Virtual Private Networks

Ethan RobertEthan Robert Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
As per the requirements in the organization we work, we need to allow a private virtual network of all to access the files or web services within their PCs. I browsed the internet to acquire the knowledge on the same but was unable to achieve productive results.

Please suggest some software that has the ability to share over two standard protocol units. We require some easiest way to protect our company’s data. We need security at times of incidents like rootkit attacks and zero-day vulnerabilities.

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
E.Robert

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welcome, first of all. I think this is the wrong forum for a question about VPN's.

There are many different vendors who offer VPN solutions and each are different in their implementation but the technology used remains the same. I would start looking at Cisco and Juniper solutions for remote VPN access, the process is normally quiet simple:-

1. Each user has a key/tag, this provides authentication.

2. They will have some kind of VPN software to connect to the concentrator.

2. And the VPN concentrator confirms the authentication and act's as the gateway for your VPN connection once authenticated.

Also think about if you need secure web traffic as well? SSL or TLS (which is an extension of SSL 3.0) VPN's.

First and foremost, list what you need to happen (not what you need to make it happen) and then start working on your tools. You may need to speak to sales people eventually, not all of them are bad btw! Ask for product documentation, white papere etc. Have a good read and you can learn a lot from this experience.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Trim LeeTrim Lee Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Choosing the best method really depends on what kit you've got in place already and your budget as most VPN technology is pretty much along the same lines.

If you've got a "good" external firewall, then you should be able to setup PPTP or L2TP VPN tunnels directly to that from the clients. Some firewalls even come with their own software clients that you install on the client PC. Otherwise most OS's will allow you to create VPN's natively.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Pash wrote:
    Welcome, first of all. I think this is the wrong forum for a question about VPN's.
    Well, yes and no. Although they don't specifically involve Virtual Machines, VPNs (and VLANs) are a form of virtualized logical (technical) controls that can be used by VMs. And come to realize it, so are software environments like Second Life and all MMORPGs--and they could involve VMs too.

Hmmmm...

MODERATOR'S PROCLAMATION: If uses VM's or has the word "virtual" in it we can discuss it in the Virtualization Forum. icon_cheers.gif
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    Pash wrote:
    Well, yes and no. Although they don't specifically involve Virtual Machines, VPNs (and VLANs) are a form of virtualized logical (technical) controls that can be used by VMs. And come to realize it, so are software environments like Second Life and all MMORPGs--and they could involve VMs too.

Hmmmm...

MODERATOR'S PROCLAMATION: If uses VM's or has the word "virtual" in it we can discuss it in the Virtualization Forum. icon_cheers.gif

haha so be it mate!

Hope the OP let's us know of his progress. I bet he's watching those Phases with a keen eye right now!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    Repeat after me: Make it so. . . engage!

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Morgan MargaretMorgan Margaret Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Cisco has some fairly good hardware and software for setting up VPN.

Basically, it provides network access. How much you determine with security policy.

I've been working with a system that requires a USB token to get into the VPN and there have been no security breaches. I work at a company that is a fairly high profile target for this.
    "
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. windows way: any 2003 server family member has this facility, under Server Role->Remote Access/VPN server, from Configure your server wizard
    2. linux way (which I prefer): ipsec on kernel 2.6, implemented with openswan/strongswan for ex., eventually with l2tp over ipsec, in order to enable remote windows l2tp/ipsec clients
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    some combination of ipsec /
    vnc / rdp

?
    rm -rf /
  • Trim LeeTrim Lee Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you heard about the technology called Desktop Virtualization? Numbers of software vendors are rolling out desktop-virtualization offerings. They simply manage entire lifecycle of virtual desktops making it easy to create, deliver, secure, and control the virtual desktop. You can look forward depending upon the requirements at your organization.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Trim Lee wrote:
    Have you heard about the technology called Desktop Virtualization? Numbers of software vendors are rolling out desktop-virtualization offerings. They simply manage entire lifecycle of virtual desktops making it easy to create, deliver, secure, and control the virtual desktop. You can look forward depending upon the requirements at your organization.

Yeah, the marketing guys at VMware and Citrix would have you believe they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but really all they are is another tool to use if your requirements dictate it.
  • marlon23marlon23 Member Posts: 164 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

The device you are looking for is Cisco's ASA:

- Firewall
    - Intrusion Prevention System
    - VPN access (both SSL and IPSec)

VPN technology to choose is either IPsec or SSL. Both provide solid security, SSL is much more flexible, IPsec gives better performance.
    LAB: 7609-S, 7606-S, 10008, 2x 7301, 7204, 7201 + bunch of ISRs & CAT switches
  • Morgan MargaretMorgan Margaret Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The discussion simply directs towards something like virtual PCs. Well, there are many Virtual Desktop Solutions that removes the growing complexity of desktop environment, it has become a service offering.

Try the tools, technology and services provided by "Mokafive". Check out:

http://www.mokafive.com/
  • DAVID CARLEYDAVID CARLEY Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have heard about their technology called “Predictive Fetching” that helps virtual computers start faster and update quickly. This technology is even cost effective and tune faster with existing configurations. Which means you’ll be able to decrease user downtime and increase user satisfaction.

With MokaFive, you can test new applications without fear of damaging your system. In fact you could plan to expand to new areas as well.
  • Jack RainoJack Raino Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MokaFive is proving itself. Their unique format for creating virtual machines is called LivePC which updates dynamically, works from anywhere, and starts up in an instant. MokaFive centrally manages the entire lifecycle of users' virtual desktops making it easy to create, deliver, update, and control the virtual desktop.
  • DAVID CARLEYDAVID CARLEY Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The technology that MokaFive uses is compatible with multi-platforms. Its LivePC can be installed on a desktop, laptop or any portable storage device. And,that’s something no other solution in the market provides.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is it only me or has this thread turned into a sales pitch for "MokaFive"? ;)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It looks like spam because of all the new accounts, but they all registered weeks ago.

This seems like a highly coordinated effort that has been in the works for some time icon_eek.gif
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If for no other reason than this thread and the spam postings, I will never use or recommend using that product. If a company has to resort to advertising via troll posts on forums, well, what does that say about the product.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Has anyone actually used the MokaFive products? Just because a couple of newbie marketers don't realize that obvious spam can illicit a negative reaction to their product doesn't mean the product isn't any good.

The proper way is to contact Webmaster@techexams.net and offer to give review copies of their MokeFive product to the users of this Virtualization forum in exchange for product reviews written by actual users. TE does that for its advertisers and would certainly consider that for potential advertisers and affiliates as well.
  • averyjasaveryjas Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, but I prefer my "Moka at Six" in the morning, when I get up. The previous posts all sound like marketing ploys to me.