    dynamik wrote:
    I thought you might have had some other interaction with them along the way regarding your work experience. You seemed pretty confident that it would be acceptable. If you don't mind me asking, what did you submit to them for your experience requirement?
    Oh, I see what you're asking. When you fill out the exam registration form online, you will indicate the number of years of professional experience you have in each SSCP CBK domain. The SSCP requires one year of direct, full-time information security professional experience in one or more of the seven domains of the SSCP CBK. I assume if you indicate less than that your application will be rejected. After that, all I did was submit my resume; I didn't need to provide any other information.
    shednik wrote:
    Anyways best of luck to you on the CISSP when you begin that journey!!
    Oh, I've already started that. I'm looking to take the CISSP exam sometime near the end of this year. Gotta keep the momentum going!
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Congratulations JD, nice achievement!

Looking to get this myself in the future so the Blog has been a great help, Thanks!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What? I didnt congratulate you yet?!?!?

1. Sorry
    2. CONGRATS!!!

ill be sure to read the blog!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Congratulations again. The blog entry was very well written and descriptive. Mentioning things such as the spam filter and other details people may overlook due to the design of the (ISC)2 site. The experience all in all seemed VERY close to my CISSP experience so they definitely seem to be consistent in that regard.

How do you feel the supervision was for the exam? I was personally impressed with it for my CISSP exam as the proctors were all very observant, strategically placed, and careful about placing people and examining ID carefully. Was this consistant with your experience as well, or did I just have good ones? I think these type of things are very important to maintaining the value of the exam which ISC2 seems to do very well.
    The three proctors in my exam were alert, attentive, and professional. One stayed seated at the front of the room and another "floated" about. When people started queuing for the bathroom sign-out sheet, one of the proctors stayed outside to supervise the flow of traffic. I was on a different time schedule than the CISSP candidates, and they were very good about letting me know how much time I had left. The only thing I could complain about was that the proctor who read the (rather long) exam instructions to the class had a rather thick accent, and he was a bit difficult to understand at times. It appeared as though he had seniority, so I can see why the other two might not have suggested that someone else perform the reading.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congratulations and all the best JDMurray

Loved your review, specially the "why sscp before cissp"

icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

(ISC)2 certificate update:

Six business days after receiving notification that I was SSCP-certified, I received my (ISC)2 SSCP certificate and (ISC)2 membership card in the mail. The certificate is beautifully embossed and quite impressive when compared to the other IT certs I've seen. (I'll see about posting a picture of it on TechExam's IT Certification Certificates thread.) The membership card is laminated and also quite nice in appearance.

The enclosed letter basically reiterated the (ISC)2 membership information already sent to me via email. There was also a card detailing how to get a free SSCP lapel pin and a discount on a mounted copy of the SSCP certificate. (I've already ordered the pin and will wear it for luck when I take the CISSP exam.)

The certificate and accompanying literature were packaged in a stiff cardboard mailer and envelope that my mail carrier dropped on my front porch and (fortunately) didn't attempt to curl into a tube to fit into my mail box.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry for the late GRATZ James, but great job anyway! icon_thumright.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jwlazarjwlazar Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass icon_thumright.gif . Sounds like you had a very pleasant exam experience. My exam was held next to Sunday service. icon_sad.gif
    jwlazar wrote:
    My exam was held next to Sunday service. icon_sad.gif
    Was it a Baptist service with a fire-and-brimstone-loving preacher? Or the kind where they blow trumpets to summon the faithful? Or just the kind with lots of choir and pipe organ. ;)
  • mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:

Congratulations!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Late to the party, but wanted to congratulate you well for a job well done
  • bcairnsbcairns Member Posts: 280
  • rohitsdeshmukhrohitsdeshmukh Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations...
    I am new to this forum
    i am thinking of taking SSCP examination but i am very confused with the material to use. can you please assist me in it.
    Rohit SD
    SCIT, Pune
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    congratulations...
    I am new to this forum
    i am thinking of taking SSCP examination but i am very confused with the material to use. can you please assist me in it.

JD's blog entry is very informative for what to study with and take a look in the forum there are plenty of threads on this as well!!

Also welcome to the fourm!!
    congratulations...
    I am new to this forum
    To start, read my blog article on the SSCP, register on www.cccure.org to get their study notes, and look at the SSCP books on Amazon.com. Plan on buying at least the offical study guide and try to buy any books from discount book sellers. I have heard that both PrepLogic and Shon Harris are releasing SSCP materials, but I have no idea when (if) that will happen.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I know I dredged up an old thread but I wanted to thank you for all information on the SSCP.
    Out of curiosity JD, how long did you study before you took the test? I am thinking about taking it in March.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Out of curiosity JD, how long did you study before you took the test? I am thinking about taking it in March.

I think the Security+ is a nice launch pad into the CISSP since there is cross over material.
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think the Security+ is a nice launch pad into the CISSP since there is cross over material.

I am hoping so. I know there is vastly more information on the SSCP than the Security+ but I want to keep the momentum going. I am enjoying what I am learning, and do not want to lose the information in a couple months after I take the Security+ test.
  • SpecialladieSpecialladie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish I would have read this before I sat, but then again I don't know if it would have just made me worry more.