Windows 7

george.cgeorge.c Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Windows 7 does anyone know whats happening with it? is going to come out nexts year? Will vista die when it does?
Hacking the MainFrame's

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Just like Vista was in development for years before it was launched, Windows 7 is being developed by Microsoft. It's not due out for quite some time, and it will probably be a similar transition that we saw with Windows 9x/2000 to XP, and now that we're seeing with XP to Vista. I wouldn't hold my breath, though, I remember reading an article about "Windows Whistler" back in 2000, which would eventually turn out to be Windows XP.

(Whistler, being the codename for early XP builds, and still appears as such when scanned with tools like Everest. It's the same type of naming-convention that Vista and Server 2008 had for a long time: Longhorn.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • ThiassiThiassi Member Posts: 167
    I think MS recently said 2010 for Windows 7 but more likely 2011.
    ~Thiassi
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    (Whistler, being the codename for early XP builds, and still appears as such when scanned with tools like Everest. It's the same type of naming-convention that Vista and Server 2008 had for a long time: Longhorn.)
    Yup Whistler followed by Blackcomb (both names come from two awesome skiing mountains near Vancouver and a short"ish" drive from Redmond, then they decided to push back on Blackcomb (which has since been scrapped) so they added "Longhorn" (Windows Vista/Server 200icon_cool.gif codenamed after an apres-ski bar at the base of (and "in between") the two mountains.

Little bit of trivia for everyone. :D
  • george.cgeorge.c Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see there's a beta version of Windows 7 or is this a fake?
    Hacking the MainFrame's
    Considering that Windows 2008 just RTM'd a few months ago you can rest assured it's fake.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's probably pre-alpha at this point. I've seen people complaining that it's just like Vista.

At this stage in the game, what do you really expect? icon_lol.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    george.c wrote:
    I see there's a beta version of Windows 7 or is this a fake?
    Do you have a link to confirm that?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • george.cgeorge.c Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah this isn't a beta (or even an alpha), its just an internal build only loosely removed from the Windows 2008 code.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote:
    It's probably pre-alpha at this point. I've seen people complaining that it's just like Vista.

If you read the comments, you'll see ^ that guy was dead on ;)