Options

Start with os exam or networking exam?

Hey guys, what's your opinion should I start my MCSE track with a hardware exam such as 70-620 or 70-270 or dive right into the 70-290's? I have working knowledge of both types but wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doesn't matter. I think 270 and 290 are interchangeable. I actually did 290 first. 620 is by far the easiest of the group, and I felt it was geared more towards home use than business use. It might be a good way to get acclimated to MS exams if you haven't taken one before.
  • Options
    Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    I would suggest knocking out 270 or 620 as that is your client exam then start with 290 and move right down the line 290, 291, 293, 294, 297/298, then last elective

(That's just what I did, I'm sure many people take different tracks but it was very easy that way for me)

How ever you do it, good luck!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll agree with dynamik here, I found the 270 & 290 to be rather interchangeable. The 290 just adds some basic Active Directory concepts and procedures on top of all of the knowledge from the 270. I personally thought it was a bit easier especially since it had simulations on it. There are no sims on the 270 it is purely slogging through multiple choice questions. They are both a good introduction to the difficulty level and style of question for Microsoft exams. So starting off with either the 270 or 290 would be my recommendation and then just move up through the line from there. Maybe after you have done the 270 & 290 it would be a good idea for a break to fill out your elective. I would personally recommend the Security+ because it gets you an additional certification and gives you a good grounding in basic security concepts and procedures.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    If you have both client and server experience....then yeah, you can flip a coin. Heads, 70-270...tails, 70-270. I did my 70-290 first, then 70-270. But i agree with the dynamic one and Undomiel and they are basically the same as far as difficulty. Can't go wrong with Security+ as well, that's what I did.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I began with 70-290, and it's not a bad way to go. Regardless of which you pick, though, I'd recommend doing 70-620 instead of 70-270, simply because the Vista exam counts towards the MCSA/MCSE track and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, whereas the XP exam counts only towards MCSA/MCSE. That, and the fact that you get the MCTS for the Vista exam, as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Okay, here's my plan: 70-620 ( I use Vista at work so it can't be too hard), 70-290, then Security+. After that...the rest of the core. Thanks for the help guys.
  • Options
    mand0mand0 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Okay, here's my plan: 70-620 ( I use Vista at work so it can't be too hard), 70-290, then Security+. After that...the rest of the core. Thanks for the help guys.

I like this, seems like a good approach for me too. Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Yeah, don't do 70-270. 70-620 qualifies for your client exam for both MCSE and MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, so you'd kill two birds with one stone with that exam.
    Good luck to all!