Options

Passed! MeasureUp kinda blew.....

bleScreenedbleScreened Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
I got an 871 and beleive me, most of that was based on my field experience and NOT the measureup software.

45 questions and 1-17 of them were on backups alone, that's over a third!! icon_eek.gif

I don't have a problem with backups per se, but the exam asked some fairly detailed questions about them that were never in MeasureUp or the MS press book.

Maybe since 70-290 is a very widely taken test and over the years all the other questions have fallen prey to cheating? MAybe they need to test on the minute details of shadow copy.

All measureUp tested on backups was "if you do a full on monday and diffs the rest of the week, how many tapes need to be restored....yadda yadda yadda." No MS quesiton asked about the number of tapes to restore. On top of that there were a few detailed questions on shadow copies, and i'm not talking about the obvious stuff like setting it up or restoring a file. It asked some detailed info that I haven't seen in any materials. Obviously I can't tell ya because of the NDA.

So my advice, study backups, Remote Desktop and get practice on simulations cause there were about 5 of them that focused on user account management and sharing.
Working on MCSE 2003 and B.S. in Networking

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not going to believe you passed until you update your profile ;)

Congratulations icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice score, congratulations icon_thumright.gif

So you see why people recommend against using the MeasureUp tests, they are nowhere near the difficulty of the actual test, the answer choices can be absurd and they give you a false sense of confidence for the exam.

It's good that you have this behind you, kick back and relax and try not to get too drunken_smilie.gif

What's next after this?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MobilOne wrote:
    Nice score, congratulations icon_thumright.gif

So you see why people recommend against using the MeasureUp tests, they are nowhere near the difficulty of the actual test, the answer choices can be absurd and they give you a false sense of confidence for the exam.

It's good that you have this behind you, kick back and relax and try not to get too drunken_smilie.gif

What's next after this?

Yeah i'll admit that I didn't beleive you last week cause I thought MeasureUp was good, but alas I see my error.

It DEFINITLY gave me a false sense of confidence. But as I said, some of the answers could not have been gotten even from the MS Press classroom book. I think my book needed to be about 100 more pages, lol. I am pretty certain that a large reason I passed is only because I have worked in the IT field for the last 6 years. I'm not tooting my horn, I'm just saying that passing this exam will be hard for someone with little or no experience and some testing software fails to fill in those gaps.

What's next? I am 2 exams away from MCSA, so prob 70-270 next. Is it much like the server exam? I need to go read up on sysprep stuff cause I can never remember the commands.....
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm just saying that passing this exam will be hard for someone with little or no experience and some testing software fails to fill in those gaps.

+1

Beware of the fluffy kitten 70-270. Just because it's XP doesnt mean it's going to be a walk in the park (excuse the cliche). Many people, including those with a few years experience with MS have been shocked by the 270. I cant dig up the post made by someone that had 6-7 years experience with XP took the test and failed with a miserable 590 something, the first time around.

But having passed the 290, you should be good with permissions and performance. I havent taken the test myself but I have heard that there are things about XP that we probably would never use as admins but appear on the test. Make sure you read the exam blueprint and brush up weak areas.

But take maybe a day or two to give your head a rest. Crack open a beer or two!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MobilOne wrote:

Beware of the fluffy kitten 70-270. Just because it's XP doesnt mean it's going to be a walk in the park (excuse the cliche). Many people, including those with a few years experience with MS have been shocked by the 270. I cant dig up the post made by someone that had 6-7 years experience with XP took the test and failed with a miserable 590 something, the first time around.

Oh I am by no means underestimating the 270. I wrestled with XP when getting the MCDST and it testing me on some obscure things I've never used in XP. And I have seen the same thing on test prep software for 270. Although this time I think I'll be sticking with the transcenders.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing the 290...I've been itching to pull the trigger, but I'm paranoid of failing. I've been studying off and on for over a year now!

I used the Transcender for the 70-270 as well as the MS-Press book. The Press book introduced me to the concepts and the Transcenders got me understanding the possible scenarios presented on the test. As far as when I took it (May 2005) KNOW your sysprep and RIS!

So did you use the Transcender for the 290? I have an older version and am hoping it's going to help me....