Supernetting and MS administrators...

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hi all,

flat question :

- MS network administrators (intended as administrators of classic private infrastructures), have ever to do with supernetting? And You?

Wait for answers. :)
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not really. I've never worked with it other than the MCSE books. Haven't really worked with subnetting much either. The subnetting I have worked with is in larger deployments where they were doing actual subnetting /22, /23, etc... I would have to make sure that the correct network ID was entered into Active Directory Sites and Services.

For example, I was at a client with about 15,000 users globally and I re-structured their Active Directory Sites and Services to 2 new Data Centers with a removal of their old data center. Everything was subnetted. I think it was /22. That's 255.255.252.0.

So let's say you have 10.10.10.5. They may add that network to the 10.10.10.0 subnet. It's not actually on that subnet. It would be if it was /24. But since it's subnetted, it's actually on the 10.10.8.0 network. You would have had to add the 10.10.8.0 network to the Sites and Services as a subnet object and attach it to the site it belongs to.

These are the things you need to understand. Learn how to subnet/supernet, do the ANDing process, and learn how the system works and how it can affect Active Directory. In the real world, you won't have to manually calculate all these things as a Windows Administrator. Personally, I use the following site to enter subnetted addresses into to see what netmask they are a part of and ensure Active Director Sites and Services includes that subnet.

http://jodies.de/ipcalc
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
    All that is very nice. :)

Thanks very much Royal.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.